Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
View Poll Results: Do you allow the children contact with your dogs?
Yes all day 20 38.46%
No none at all 12 23.08%
Sometimes 20 38.46%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Dogs in Daycare
PitterPatter 05:33 PM 06-09-2012
I know there have been other threads about dogs but I thought maybe I could gather more info quicker with a poll. If there is one already I apologize.

I just wondered how many providers allow children contact with dogs.
Breezy 05:44 PM 06-09-2012
None, I just dont want to take the risk. My dogs are big, think they are puppies and occasionally dont know their own strength.
pootmcgoot 06:36 PM 06-09-2012
None. He's crated all day until my husband is home. It was this way before daycare too. He's not my responsibility so he's crated.
youretooloud 06:42 PM 06-09-2012
They are separated by gates, but they can hug and pet all day if they want. The dogs spend a lot of time snuggling over the gates.
MyAngels 08:02 PM 06-09-2012
I answered "all day" even though my dogs both died in 2011 . When they were alive they were allowed throughout the house. They were both gentle and loving and grew up around the daycare kids. We never had any problems at all.
GretasLittleFriends 08:21 PM 06-09-2012
I chose all day. We have one schnauzer that is always home, and one that travels with my DH. They are allowed to be around the kids, with the exception of meal times (Food Program requirement) or if the dog/s choose to hide.
Kaddidle Care 06:47 AM 06-10-2012
My Golden was always present when I watched children in my home. He would eagerly greet anyone that came to the door and then mosey off to do his own thing. He loved hanging out under the kitchen table.

I never had a child treat him badly so it was never an issue. He was already 8 when the children came to my home so well over the puppy rambunctiosness.

It was so long ago - not sure if I should participate in your poll.

I will say that if you have a dog, to never leave the children and dog unattended. We had a neighbor that left her beagle in the basement with a few kids. One who didn't have animals decided it would be a great idea to ride the dog and bounced on his back. He damaged the dog so badly they had to have him put to sleep. While the neighbor blames the child, I sort of blame her for leaving them unsupervised. The child was somewhere in the 4/5 age group.
Blackcat31 06:55 AM 06-10-2012
I answered none although I live in a separate home than the one I do daycare in but I answered that way because if I did do daycare in my home I would allow NO CONTACT between my pets and my daycare kids.

I know how mean some kids can be and I would choose not to subject my pets to that.

As another poster said, I would also not want the liability of what could happen either.
Kiki 06:56 AM 06-10-2012
I have a dog that is allowed free roam of my home until I am preparing for meals. Then she is put out back. My dog is extremely lovable though, and gets very excited to see each of the kids when they come over. (No jumping, just tail wagging and in your face, 'I see you! Please see me and love me!' kind of attitude.)
Kiki 07:12 AM 06-10-2012
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
I will say that if you have a dog, to never leave the children and dog unattended. We had a neighbor that left her beagle in the basement with a few kids. One who didn't have animals decided it would be a great idea to ride the dog and bounced on his back. He damaged the dog so badly they had to have him put to sleep. While the neighbor blames the child, I sort of blame her for leaving them unsupervised. The child was somewhere in the 4/5 age group.
I would have been heartbroken, and furious with myself for leaving them alone with my dog.
I answered with my dog having free roam of my home, however, I should probably clarify. I do day care in 3 areas of my home that are all open view to me no matter what room I'm in. So while she is allowed free roam of my home, she is never left alone with the children. Also, she is extremely loyal to me, and is pretty much wherever I am. Even if I'm in the bathroom, she follows me up the steps, and plops down in front of the door until I'm done.
Blackcat31 07:22 AM 06-10-2012
Originally Posted by Kiki:
I have a dog that is allowed free roam of my home until I am preparing for meals. Then she is put out back. My dog is extremely lovable though, and gets very excited to see each of the kids when they come over. (No jumping, just tail wagging and in your face, 'I see you! Please see me and love me!' kind of attitude.)
My dog would totally be just like that!! He LOVES LOVES people but they don't always love him....

He is 2 years old and weighs 225lbs so I doubt many parents would like a dog that big being in their kids' face all day! He looks down at most kids and can knock them over simply by wagging his tail.
PitterPatter 07:38 AM 06-10-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My dog would totally be just like that!! He LOVES LOVES people but they don't always love him....

