Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Outdoor space?
BabyMonkeys 07:04 AM 02-06-2015
I've always just taken the babies (two 14m + 8m) out for walks in their wagon for their outdoor time. Now that they are mobile, I need to set up an outdoor space for them to actually play. I have a good sized fenced in back yard, but I have no idea what to put out there for them to play with. What do your littles like to do outside?
MrsSteinel'sHouse 07:10 AM 02-06-2015
I have one of the small older Little Tykes cubes that they love and a Little Tykes tunnel (again 18 yrs old) They like to dig in the dirt (or sand) I have several push toys and trucks out there. Balls, bubbles, water play are all popular in the warer weather. Right now it is bundle up go out run around in the snow, go down the slide a few times and come back in!
Unregistered 07:12 AM 02-06-2015
I have little tykes slides, picnic table, small dump trucks and cars. I also have a bigger swing set with a slide 2 swings and a teeter todder. We take out balls, bubbles, chalk in a basket when we head outside (weather permitting) I have a ride on tractor (pedal) a small little tykes teeter todder and will be picking up a few cozy coupes and a climber this spring.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 07:20 AM 02-06-2015
Oh and Easter Eggs! I don't know why a couple of years ago we had a bunch out there and they were such a hit that when I tried to get rid of them... they wanted them back. So now I stock up on them and keep some out there. Yes, they dug out the 1/2 eggs (as they end up being) in the snow and placed them in a cool pattern!

So, buy Easter Eggs
jenboo 07:31 AM 02-06-2015
Balls, trucks, slides, plastic animals, plastic people, play dishes and food, ride on toys...
Josiegirl 10:05 AM 02-06-2015
For the past couple summers one of their favorite things to do outside is cook on their old play kitchen with yard sale finds such as pots, pans, colanders, and spoons.
And the 3's and up love being able to draw with chalk everywhere. I had a privacy fence put in a couple years ago and they love drawing all over it.
Last summer I brought our water table outdoors and that was a favorite as well.
butterfly 11:01 AM 02-06-2015
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
Oh and Easter Eggs! I don't know why a couple of years ago we had a bunch out there and they were such a hit that when I tried to get rid of them... they wanted them back. So now I stock up on them and keep some out there. Yes, they dug out the 1/2 eggs (as they end up being) in the snow and placed them in a cool pattern!

So, buy Easter Eggs
I love your kids!

Great tip, I'm going to give that a try. Never thought of using them as a free play item. I do different learning activities with them. (matching games, memory games - hide items under each half, and letter and number matching - writing upper case and lower case letters on each half for them to match with)

I wonder if my kids will go or when I get them out for free play.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 01:39 PM 02-06-2015
Originally Posted by butterfly:
I love your kids!

Great tip, I'm going to give that a try. Never thought of using them as a free play item. I do different learning activities with them. (matching games, memory games - hide items under each half, and letter and number matching - writing upper case and lower case letters on each half for them to match with)

I wonder if my kids will go or when I get them out for free play.
Thanks I love my kids too

They roll them down the slides. They hide them. They put them in the trucks and push them around.

They decorate with them Just be sure that they are pulled out of the grass before you mow They have to end up in my mulched part or in the castle or mud pit.

They also have a bunch of cool rocks (but those can really get hidden) and some log pieces in the "mud pit"

oh my "older ones" 3-5 have really been into frisbees too.
CraftyMom 08:41 PM 02-06-2015
Are you looking for ideas for the babies?

In warmer weather I put them down and let them explore near me on a blanket or in the grass. If the are crawling forget the blanket because they won't stay on it! I also bring a play pen for when I have to walk away, or the activity center (excersaucer thing)

Right now we have a ton of snow so my infants (7 and 9 months) sit in the sled, wagon or stroller while the kids play. If I am able to have my assistant come over I will have her take them in before us, just so they get some air.

As far as toys for I just bring out a few toys for in the play pen or on the blanket. Nothing in particular, whatever I grab.
LK5kids 03:49 PM 02-08-2015
Snow right now!! Two play houses, play dishes/food, small climber, big climber, balls, water table and a sand table, cozy coupes, ride on toys-no pedals, three picnic tables, small Fisher Price slide, FP basket ball hoop, tiny Little tykes wagons, FP push popper toys....usually an indoor toy-they love them outside, FP lawn mower.
Unregistered 02:02 AM 02-09-2015
If the weather is warm enough to really hang out outside, you can do almost anything out side that you do inside. If you have a table and chairs, you can use that as a station that you change every time you go out. You can bring out a basket with paper and markers, or a shallow wide bowl with a little paint and sponges cut in stamp shapes with paper, or trays with playdough and playdough accessories (rollers, cutters or small plastic animals), or cars and toy garage, or anything. For large motor equipment, I would try to find versatile items. I agree that a slide is a great large motor item. I don't love swings since they're so passive- the kids don't get a lot of exercise using them. I think a sandbox is fantastic for a lot of digging, water play and imaginative play. Good luck- have fun! To me, creating awesome spaces is the funniest part of this work!
Reply Up