Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>To Terminate or Not
Unregistered 11:52 AM 10-06-2014
I have a daycare family that is filling a spot. I have another family that desperately want the spot. Current family is fine,they haven't done anything wrong per say,we just don't click and they are helicopter parents. The other family seems really laid back and we clicked right away. Would you let the current family go and start with the new family? If you do let them go,how would you go about out? Thanks you so much I have been struggling with this decision for quite some time now
EchoMom 12:21 PM 10-06-2014
I'm not sure you've given enough info to give much advice. But just from what you've said, I would not term just because I thought the new family MIGHT be a better fit and SEEMS more laid back. It could turn out that the new family is not as laid back as you thought, or end up leaving soon, or any multitude of reasons.

Has the current family been with you awhile and paid and not given you any real problems besides some annoyance? A proven family, if only annoying and not any actual problem, Is a better bet to me than the gamble of a new family.

If you were to term, I find it best just to say, "My sincerest apologies, but due to unexpected personal reasons, I can no longer provide care for xxx. Xxx will be the final day of care. "

People are mad no matter WHAT the reason for termination is, so don't bother giving a reason at all, just stand firm that you're sorry for the inconvenience but due to a personal, peruse matter you can't provide care for the child anymore. Personal reasons can be a million reasons that you don't need to divulge.
Unregistered 12:36 PM 10-06-2014
That is my concern, i don't think they will be more of a pain but who knows for sure. The current family has to be reminded every week to pay,they do being it upon pick up but always forget it at drop off. They also complain about silly things(baby has milk on face from bottle when picked up, baby was eating when parents arrived!) Like i said they haven't done anything wrong but I'm already on edge with them and get anxious when i get a text from them.
NightOwl 01:34 PM 10-06-2014
If they're causing you anxiety, then maybe it's time to part ways. You shouldn't feel like you're under a microscope in your own home. Either they trust you or they don't and it sounds like they don't. They're going to be mad. There's no avoiding it.

Dear dcm,
It seems I am not a good fit for your family and there are some definite issues with trust. I have decided that, in the best interest of the whole group, we should part ways. Your last day of care is xxxx.
Good luck to your family. I appreciate the opportunity to care for your child.

After you give them notice, they will try to negotiate, so be prepared for that. Tell them you're so sorry it hasn't worked out and you've already given the spot to another family. That should put an end to the negotiations.
Unregistered 01:42 PM 10-06-2014
Thank you. That is how i am exactly how i am feeling. I couldn't put my finger on the feeling. I will see how it goes these next few days.
Reply Up