Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Time Off
cara041083 04:55 AM 04-08-2015
I have in my contact that I get 1 week vacation, and 3 pto days. I also have it in my contact that if I close for any reason I don't charge for that day. Well I'm tired and I'm burnt out. I have a group of families that are really taking advantage of me and acting like they own me and my home. I have decided to add more time off and change the policy on if I close. Is it to much to get 2 weeks off a year (one week paid and one week not) as well as 5 pto days instead of 3? I need honest opinions. I don't want to go overboard because I'm worn out. But I'm tired of living and breathing daycare. I have missed everything with my kids and school and in all honesty if I didn't have to do daycare I wouldn't. I just feel like the little time I get off just isn't enough to regroup.
Gemma 05:07 AM 04-08-2015
I don't think it's too much if that's what you think you need, but in my opinion what you need is new families and less tolerance for disrespect!

DaveA 05:15 AM 04-08-2015
That's a reasonable number IMHO. Sounds like you also need to either reestablish some boundaries with DCPs or slowly start replacing families.
LysesKids 05:20 AM 04-08-2015
I ALWAYS take one week off every 5-6 months - add in weekends & maybe a Monday holiday & I get 9-10 straight days of no babies lol; I explain to parents it's to keep me from burning out. I also refuse to work Sunday for any reason (Saturdays I do drop-in by appointment 2 times month). I put in anywhere from 50-60 week with kids under 24 months, I need a break .
DaveA 05:29 AM 04-08-2015
Dear DCPS

In order to be fair to my family and continue to provide the highest possible care I can, the following changes are going to be necessary:

Effective XXXX, my PTO days will be increasing from 3 to 5 and I will be adding an additional week of vacation time.

Non emergency calls/texts/emails will be answered during business hours only. Please feel free to leave a message but it is my discretion if I answer during my family time or not.

Contract and policy addendums will be going out reflect the time off changes. Please take this time to review my policies and procedures. These will be enforced strictly from this point forward. As always if you have any questions or need a clarification, feel free to ask.

Thank you for your cooperation
Sincerely

Something like that would be a good start.
cara041083 05:44 AM 04-08-2015
Originally Posted by Gemma:
I don't think it's too much if that's what you think you need, but in my opinion what you need is new families and less tolerance for disrespect!
I 100% agree! My husband wants me to let everyone go and start fresh. I have explained to him that it's not that simple. I use to be in charge and over time I feel like I have lost it. I think this is the step I need to gain my control back.
cara041083 05:46 AM 04-08-2015
Originally Posted by DaveArmour:
Dear DCPS

In order to be fair to my family and continue to provide the highest possible care I can, the following changes are going to be necessary:

Effective XXXX, my PTO days will be increasing from 3 to 5 and I will be adding an additional week of vacation time.

Non emergency calls/texts/emails will be answered during business hours only. Please feel free to leave a message but it is my discretion if I answer during my family time or not.

Contract and policy addendums will be going out reflect the time off changes. Please take this time to review my policies and procedures. These will be enforced strictly from this point forward. As always if you have any questions or need a clarification, feel free to ask.

Thank you for your cooperation
Sincerely

Something like that would be a good start.
This helps me so much! I was at a loss of how to spell it out. Thank you so much!
Josiegirl 10:37 AM 04-08-2015
I have attended a couple trainings about daycare and financing; and they always tell us we really need to be getting paid 52 weeks a year. Dcps take their needed time off, appointments, doing their kids' stuff at school, going on vacations...why shouldn't we??
Nothing like giving up time off and work work work, to give you burn-out. Then who will take care of you?
Annalee 10:43 AM 04-08-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I have attended a couple trainings about daycare and financing; and they always tell us we really need to be getting paid 52 weeks a year. Dcps take their needed time off, appointments, doing their kids' stuff at school, going on vacations...why shouldn't we??
Nothing like giving up time off and work work work, to give you burn-out. Then who will take care of you?
AGREED!!!! I take all school holidays, unlimited professional days ( usually 4-6 per year), 5 personal days to be used separate or consecutively, unlimited emergency days, 2 weeks vacation and an extra day around Memorial Day and July 4th. As providers, don't you all feel like we give back enough to deserve this with 52 weeks pay a year!
lilcupcakes09 10:47 AM 04-08-2015
Absolutely give yourself more time! I personally have 2 weeks vacation, 5 personal days, and 5 sick days, and 12 Holidays which are all PAID!! And I make all school events, my kids come first!
Never have I lost any kids because of it either!
I took off 3 weeks for maternity leave at the end of last year(that wasn't paid), but it was so nice to have my days all to myself with my family, I didn't realize how burnt out I was, it was difficult coming back!
Annalee 10:55 AM 04-08-2015
Originally Posted by lilcupcakes09:
Absolutely give yourself more time! I personally have 2 weeks vacation, 5 personal days, and 5 sick days, and 12 Holidays which are all PAID!! And I make all school events, my kids come first!
Never have I lost any kids because of it either!
I took off 3 weeks for maternity leave at the end of last year(that wasn't paid), but it was so nice to have my days all to myself with my family, I didn't realize how burnt out I was, it was difficult coming back!
I like it! I just want 12 paying kids that WANT to be in my program. My contract is non-negotiable as well! Good for you!
Reply Up