Daycare.com Forum Daycare Management Software

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-20-2013, 01:40 PM
Lucy's Avatar
Lucy Lucy is offline
Hurt Betrayed Confused
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NW
Posts: 1,648
Default What Is Required To Give Parents For Taxes?

Ok, first off, this is NOT about not wanting to give parents a total amount. I can figure it up and give it to her this afternoon. This is about an H&R Block guy telling one of my DC parents what HE thinks I have to give. I think he's wrong, but want to find somewhere online that definitively says what's required.

So... I always give a W-10. I've done that for years. Parents know that their checks are their receipts. This particular family was with me for part of 2011 and it wasn't a problem. They did their own taxes for that year. So cut to Jan. 2013 when I gave them a W-10 for 2012. Then they go to (*cough*stupid*cough) H&R Block and the guy has them call me from his office to ask for an official receipt. I thought maybe she lost it, so I said, I gave it to one of you in January. It's a W-10." She says they have that but the guy says they need a letter stating dates, kids names, my name, address, phone number, state reg #, ss # or tax id #, and total amount. I said I would get her total for her, but the guy is wrong. I don't actually have to give her ANYTHING, but I do a W-10 as a courtesy. If SHE gives ME a W-10 then I'm required to fill it out, so I just do them first.

I'm rambling .... sorry. Basically I want to print something showing that I do not need to provide anything. If the tax guy is telling people they need this detailed letter, then I want to set him straight. Do any of you know a website that would have those requirements listed?

Again, this has nothing to do with not wanting or being willing to provide her with a total amt. What I'm doing is printing up a new W-10 and writing the amt on the top.

Thanks, gals!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-20-2013, 01:55 PM
itlw8's Avatar
itlw8 itlw8 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 2,199
Default

If they ask and supply the form you must fill out the w-10 that has your name address and EIN or SS# that is all you HAVE to do.
__________________
It will wait
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-20-2013, 01:56 PM
Lucy's Avatar
Lucy Lucy is offline
Hurt Betrayed Confused
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NW
Posts: 1,648
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by itlw8 View Post
If they ask and supply the form you must fill out the w-10 that has your name address and EIN or SS# that is all you HAVE to do.
Right. I'm wanting something official to print out and have the mom give her uninformed tax guy.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-20-2013, 01:56 PM
itlw8's Avatar
itlw8 itlw8 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 2,199
Default

I am sure if you put this on the tax forum Tom would give you the correct IRS code pretty sure he answered this recently also
__________________
It will wait
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-20-2013, 02:16 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,726
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
Ok, first off, this is NOT about not wanting to give parents a total amount. I can figure it up and give it to her this afternoon. This is about an H&R Block guy telling one of my DC parents what HE thinks I have to give. I think he's wrong, but want to find somewhere online that definitively says what's required.

So... I always give a W-10. I've done that for years. Parents know that their checks are their receipts. This particular family was with me for part of 2011 and it wasn't a problem. They did their own taxes for that year. So cut to Jan. 2013 when I gave them a W-10 for 2012. Then they go to (*cough*stupid*cough) H&R Block and the guy has them call me from his office to ask for an official receipt. I thought maybe she lost it, so I said, I gave it to one of you in January. It's a W-10." She says they have that but the guy says they need a letter stating dates, kids names, my name, address, phone number, state reg #, ss # or tax id #, and total amount. I said I would get her total for her, but the guy is wrong. I don't actually have to give her ANYTHING, but I do a W-10 as a courtesy. If SHE gives ME a W-10 then I'm required to fill it out, so I just do them first.

I'm rambling .... sorry. Basically I want to print something showing that I do not need to provide anything. If the tax guy is telling people they need this detailed letter, then I want to set him straight. Do any of you know a website that would have those requirements listed?

Again, this has nothing to do with not wanting or being willing to provide her with a total amt. What I'm doing is printing up a new W-10 and writing the amt on the top.

Thanks, gals!
Tell him (the tax guy) to show you where it says that.

