Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCB Help
midaycare 10:55 AM 02-13-2015
I have a dcb who is here on Thurs & Fri. He has hippy parents. And there's nothing wrong with that (no offense to any hippies here), but the parental guidance is really lax. Like this morning he was hurting my cat and dcm said in a super-sweet voice, "Dcb, how about every time you want to hug the cat, you hug yourself instead?"

The issues I have with dcb are listening to me. I tell him not to do something or touch something, he does it anyway. I tell him again, he says, "okay", and then immediately does it. It's like a total lack of impulse control. And he can be rough with the other kids. Not always, but he can be. He's been in my care since the first week in December, and I have rinsed and repeated so many times with him - nothing works.

He will be 2 in June.

He is also very active. He has to move, move, move. He can have periods of downtime for a little bit, but he likes to move very quickly from one activity to another. This little dude is out of my league. I need some advice!
cara041083 11:03 AM 02-13-2015
I had a boy like this that had been diagnosed with really bad ADHD but the mom didn't want to seek treatment until he started school. He just turned 4. I had him from Oct 1st to last week. Every day was a struggle. Same thing with your DCB. He was sweet but wouldn't listen, sit or play well with others. He was rough with everyone and constantly had to be moving. I got to a point where I dreaded every day. I finally realized that some things our out of our control and I termed and his day was last week. I didn't have any one to put in the spot but my days are sooo much better. I did end up finding someone to take the spot and it is a night and day difference for everyone. So my advise would be to term. This job is hard enough, its not worth making it harder. to you!
Unregistered 01:13 PM 02-13-2015
Re:
I tell the kids in front of the parents that the cats are not toys and they need to be left alone.
Thriftylady 02:02 PM 02-13-2015
I hate to say this, but with the parents not backing you up, it isn't going to get any better. I would be doing a probation in writing XYZ needs to change, you have X time to change it. At that point we will discuss progress and either rewrite the probation or do a termination notice. And use those words, as far a termination that way you are putting the parents on notice that THEY have to do something. In cases like this it is not the fault of the child but the parents and it won't change if they don't change.
Midaycare logged out 07:26 AM 02-14-2015
This is so hard to hear - to just term. Dcb was a referral from a full- time dcf currently here. They are good friends and work together. I have no clue what dcf #1 would do if I term, but it's definitely time to start probation/warnings and start getting ready for term. Sigh ...
Silly Songs 01:24 PM 02-14-2015
If he isn't even 2 , you need other ways to communicate with him. That age is notorious for not listening. They are still babies.
Controlled Chaos 09:43 PM 02-14-2015
Originally Posted by Silly Songs:
If he isn't even 2 , you need other ways to communicate with him. That age is notorious for not listening. They are still babies.
This is what I was thinking too. Redirect redirect. 2 days a week for one so little is hard. It just takes longer to train one so little
Josiegirl 04:46 AM 02-15-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
This is what I was thinking too. Redirect redirect. 2 days a week for one so little is hard. It just takes longer to train one so little
Yep yep yep!! And keep him active, dancing, exercising, whatever gross motor you can come up with. Toddlers are still toy dumpers, tail pullers, and all that. They're not good listeners. Yes, they can be challenging but I still see them as innocent little moldable beings.
Reply Up