He is 2 years old and weighs 225lbs so I doubt many parents would like a dog that big being in their kids' face all day! He looks down at most kids and can knock them over simply by wagging his tail.
Aw u have Beethoven!!

I have had a puppy since she was 6 weeks, 4 months old now. Come a long way very smart and learned some basics quick just stubborn and not always obedient so I don't allow any access to pre schoolers but I will sometimes let her out with the 8 yr old and my son, 10, at the end of the day depending on if she is calm or excited and ALWAYS supervise. She has 1 room I keep her in from 8-4, she can see everyone but it's gated. When we leave or sleep she is crated and now doesn't mind her crate at all even find her in it on her own just like they said she would.
Kiki 07:47 AM 06-10-2012

That dog is beautiful! I am big fan of bigger dogs, the smaller ones seem more like toys than dogs to me. (No offense to small dog owners!)

This is ours, and pretty much how she is all day:

Until she goes outside!

Yes, she's an Akita, no, despite all common misconceptions she is nowhere near aggressive. Out of all of the dogs I have owned in my life, she is by far the most loyal we have ever had, and just loves all of the kids that are in my home.
spud912 08:46 AM 06-10-2012

I LOVE LOVE LOVE your dog! I always wanted a St. Bernard! Does he shed as much as "they" say? My husband thinks they're ok, but prefers German shepherds.

I don't have any pets (with the exception of random bugs we take in from Insectlore and "raise" every spring), but eventually will get a dog as I feel like I'm doing a disservice to my children somehow by not having any. I think our next pet will be a golden retriever (it is our compromise between a St. Bernard and a German shepherd).
Kaddidle Care 10:15 AM 06-10-2012
Some dogs and kids just plain go together.

My son was sick and couldn't sleep. My dog got him to settle down. This pic is about 19 years old.
Attached: brotherly comfort2.JPG (23.3 KB) 
Ariana 12:26 PM 06-10-2012
I'm not sure if my 7lb poodle counts as a dog But yes he is around the kids all day and they love him dearly!! He is very good with kids and is so excited to see them everyday. I do have a small travel bag he can 'escape' to if the kids maul him too much and he sometimes goes upstairs in his crate when he wants to.
Heidi 02:45 PM 06-10-2012
Originally Posted by spud912:
I LOVE LOVE LOVE your dog! I always wanted a St. Bernard! Does he shed as much as "they" say? My husband thinks they're ok, but prefers German shepherds.

I don't have any pets (with the exception of random bugs we take in from Insectlore and "raise" every spring), but eventually will get a dog as I feel like I'm doing a disservice to my children somehow by not having any. I think our next pet will be a golden retriever (it is our compromise between a St. Bernard and a German shepherd).
We (ex husband and I) used to have a St. Bernard, and I would say it shed less than my sister's German Shepard. The drooling, however, is another thing. Every time they shake their head, the spit goes flyin', man!

I grew up with German Shepards, and I'd probably have one, but DH says no big dogs. It was no dogs period, but he reluctantly agreed to a Shih Tzu 4 years ago, and now he loves the little guy. He does have access to the kids, but if they get too riled up, I seperate him, and I keep a very close eye on him.
Blackcat31 03:01 PM 06-10-2012
Originally Posted by Heidi:
We (ex husband and I) used to have a St. Bernard, and I would say it shed less than my sister's German Shepard. The drooling, however, is another thing. Every time they shake their head, the spit goes flyin', man!
what she said.

I don't notice him shedding at all but yes, he drools just like the Beethoven movies show...LOTS!! Not so much in the winter but non-stop in the summer time.

Oh and another member pointed out that there is a rifle leaning up against the wall in my photo...so I want to reiterate I do NOT do child care in my home so there are no pets or guns where I work.
saved4always 03:03 PM 06-10-2012
When I did care in my home, I did allow very limited contact with my dogs so I answered "sometimes". I mostly kept the dogs seperate, not because the kids needed to be protected from my dogs, but because my dogs needed to be protected from the kids. My dogs are very gentle and put up with anything, but I felt bad when the kids would sit on the dogs, lay on the dogs, pull thier tails, etc. I also did not like when the kids would wipe thier boogers on the dogs (kind of like they did on the furniture ). I watched all toddlers at the end and they were the most rough with my poor, old dogs and the group most likely to get ickies in their fur (not so nice when we would go to pet them later).
saved4always 03:04 PM 06-10-2012

My son was sick and couldn't sleep. My dog got him to settle down. This pic is about 19 years old.
This is what my daughter would do with our German Shepherd/retriever mix. I have many pictures of her relaxing on her poochie.
saved4always 03:08 PM 06-10-2012
My Golden was always present when I watched children in my home. He would eagerly greet anyone that came to the door and then mosey off to do his own thing. He loved hanging out under the kitchen table.