Like court, the person who is making the claim should bear the burden of proof.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-20-2013, 02:31 PM
Little Star75's Avatar
Little Star75 Little Star75 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Somewhere in California
Posts: 367
Default

If you are part of the food program and have MM you go into invoicing run reports and you will find either a blank W-10 or one with your info. But you must enter all your info into this software. Very simple
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-20-2013, 02:42 PM
Lucy's Avatar
Lucy Lucy is offline
Hurt Betrayed Confused
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NW
Posts: 1,648
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Star75 View Post
If you are part of the food program and have MM you go into invoicing run reports and you will find either a blank W-10 or one with your info. But you must enter all your info into this software. Very simple
Thanks. I'm not on the food program. I printed and gave out W-10 's in January. I'm actually not asking advice on how to do this. I need a website or IRS instructions that I can print for a tax preparer to prove he is giving out incorrect information.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-20-2013, 03:22 PM
Lucy's Avatar
Lucy Lucy is offline
Hurt Betrayed Confused
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NW
Posts: 1,648
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by itlw8 View Post
I am sure if you put this on the tax forum Tom would give you the correct IRS code pretty sure he answered this recently also
Thanks. I didn't realize there was a forum for tax questions!! My bookmarks goes directly to this forum and I forget that there's lots more to this site!!

However, I didn't get a response. I scanned the recent discussions and couldn't see where Tom had recently discussed this.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-20-2013, 03:24 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,726
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
Thanks. I didn't realize there was a forum for tax questions!! My bookmarks goes directly to this forum and I forget that there's lots more to this site!!

However, I didn't get a response. I scanned the recent discussions and couldn't see where Tom had recently discussed this.
I know you wanted something "official" but here is Tom's blog entry about W-10 forms. Maybe that will help.

http://www.tomcopelandblog.com/2011/...-receipts.html
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-20-2013, 03:26 PM
Lucy's Avatar
Lucy Lucy is offline
Hurt Betrayed Confused
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NW
Posts: 1,648
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
I know you wanted something "official" but here is Tom's blog entry about W-10 forms. Maybe that will help.

http://www.tomcopelandblog.com/2011/...-receipts.html
Thanks. I'll check it out now.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-20-2013, 03:28 PM
Lucy's Avatar
Lucy Lucy is offline
Hurt Betrayed Confused
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NW
Posts: 1,648
Default

Ok I keep getting moderated. Anyway... thanks Blackcat.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-20-2013, 03:33 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,726
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
Ok I keep getting moderated. Anyway... thanks Blackcat.
Your post was moderated because you quoted me and I have a link within my post. For some reason, links for and by Tom are moderated when others try to quote or post them.

It is NOTHING on your end. so no worries there

I see Tom has responded in the tax thread for you
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-20-2013, 03:38 PM
Lucy's Avatar
Lucy Lucy is offline
Hurt Betrayed Confused
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NW
Posts: 1,648
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Your post was moderated because you quoted me and I have a link within my post. For some reason, links for and by Tom are moderated when others try to quote or post them.

It is NOTHING on your end. so no worries there

I see Tom has responded in the tax thread for you
He did but I still don't have anything to print and show this tax guy. Thanks for everyone's help though.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-20-2013, 06:35 PM
DCBlessings27's Avatar
DCBlessings27 DCBlessings27 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Kansas
Posts: 332
Default

Here, this should work to show the tax guy. http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw10.pdf
The instructions for the form don't say anything about needing some of the additional information he's wanting.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-20-2013, 06:42 PM
Lucy's Avatar
Lucy Lucy is offline
Hurt Betrayed Confused
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NW
Posts: 1,648
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCBlessings27 View Post
Here, this should work to show the tax guy. http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw10.pdf
The instructions for the form don't say anything about needing some of the additional information he's wanting.
Thanks. I've had that for years though. I printed and distributed them in January, as I have every year.

I posted in the tax forum and will copy and print some of Tom Copeland's response, as well as some things from the following website:
http://www.familychildcaretaxes.com/...cordNumber=102
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tax Statements - How Many Of You Give One To The Parents? jenny31052 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 28 04-03-2013 09:15 AM
Would You Term A Good Child Due To Bad Parents? PolkaTots Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 18 01-08-2013 01:22 PM
Annoying Parents In Your Daycare??? Mychildreportcard Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 8 06-06-2012 10:10 AM
My Contract...What Do You Think? JeepGirl6 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 14 01-21-2011 06:17 PM
WOW. Not One Card. Nothing sahm2three Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 34 12-28-2010 04:07 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:00 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming