Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Goodbye Gift
Heidi 06:28 AM 02-12-2013
Does anyone have an idea for a really cool goodbye gift for a dcb? He was my first one here when I went back into daycare 2 years ago. He is moving to California soon, and I want to give him something special.

I'm not really a scrapbooker, but I do have quite a few pictures of him. What is a cute way to put something like that together? That'd be a good gift, right?
lovemykidstoo 06:30 AM 02-12-2013
That woudl be a great gift! If you're not a scrapbooker, but still want to do something like that, they sell those scrapbook kits that have everything you need to make 1 project. Or just simply put the pics in a photo album where you can write next to the pic and write little descriptions about what he was doing in the pic.
Country Kids 06:43 AM 02-12-2013
Can't you take them to Wal-Mart or something and they will put them into a book/scrapbook for you?

My husband received a "photo book" from one of his soccer teams and I still think that was one of the best gifts!
CedarCreek 06:47 AM 02-12-2013
Shutterfly often has deals for free photo books! I would check that out!
mamac 06:56 AM 02-12-2013
How about getting a group picture of all your kiddos and printing it onto a tee-shirt for him? You could add your daycare name and the year.

I did this for my son's old DC provider for another child that she had that was leaving. (before she turned all crazy on me.)

I got a plain tee at Michael's and the iron-on transfer paper at Staples. It was really easy to do. Just make sure to heat the transfer long enough and at a high enough temp or it will bubble and not stick.
melilley 06:59 AM 02-12-2013
Originally Posted by mamac:
How about getting a group picture of all your kiddos and printing it onto a tee-shirt for him? You could add your daycare name and the year.

I did this for my son's old DC provider for another child that she had that was leaving. (before she turned all crazy on me.)

I got a plain tee at Michael's and the iron-on transfer paper at Staples. It was really easy to do. Just make sure to heat the transfer long enough and at a high enough temp or it will bubble and not stick.
My daughter has a shirt like that from kindergarten-she still has it and she's 10!
melilley 06:59 AM 02-12-2013
Scrapbook, shirt, or you could put the pics on a dvd and add music and titles.
Heidi 07:12 AM 02-12-2013
Originally Posted by CedarCreek:
Shutterfly often has deals for free photo books! I would check that out!
Thanks! I've seen the commercials, but never paid attention. I am dowloading pictures right now.
KDC 07:14 AM 02-12-2013
I'm looking too.. I've started doing DVD's with a slideshow & video's every Christmas for my families. It's about 20 mins long, lol! I'm looking for new ideas since I have a family leaving who's been with me for 5+ years for 2 kids. I'm SO sad they're leaving.

My ideas, definitely a shutterfly book. I've made them before, and if you've never done it before, you can most definitely find a free 8x8 book at least, and they always have specials. Just a warning, they're time consuming & somewhat addictive =)

I was thinking maybe having Walgreens/CVS do a collage print (they're like 5-10 bucks) with all the favorite pictures, and put it in a frame?

They made me a book one year for Christmas, where the kids did said what they liked best about coming here, and picked a scene to illustrate it, and they were able to color it in on the computer, DCM said they worked on it every afternoon for 2 weeks straight. It's one of my most favorite treasured gifts. Maybe if you found something like this, where the kids could dictate what to say? Also, seems time consuming... but, meant more to me since so much thought and energy went into it.

I'll be stalking your post for ideas
melilley 07:18 AM 02-12-2013
Originally Posted by KDC:
I'm looking too.. I've started doing DVD's with a slideshow & video's every Christmas for my families. It's about 20 mins long, lol! I'm looking for new ideas since I have a family leaving who's been with me for 5+ years for 2 kids. I'm SO sad they're leaving.

My ideas, definitely a shutterfly book. I've made them before, and if you've never done it before, you can most definitely find a free 8x8 book at least, and they always have specials. Just a warning, they're time consuming & somewhat addictive =)

I was thinking maybe having Walgreens/CVS do a collage print (they're like 5-10 bucks) with all the favorite pictures, and put it in a frame?

