Daycare.com Forum Daycare Management Software

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:48 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default Snack And Meal Time Space For Small House

I had a table and chairs and sold them when I needed the space for the play area. My husband and I eat on the couch 90% of the time anyways. DD eats in her high chair, away from the TV.

We have a very small breakfast nook in the kitchen and I can't decide whether or not to get another table and chairs with boosters or just high chairs.

Older children have a table with chairs to sit at in the play room to eat (seats 2) however i feel this is inadequate. I want to get this settled before kids start on the 9th.

What would you recommend?
Old 07-03-2012, 07:14 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I suggest a nice table and chairs that are kids sized. 20" table or so, 12" high chairs. This would be comfortable enough for you to sit with the kids, and if you have an infant, you can use a clip-on chair (I picked up some older Graco Tot-locs on Ebay. The newer soft sided ones were crappola)

If it's in your budget, I'd go with Community Playthings. Their stuff is well built and beautiful to look at.

http://www.communityplaythings.com/p...les/index.html

They are pricey, but in my mind, well worth it. I hate having that overly "daycare" looking stuff in my shared area. a 30x44 table would seat 6 comfortably.

Another option would be to comb some garage sales (surely some this weekend), and find a decent used dinner table-all wood, rectangle, about that size, and cut the legs off. Then you could order wooden, small chairs from Amazon. That would look nice, and probably be a lot cheaper.

Here's some:

http://www.amazon.com/KidKraft-Aspen...7s+chairs+wood

I would avoid children's tables made for home use, though, because they tend to be too lightweight. They end up getting scootched around easily, aren't big enough, and would not support a clip-on chair.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:07 AM

I use 4' folding tables from Sams Club. They fold up for storage and also have adjustable legs. Lowest is perfect for kids. Middle is regular table height and the tall setting is counter height. I have used them for yard sales, church functions etc as well as just for the kids. being able to store 6 of them in a closet is a dream! They are very sturdy and clean easily.

Similar to this pic...the Sams Club site wont let me copy the actual one from their site..
Old 07-03-2012, 09:08 AM

OOpps! forgot the pic.....

Price around $36 to $40 depending on location.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg table.jpg (2.2 KB, 22 views)
Old 07-03-2012, 10:23 AM
Daycare.com Member

What worked in my small house: 2 $20 mount-on-the-wall, flip-up-or-down tables from IKEA, mounted at kid height, with child-sized chairs. When I want more space, I can fold them flat down against the wall.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:29 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lise View Post
What worked in my small house: 2 $20 mount-on-the-wall, flip-up-or-down tables from IKEA, mounted at kid height, with child-sized chairs. When I want more space, I can fold them flat down against the wall.
this is exactly what i was going to suggest
Old 07-07-2012, 05:45 AM

My daycare table seats 8 (10 if necessary but it's a tight squeeze). I bought a fold in half folding table and had a neighbor cut down the legs to child-height. At the end of the day I stack up the chairs and fold down the table (when it's folded in half it's about the size of a piece of tagboard). I have a little closet nook that I put it all in so I don't have to have it out in our shared space during family time.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:44 AM

The kids here eat at my kitchen table. It's an older formica table (sturdy!) that has a leaf I can put in it. It seats 4 comfortably without the leaf and can seat 6 with the leaf. I also have booster seats w/tray on kitchen chairs if I need them. I'm only allowed five kids in care at any time so this is usually more than sufficient. If we have friends over and don't fit at the table then the kids have a picnic on the living room floor.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:41 AM

I totally agree with the flip up and down tables. I use one in my laundry room for ironing and folding, in my daycare area for arts and my DH made one in the lunch area just for infants where he inserted infant seats right into the table top and they sit right in as they would a high chair, granted this needed more support and is a little bit larger but a lot more organized, takes way less space and I just love it
Old 07-07-2012, 12:17 PM
Daycare.com Member

I don't know how many kids you want to seat but I love this infant table I bought with 2 chairs. http://www.lordequip.com/

I don't use boosters or high chairs, I use the Montessori style infant table and chairs. I love it! But pricey.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:24 PM
Admin & Owner-Daycare.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by pootmcgoot View Post
I had a table and chairs and sold them when I needed the space for the play area. My husband and I eat on the couch 90% of the time anyways. DD eats in her high chair, away from the TV.

We have a very small breakfast nook in the kitchen and I can't decide whether or not to get another table and chairs with boosters or just high chairs.

Older children have a table with chairs to sit at in the play room to eat (seats 2) however i feel this is inadequate. I want to get this settled before kids start on the 9th.

What would you recommend?
Have you considered a wall table. They are great when you need them and fold down when you need space:

Look up "wall table" under Google images. There are tons of diffrent styles for needs.

Tags
small room, table - wall