Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Read the ad, Parents
sharlan 08:22 AM 07-07-2014
Every single one of my ads starts out stating that I take the kids on frequent outings and if you don't want your child taken out to please not call.

I got a call last night from a mom that was "just looking" as she's not ready to start daycare for 2 or 3 mos yet. I got the usual questions - 1) pay?, 2) do you have infant spaces?, 3) how many kids, what ages?

Oh, you have school aged kids? Me:yes
Do you take them to school? No, my dds do and my dh picks them up.
Oh, good, so you don't take the other kids out? Yes, we go on frequent outings.
No, you'll have to stay home. I don't want my child taken out. Me:No, we go on frequent outings.
No one else can take infants so you'll have to stay home. Me:I'm sorry, but we go on frequent outings.
Ok, Ill call in a few weeks to set up an interview.

I understand that people don't want their children taken out. I really do. Those parents need to call someone else because I DON'T stay home.
Michelle 08:33 AM 07-07-2014
100% agree with you!
I love it that you are not willing to budge
It is so refreshing to get out and teach them about things they read in books
Have you tried the Discovery Science center yet?
It's in Orange County but totally worth the drive
www.discoverycube.org/
$99 for the annual family pass includes 4 kids 3 and older and additional kids are $20 and then you can add a year for just $25
We go there ALOT!

What are your field trips for the Summer?
Blackcat31 08:36 AM 07-07-2014
Originally Posted by sharlan:
Every single one of my ads starts out stating that I take the kids on frequent outings and if you don't want your child taken out to please not call.

I got a call last night from a mom that was "just looking" as she's not ready to start daycare for 2 or 3 mos yet. I got the usual questions - 1) pay?, 2) do you have infant spaces?, 3) how many kids, what ages?

Oh, you have school aged kids? Me:yes
Do you take them to school? No, my dds do and my dh picks them up.
Oh, good, so you don't take the other kids out? Yes, we go on frequent outings.
No, you'll have to stay home. I don't want my child taken out. Me:No, we go on frequent outings.
No one else can take infants so you'll have to stay home. Me:I'm sorry, but we go on frequent outings.
Ok, Ill call in a few weeks to set up an interview.

I understand that people don't want their children taken out. I really do. Those parents need to call someone else because I DON'T stay home.
But SHE said she doesn't want you to take her baby out so looks like you will have to stay home from now on...

If she calls in a few weeks to set up an interview, tell her you don't have any available time to interview because you are too busy driving the kids around.

Seems this is pretty common now days. Not the transporting but the "I don't want this part of your services so you'll have to change that" attitude.
Second Home 09:20 AM 07-07-2014
I had one set of dcp that did not want their child transported if I had to pick up one of my kids at school .I gave them the option of either coming to get their child or their child coming to the school to pick up my kid . I guess they expected me to leave my sick child at school all day .
I wonder what the school would do if I refused to pick up my child like some parents do.
midaycare 09:22 AM 07-07-2014
I don't take the kids out, but I've been thinking about changing policy. I wonder how that will go over with my current parents
Shell 10:39 AM 07-07-2014
How much more clear can you be?! I find parents challenging rules and wanting me to extend my hours. I guess there must be some providers out there that will do anything for money, and the arguing and negotiating of policies works out for the parent.
caregiver 10:43 AM 07-07-2014
I used to the kids out in my car to different places, but have stopped doing that now as I don't want the responsibility of being liable if something unforeseen happened. I am a very good driver, but still, you never know what can happen.
Some of my DCP'S parents have said it is okay to take their child out and some just prefer you not to.
If an emergency came up, then I would have to take them, otherwise no.

My own kids are all grown up, but if they were small and I had them in a daycare, I don't think that I myself would be comfortable with someone else taking them in their car.

But I know what you mean about people not paying attention to your ad, it's frustrating.
melilley 11:14 AM 07-07-2014
My mouth dropped open reading this! I can't believe she said that you have to stay home! I like bc's idea of telling her you don't have time to do an interview because you're too busy driving around !

I don't think they really do read the ads or they think they can change something. When I was advertising for a child who was 30 months and older, I received calls for everything but that age. I also had a call when I didn't have an opening and I told her that and she said "well when I move there, I WILL bring my ds to your house". I had to repeatedly tell her I didn't have any openings.
sharlan 11:18 AM 07-07-2014
I have her number written down so if she calls again, I'll just tell her NO!

If you don't want your child taken out, then I am the wrong provider for you. There are more than enough providers in this area for parents to look elsewhere.
sharlan 11:20 AM 07-07-2014
Originally Posted by Michelle:
100% agree with you!
www.discoverycube.org/
$99 for the annual family pass includes 4 kids 3 and older and additional kids are $20 and then you can add a year for just $25
We go there ALOT!

I quit going to the Discovery Center. The last few times I was there all the displays were broken and the kids didn't enjoy it.
Angelsj 11:41 AM 07-07-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
But SHE said she doesn't want you to take her baby out so looks like you will have to stay home from now on...

If she calls in a few weeks to set up an interview, tell her you don't have any available time to interview because you are too busy driving the kids around.

Seems this is pretty common now days. Not the transporting but the "I don't want this part of your services so you'll have to change that" attitude.
Roflmao. We would have been done at the first "you'll have to stay home."
sharlan 11:44 AM 07-07-2014
Originally Posted by Michelle:
100% agree with you!
www.discoverycube.org/
We go there ALOT!

We go to Raging Waters on Tues, Corona del Mar Beach on Thurs. Sometime over the summer we'll be going whale watching, Aquarium of the Pacific, Irvine Park to ride the ponies and the train, Knott's Berry Farm, Museum of Natural History, etc.
Blackcat31 11:47 AM 07-07-2014
We go to Raging Waters on Tues, Corona del Mar Beach on Thurs. Sometime over the summer we'll be going whale watching, Aquarium of the Pacific, Irvine Park to ride the ponies and the train, Knott's Berry Farm, Museum of Natural History, etc.
Geez....I sooooooo want to be one of your DCK's!!!

I want to do that stuff.
melilley 11:48 AM 07-07-2014
Wow, I want to come to your daycare! I'm too afraid to take the kids out by myself, I have a challenging one in the group, but even if I didn't, I would still be afraid.
Angelsj 11:53 AM 07-07-2014

I want to do that stuff.
Me too!
Michelle 12:12 PM 07-07-2014

I want to do that stuff.
yes, she is a pretty awesome provider

sharlan 05:18 PM 07-07-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
Wow, I want to come to your daycare! I'm too afraid to take the kids out by myself, I have a challenging one in the group, but even if I didn't, I would still be afraid.
To be honest, I don't know anything different. I started daycare when my girls were 5 & 7 (30 years ago). I quit a fantastic job so that my kids could have a life outside of daycare and enjoy their summers. Growing up, my kids always helped with the younger kids. Now depending on the outing, I have my dh, my 2 dds, granddaughter, and former daycare kids, helping.

I forgot, we also go to the movies every Friday. We'll also be going to the Great Park in Irvine to ride the hot air balloon.
Meeko 06:43 PM 07-07-2014
Originally Posted by Shell:
How much more clear can you be?! I find parents challenging rules and wanting me to extend my hours. I guess there must be some providers out there that will do anything for money, and the arguing and negotiating of policies works out for the parent.
A lot of parents take the attitude "I'm paying you, so you will do as you're told". They really don't have a clue that they aren't hiring a nanny. They think they are.

The woman who "told" you, you would have to stay home, would not dream of calling a local store, find out they close and 9PM and then say "Oh that doesn't work for me, you'll have to stay open until 10".

Or when being told that her local gym doesn't accept credit cards, tell them "Well I don't use cash, so you'll have to take my card". She would accept that is their business practice.

But for some reason she thinks she can tell you whether or not you are allowed to leave your home!!!!!!!

I've seen it over and over with parents telling me what I can and can't do in my home. Of course they don't get a place in it either
Reply Up