Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Difficulty Singing?
daycarediva 10:39 AM 10-12-2017
Have you seen any correlation between kids who struggle with singing, remembering lyrics specifically, to lack of literacy skills overall? Not just expressive, but receptive language skills, forming sentences, improper pronoun usage, alphabet recognition, that sort of thing?

Obviously anecdotal, but I have seen many similarities in literacy skills and singing with the kids I have cared for. I've never come across it in literature anywhere, although there's plenty of articles about music promoting literacy skills, so the opposite should be true, right?

I have a 3yo who cannot sing the ABC's, or any of our short, simple, songs throughout our day after a MONTH of FT care. She also can't do things like recognize her name tag (even thought it's also color coded). I also have kids that attend 2 days a week that have missed time that are singing all of them perfectly, repeating them at home, and recognizing letters of their name after the same amount of time in care, but for less than 1/2 the number of days.
Ariana 10:54 AM 10-12-2017
That is so interesting! I have not noticed this myself but I find this kind of thing so fascinating. Have you googled it?

I had noticed that many of my kids with speech delays also tip toe walked. I looked it up to see if there was any correlation and lo and behold I found a study which linked speech delay and tip toe walking to an 80% chance of having a learning disability later.
daycarediva 11:26 AM 10-12-2017
I tried, but all I find are artificial cakes (haha I'm keeping the auto correct) ARTICLES about singing helping language development. Haha!

I never noticed the tip toe walking, but my own sons did , had a delay, was DX with autism! Interesting!!
Hunni Bee 11:38 AM 10-12-2017
I haven't seen/heard of this specifically before, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I've always heard that music/singing was a factor in greater retention of material learned. I would guess reverse would be true - children who have a hard time producing song/music/rhythm would also have trouble learning and retaining certain things.

That's so interesting.
finsup 11:50 AM 10-12-2017
I haven't, but it wouldn't hold true with my oldest. He did not, and would not sing when he was younger (he's 6 now). It's only been his year where he *tries* to sing along with music and yeah, he just can't. However, at 18 months the kid was speaking in full, clear, 5+ word sentences and could hold a conversation with an adult no problem. Last year as he ended kindergarten, he tested at a 3rd grade level for reading. The kid is just really good with vocab/reading etc.

My other two kids both love to sing. One is doing fine with speech, not crazy ahead like my son but no issues either. My youngest has some delays, how much I'm not really sure yet but it's a discussion I'll be having with his doctor for his two year old check.
flying_babyb 01:57 PM 10-14-2017
I had a few barley verbal kids when I started in my classroom. Neither of them would sing with us, do letter sounds (a says AH AHAHAH B says Ba ba ba), or play the letter game (what letter, what letter what letter is this?). I brought in my copy of pete from home and BAM! I swear the flood gates opened. My whole class sings "im ______ in my school shoes" every time we change activities. the barley verbal kids still dont join in our other songs much, but will sing pete. Keep trying maybe they just need to find there song
Annalee 06:01 AM 10-15-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
That is so interesting! I have not noticed this myself but I find this kind of thing so fascinating. Have you googled it?

I had noticed that many of my kids with speech delays also tip toe walked. I looked it up to see if there was any correlation and lo and behold I found a study which linked speech delay and tip toe walking to an 80% chance of having a learning disability later.
Dcg1.5 tiptoe walks. My niece tiptoe walked as a toddler also and she is autistic, now in her 20's. I know 1.5 is too early to be diagnosed with autism but there are strong similarities.....dcg1.5 just hollers out at random for no reason, doesn't like new people talking to her, doesn't want to be touched, etc. I am keeping an eye on her. I have mentioned some of this to mom without using the word autism yet just to make sure she noticed, but that is as far as I have gone with it so far.
Tags:artistic capabilities, motor skills, singing
Reply Up