They made me a book one year for Christmas, where the kids did said what they liked best about coming here, and picked a scene to illustrate it, and they were able to color it in on the computer, DCM said they worked on it every afternoon for 2 weeks straight. It's one of my most favorite treasured gifts. Maybe if you found something like this, where the kids could dictate what to say? Also, seems time consuming... but, meant more to me since so much thought and energy went into it.

I'll be stalking your post for ideas
Haha I keep coming back to see the ideas too
Loveyoustinkyface 07:21 AM 02-12-2013
I have had one kiddo move out of state and I made her a photo book. It turned out just lovely! (I actually ordered a copy for myself!) DCM cried when I gave it to her. DCG called just the other day asking a question about an event we went to there was pictured in her book. She still has it and still looks at it.

It did take some time, and of course, I made all the background colors and scenes match the pictures, which took extra time. The hardest part was organizing them by date so when she read the book it went from when she was younger to older.

Good luck!
MamaBearCanada 07:24 AM 02-12-2013
I love photo gifts you can do mugs, blankets, water bottles. Arts cow is another good site.

Other ideas:
a canvas from Michaels put his handprint in middle & everyone else's around it in circle/border

A recordable book - record yourself reading him a story

A cd of his favourite kid songs
NeedaVaca 07:58 AM 02-12-2013
I was going to say a recordable book too but someone beat me to it These are all great ideas!
Little Star75 08:25 AM 02-12-2013
I totally agree with a photo album but all these are great ideas. I have a daycare album with monthly sections. I started to put it together last year 3 months after I opened. I take lots of pictures of the children including on field trip days. I'm very creative so every month I have different design, headings, etc. for example, for October I have Halloween, December I have Christmas decor and so on... It turned out very nice. So I will definitely do something like an album they are great memories
mamac 09:22 AM 02-12-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
Haha I keep coming back to see the ideas too
Ditto!
mamac 09:29 AM 02-12-2013
Originally Posted by MamaBearCanada:

Other ideas:
a canvas from Michaels put his handprint in middle & everyone else's around it in circle/border

This is a great idea! I look at my kids' baby handprints everyday and it amazes me how fast they grow.
wdmmom 09:52 AM 02-12-2013
When a child leaves me, I make a collage.

Go to walmart.com and click photo.

You can upload photos of that child while at daycare and turn it into a collage. An 8*10 photo is only $3!! It's a small token that they'll get to keep forever.
Starburst 10:06 AM 02-12-2013
You can call it a "year book" and have all the activities they did for holidays just get regular blank computer pictures and one of those "book report" binding pinchers
bunnyslippers 02:03 PM 02-12-2013
I love Shutterfly. You can also make calendars. For my own two boys on shutterfly this Christmas, I made them ABC books. Each page was a photo of them that corresponded with the alphabet. A is for Apple Picking, B is for Beach, C is for Cousins...you get the drift. Shutterfly even has a template for an ABS book. The boys love them!!!!

I have also made blankets as good-bye gifts. Just a no-sew, tie together fleece, but the parents and kids always love them!

As a good-bye gift from my dcks/to my dcks every year, I get a bunch of beach balls. Each child signs the other children's balls with permanent marker. If they can't write their name, I write it and let them do a scribble. So cute!!!! Always a hit with the parents and the kids love them.
NeedaVaca 05:35 AM 02-13-2013
http://www.cuckooforcoupondeals.com/...-my-publisher/

In case you decide to go with a photo book, here's a free one!
makap 05:40 AM 02-13-2013
I am loving all of these great ideas!!!
Heidi 01:22 PM 02-13-2013
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
http://www.cuckooforcoupondeals.com/...-my-publisher/

In case you decide to go with a photo book, here's a free one!
Thanks! I followed your link and am trying it out. I like it better than Shutterfly so far. I'll let you know what it ends up costing me (not sure if the coupon will work).
Tags:goodbye - gift ideas
Reply Up