Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Wonder What Causes Some Kids To Just Not Sleep
sahm2three 07:42 AM 01-11-2011
Some kids to just not sleep. Neither of my boys were sleepers when they were babies either. And my oldest some didn't sleep thru the night until he was 5! And I have this 9 mo colicky baby who just doesn't sleep. I just wonder what that is about. I know some people just don't require as much sleep. But at 9 months, and not sleeping well at night either, you would THINK that he would sleep during the day. So far he hasn't slept this morning, and is just a screaming mess! Ugh. Going to be a long day! Someone said it would be a lucky day since it is 1/11/11. Not for me so far! But he WILL stay in the PNP until morning nap is OVER! Ugh.
MG&Lsmom 07:55 AM 01-11-2011
I wonder myself. My son is a great daytime sleeper, but not at night for the past 18 months. At 5 months he just stopped sleeping more than 20 mins at a time at night and routinely gets up between 4 & 4:30am. But he'll sleep for 4 hours straight during the day.

The dcg I termed in Oct was the same way. At 3 months she would not sleep at all in my care. Screamed for 2 months straight. Slept the whole afternoon and night at home. Parents assumed I wasn't attending to her needs.
alyssyn 08:00 AM 01-11-2011
I have also wondered what makes a child not sleep well. Could be one of many things. I have a 10 mo. old in care and she naps very well. But my own ds3 has never had a night that he slept all the way through! Which he has always had acid reflux since birth and that may in itself be a huge factor for him. He takes medication daily for this, but is still not a sleeper.
Blackcat31 08:07 AM 01-11-2011
That is weird because I wonder too....my dd slept through the night early on and took naps for up to 2 hours until she was 4. She went to bed early and woke up late if I left her to sleep. Then ds comes along and didn't sleep through the night, I swear, until he was 4 years old. He napped in tiny little bits of time like 20 minutes twice a day and to this very day, (he is 19) he is up until well past midnight and is awake before me at 5 a.m.! I wonder if it has to do more with boys than girls? Just fishin' in the dark with that one but it does make a person wonder why some people need sleep and others don't. Personally, I sleep like 5 hours a night and no more. I never take naps because I hate waking up and why would I want to do that more than once a day?!? I think sleeping is a waste of my time! LOL!! I have way too much to do....
sahm2three 08:41 AM 01-11-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
That is weird because I wonder too....my dd slept through the night early on and took naps for up to 2 hours until she was 4. She went to bed early and woke up late if Ileft her to sleep. Then ds comes along and didn't sleep through the night, I swear, until he was 4 years old. He napped in tiny little bits of time like 20 minutes twice a day and to this very day, (he is 19) he is up until well past midnight and is awake before me at 5 a.m.! I wonder if it has to do more with boys than girls? Just fishin' in the dark with that one but it does make a person wonder wh some people need sleep and others don't. Personally, I sleep like 5 hours a night and no more. I never take naps because I hate waking up and why would I want to do that more than once a day?!? I think sleeping is a waste of my time! LOL!! I have way too much to do....
I honestly wonder too! Because my daughter was a sleeping dream! Slept thru the night starting around 5 months and has always gone to bed good, and would sleep in given the chance. But with her brothers in the house, not much of a chance with thost two noise makers! See, I LOVE to sleep! Before starting daycare, I napped with my toddler all the time! It was fantastic! To me, there is nothing more relaxing and peaceful than an afternoon nap. Now if I could just convince these little boys of that! They take so much out of me! My own and the dcb's! It is hard to enjoy doing this as a job when you are so worn out from working 12 hours a day and then taking care of your family all night long. Ugh.
MG&Lsmom 08:50 AM 01-11-2011
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
I honestly wonder too! Because my daughter was a sleeping dream! Slept thru the night starting around 5 months and has always gone to bed good, and would sleep in given the chance. But with her brothers in the house, not much of a chance with thost two noise makers! See, I LOVE to sleep! Before starting daycare, I napped with my toddler all the time! It was fantastic! To me, there is nothing more relaxing and peaceful than an afternoon nap. Now if I could just convince these little boys of that! They take so much out of me! My own and the dcb's! It is hard to enjoy doing this as a job when you are so worn out from working 12 hours a day and then taking care of your family all night long. Ugh.
Exactly! And since I have no DCKs today, I'm off to nap with my toddler. Working on 8 hours of sleep in 2 days and I have a meeting tonight that will likely last until 10 or 11.
Tags:sleep problems, won't sleep
Reply Up