I never had a child treat him badly so it was never an issue. He was already 8 when the children came to my home so well over the puppy rambunctiosness.

It was so long ago - not sure if I should participate in your poll.

That is so sad. We have a beagle and I never let the kids be alone with him, partly for just this reason (and because you just never know with a dog). He is a sweetie but his back could not take that kind of weight. Our german shepherd/retreiver is much stronger and can take a little more but I even limited it with him.
Blackcat31 03:18 PM 06-10-2012

That is one of the most adorable pictures I have ever seen!
spud912 03:24 PM 06-10-2012
what she said.

I don't notice him shedding at all but yes, he drools just like the Beethoven movies show...LOTS!! Not so much in the winter but non-stop in the summer time.

Oh and another member pointed out that there is a rifle leaning up against the wall in my photo...so I want to reiterate I do NOT do child care in my home so there are no pets or guns where I work.
Haha I didn't even notice the rifle...my eyes were zeroed in on your cute "puppy" and cat. I love big dogs!

We used to have a German shepherd/Belgium malinois mix about 6 years ago for a period of 8 months or so, but had to give him away. My husband and I both worked ~12 hours a day away from our house and our poor dog was crated the entire time. We couldn't keep him outside because every time he barked (I mean just one bark in a 24 hour period), our neighbor would call the police. He was terrible about chewing on things and potty training, so we couldn't let him roam the house either. After a few months of very bad boredom problems related to him being crated, we decided it would be best for him to be in a better home. He ended up becoming a bomb sniffing dog, so I'm glad that he was much better off. He weighed in at 115 pounds at 13 months old, so he was definitely a big boy.

Oh, and yes, he did shed like crazy! I thought with his short hair, it wouldn't be as bad, but it was terrible!!! It's been 6 years and I still find some of his hair on things!
AnneCordelia 03:37 PM 06-10-2012
When I have questions about dogs I always think "what would Cesar Milan do?" and act accordingly. Pets are allowed limited and supervised access to daycare children here. And only with the children who know the rules of being around our pets.
itlw8 04:51 PM 06-10-2012
yES but most of the time she is out doors. Or in the winter I stick her upstairs. She is in the yard with us but mostly ignores the kids. I do not allow children to throw her ball as she gets too excited.
texascare 07:23 AM 06-11-2012
I have 4 dogs. 2 large and 2 small. They all are very friendly and love kids but for my own protection I keep them gated off from the kids. Every morning they lock through the gate but thats about it. The only time is when we go outside the smallest dog who is about 15 pounds goes outside with us. The others go in their own fenced in area in the back yard. I have them separate from the daycare ares.
JaydensMommy 08:09 AM 06-11-2012
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I'm not sure if my 7lb poodle counts as a dog But yes he is around the kids all day and they love him dearly!! He is very good with kids and is so excited to see them everyday. I do have a small travel bag he can 'escape' to if the kids maul him too much and he sometimes goes upstairs in his crate when he wants to.
I love poodles, I grew up with one who is now 13 years old and she has been the sweetest dog. She is so good with kids. Somehow I ended up with a shih tzu not a breed I had ever considered, but he is a great dog. I got him from my sister in law because she didn't have the time for him. He is around all of the children and he is great with them. He has the laundry room to go to when he wants to get away.
Childminder 08:22 AM 06-11-2012
Our dog died of a neuropothy at age seven but was the best dog with children if she was being bothered she would just look at me with sad eyes and move. She was not very good with strangers though and was very protective of me and the children, getting between us and anyone she didn't know or wasn't scheduled to be there. More than once she got between a parent and child at pickup if they weren't the regularly scheduled person. I would have to settle her with a command to let the adult touch the child even if the parent had dropped off. One time she didn't let a dad pick up a child because he had a suit on and usually they were the best of friends and she always got lots of attention from him.

I never was comfortable with her or any dog around children though on the odd chance that something unfortunate might happen. You never know. As a child I was bit by two different dogs at two different friends homes that I had visited often and been friendly with the dogs for years.

