Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Age Do Your Dc Kids Typically Leave?
I'm a registered member 08:11 AM 02-23-2011
I am just wondering at what age do your dc kids leave for "real" school?

I have such a wide variety of kids here now and the parents plans are all so different.
DCK #1 - 24 months - mom plans on keeping her here through Kindy and going to b/a school care with me. She will not be attending "real" preschool.
DCK #2 - 5 years old - never been to "real" preschool. Starting K in the fall. Also has younger sibling who will follow suit.
DCK #3 - 38 moths old - DC parents just started talking "real" school for the fall. This would be 2 years of "real" school before Kindy based on the cutoffs here.

What do you say when parents mention "real" preschool and you offer and utilize a pre-k curriculum? If the child is excelling and ahead of where they should be for their age, do you point that out to the parents? Do you make sure to send home tangible evidence (worksheets, etc) as "proof" that they are learning?

We tend to do a lot of real life learning here and I am beginning to wonder if the lack of product sent home is the reason they feel the need for "real" preschool.
nannyde 09:07 AM 02-23-2011
kindy
Cat Herder 09:16 AM 02-23-2011
4 years and/or they outgrow my equipment/services.
mickey2 09:23 AM 02-23-2011
All of the 6 children in my care right now came to me as soon as mom had to go back to work after her maternity leave was up when they were between 4 weeks -11 months old and all have been here long term. All the ones no longer here, stayed until going to school as well. Children start school at 4 years old.

Right now I have
dcg 18 months here since 6 months old
dcg 24 months here since 11 months old
dcg 24 months here since 11 months old
dcb 30 months here since 4 weeks old (had his SA brother for 3 years prior to this)
dcb 3.5 years here since 11 months old (going to school in September )
dcg 4 years old here since 11 months (also going to school in September )
Unregistered 09:51 AM 02-23-2011
For me it usually is when they are old enough to go to Kindergarten. I had one dcg stay with me until she was 7 years old. Her Mom then had to quit working to help take care of her Mother who was dying of cancer. I took her when she was only 2 months old. She grew up with my 2 boys,which were 5 & 7 at the time I got her and they bonded so well that they consider themselves like brothers & sister and she is like a daughter to me. She is 23 yrs old now and is married and has 2 children of her own, We still keep in touch and see each other quite often. My son's even invited her to both of their weddings.
daycare 09:57 AM 02-23-2011
Originally Posted by I'm a registered member:
I am just wondering at what age do your dc kids leave for "real" school?

I have such a wide variety of kids here now and the parents plans are all so different.
DCK #1 - 24 months - mom plans on keeping her here through Kindy and going to b/a school care with me. She will not be attending "real" preschool.
DCK #2 - 5 years old - never been to "real" preschool. Starting K in the fall. Also has younger sibling who will follow suit.
DCK #3 - 38 moths old - DC parents just started talking "real" school for the fall. This would be 2 years of "real" school before Kindy based on the cutoffs here.

What do you say when parents mention "real" preschool and you offer and utilize a pre-k curriculum? If the child is excelling and ahead of where they should be for their age, do you point that out to the parents? Do you make sure to send home tangible evidence (worksheets, etc) as "proof" that they are learning?

We tend to do a lot of real life learning here and I am beginning to wonder if the lack of product sent home is the reason they feel the need for "real" preschool.
I am not a big fan of the worksheets, however, I do them becuase parents dont seem to think that NOT doing them is teaching them anythinf.. the kids really don't like them no matter how fun I try to make them. But they are paying me and I feel that part of me needs to keep them happy buy this one silly little request..

children learn through play.period..............wish they could let that be..........
DCMom 10:11 AM 02-23-2011
It varies for me. The day the youngest sibling starts Kindy is the last day for the family as a whole. It works out well for me because 4 of my available spots are for school-aged.

I often take kids who have aged out during the summer when I have room, though I NEVER take school aged kids who were not here as infants/toddler/preschoolers. What I like the most is that my helpers in the summer are always kids who used to be here for daycare ~ talk about already being 'trained in'
lil angels 10:16 AM 02-23-2011
they normally go around kindy to.
Missani 11:45 AM 02-23-2011
All of my dcks live outside of my school district, so right now I will probably lose them all in Kindergarten. Of the parents I have spoken to, none of them plan to take their child to "real" preschool. I do it all here and hold conferences to mark progress, so maybe that helps.

Family #1: 4 yr. old and 1 yr. old. Still 1.5 yrs. before kindergarten for the 4 year old, but I imagine both kids will leave when the oldest goes to school so that they can go someplace together in their home school district.

Family #2: 2 year old and infant. They are already looking into open enrolling their 2 yo into my school district so that they can stay here. This is what they are planning to do, but they still have 2.5 years to figure it out for sure. I hope they stay with me.

Family #3: infant. They don't know what to do and have weighed the options of homeschooling, public, and private schools. If they chose the private school, she will likely stay with me b/a school. I have also mentioned potentially willing to homeschool their child for Kindergarten. If they go to the public school they will probably leave. They will likely have another child soon and I don't know if just the older will leave or if they will both leave. Luckily this is 4.5 years away...they plan ahead!

Family #4: infant. They are PT and will likely leave before kindergarten. If I had to guess, I'd say they will have another child (or more) and mom will quit her job and stay home. I do live outside the public school district, but I live near a private school that they may choose.
Reply Up