Now I'm all sad cause I sure do miss our Abby and will not get another dog because no other dog could be as good. I can't take a chance of getting a dog that might be a problem with the children, my livelihood.
jojosmommy 11:30 AM 06-11-2012
I chose sometimes. My dog is present at dc most of the day. He is pretty lazy, sleeps on the couch or in his dog bed in the living room most of the day. The kids know they may not initiate contact with the dog. I choose who and how people interact with my dog. I would say that 1 day a month someone asks to pet the dog. They pretty much forget he is even here. I have never had a kid try to pet the dog without asking after they know the rule (day 2 usually).

He is crated when we leave for walks and I usually forget him in his kennel until the kids are napping. That way he gets a break and isnt around during lunch time.
daycare 12:07 PM 06-11-2012
I dont have a dog. Mostly becAUSE my insurance WILL not cover dog bites with the kids.

I also do not allow the kids to pet strangers dogs either....
Lianne 01:47 PM 06-11-2012
I have a dog and four cats of my own and I do foster care for the SPCA (currently have a set of four 6week old kittens). The animals have full access to my home. I run a HOME daycare. To me, that means all elements of my home are included and I refuse to crate or segregate my animals all day because of the career I've chosen. I've had one instance of a child being rough with my animals and he was terminated that day. Otherwise, the children learn young to never pick the animals up and to leave them alone when they are in their beds. The animals have learned to leave the room if they've had enough attention.
Unregistered 02:52 PM 06-11-2012
No. My dog is separated from my daycare. I have an American Eskimo. She is good with her family but I don't want to take the chance of her not being good with one of the kiddo's. She blows out her coat 2-3 times a year and our home looks like snow clouds on the inside. Have to vac 2-3 times a day when this happens. She is older and kids sometimes can be ruff with animals- but that is beside the point, Too much of a liability and I don't want to take that chance.
magsgma 04:38 PM 06-11-2012
I answered yes all day but there are restrictions. First the children are always supervised. The children are given the "rules" use kind hands, don't touch his toys,(he does not touch theirs and they need to respect his) and never bother him when he is eating - although he never was possesive of his food - I do not want to risk it. He stays in his kennel when they are eating and he goes in the yard with them too. He does not to his "business" in the back yard - I have a very OCD dog LOL! He has one area that is his "Potty" and it is way away from the Play Space.
Having a pet in child care helps them to learn an important Science concept.
Meeko 05:15 PM 06-11-2012

Blackcat....yet another thing we have in common! I have had two Saints over the years and then a Newfoundland. Love me some slobber!!!
Meeko 05:31 PM 06-11-2012
My four legged friends.........but none at the day care.
Attached: Bru.jpg (38.0 KB) Gus.jpg (88.3 KB) Love.jpg (51.0 KB) snow dog.jpg (136.5 KB) 
STARSHINE852 07:41 PM 06-11-2012
I have 2 big dogs.I allow my 7 year old Siberian near the children @ times..Not outside when its hot..I have a 5 year old Choc Lab shes not allowed near the children because shes all muscle and will knock the children down.
Lilbutterflie 08:30 PM 06-11-2012
I have an Anatolian Shepherd. He is the best and most well behaved dog I have ever known. He is 100 lbs but he is a gentle giant. He watches over the children- I kid you not - particularly the babies. I have many stories to tell of him watching over them. We jokingly call him "Nana" from Peter Pan!!

Dogs are used as therapy for children by many many therapists. A well behaved, well natured dog can be a very good thing for children to be around!! Yes, supervision is a MUST. I once had a daycare boy who suddenly started kicking my dog and I had to give them notice for it.

All of my parents and kiddos LOVE my dog and are thankful he is around. He also guards us and protects us from any unwanted visitors!

Attached are pics of him. The photo with him with a towel has a story- a tropical storm came through a year back and I allowed the kids to go out and play in the rain. He HATES to be wet, but he had to be with them and watch them, so he went out in the rain with them! After I dried him off and put a towel around him, I took the pic with him looking proud as ever to have watched over his kiddos!! So cute!
Attached: IMG_1263.jpg (135.4 KB) IMG_3603.jpg (89.6 KB) IMG_1502.jpg (61.5 KB) 
Tags:dogs, pets in daycare
Reply Up