Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>GOOD GREIF! What to Say....
coolconfidentme 06:50 AM 08-02-2013
I had a boy come back from being off for the summer. It was a fluffing 20 minute ordeal of crying "don't go" & the mom explaining what she will be doing while he is in daycare. I asked her a few times to just leave & we will adjust. I reminder her that he will be in 1/2 day school next week & she isn't making it easy on him in the long run. (I hurdle all the other kids in the playroom because they were staring at him.)

This lady wants to work for me part time & wants to discuss it when she comes to pick him up this afternoon. HELP!! No way do I want her working for me. All the other kids are well adjusted & aren't whiners. I can just see him attached at the hip with her here. NOT!!! What do I say to her politely? Please & thank you!!!
CedarCreek 07:03 AM 08-02-2013
I would just tell her that you aren't looking to damage the business relationship that you have.

I had the same thing happen this morning but as usual, dcm caved and took dcb with her! What good does that do? I have no idea what to do with this anymore. We have tried bye bye outside but the parents won't stick with it.
Familycare71 07:08 AM 08-02-2013
Originally Posted by coolconfidentme:
I had a boy come back from being off for the summer. It was a fluffing 20 minute ordeal of crying "don't go" & the mom explaining what she will be doing while he is in daycare. I asked her a few times to just leave & we will adjust. I reminder her that he will be in 1/2 day school next week & she isn't making it easy on him in the long run. (I hurdle all the other kids in the playroom because they were staring at him.)

This lady wants to work for me part time & wants to discuss it when she comes to pick him up this afternoon. HELP!! No way do I want her working for me. All the other kids are well adjusted & aren't whiners. I can just see him attached at the hip with her here. NOT!!! What do I say to her politely? Please & thank you!!!
I am sorry but it is my policy that I do not hire current daycare parents. It confuses the children. Unless of course you have or currently are... Then: I'm not looking to hire anyone now, or hire anyone part time or hire a crazy no boundary mother (ok probably not this one!) at the moment!
Blackcat31 07:10 AM 08-02-2013
"I'm sorry but I could never hire a parent of a current daycare child. Too complicated, too many issues and way too much to manage."

If she wants to know why exactly I would just smile big and say "Thanks for the offer but that is NOT something I want to get into. Nothing personal."
coolconfidentme 07:38 AM 08-02-2013
She has seen my ad for part time & texted it was funny she didn't qualify to work with her child with an LOL. I told her the state was very strict on it & thought that was the end. She now said she was willing to get certified bla bla bla. I have sent her job leads & she hasn't checked on of them out. She seems to be the kind who wants to to little or nothing or have a guy take care of her, idk. Lord help me keep my mouth shut on what I really want to say to her...
Blackcat31 07:43 AM 08-02-2013
Originally Posted by coolconfidentme:
She has seen my ad for part time & texted it was funny she didn't qualify to work with her child with an LOL. I told her the state was very strict on it & thought that was the end. She now said she was willing to get certified bla bla bla. I have sent her job leads & she hasn't checked on of them out. She seems to be the kind who wants to to little or nothing or have a guy take care of her, idk. Lord help me keep my mouth shut on what I really want to say to her...
My mom used to always say:

Just keep deflecting...."Sorry Jane, I understand that you need/want a job but it isn't going to be here." Keep it lighthearted and don't give in. If she says she wants to get certified, then just tell her "Great! Now you can apply to all the other daycares in town."

I would simply NEVER work with a daycare parent (before or after they child was in care) that I wasn't really fond of.....

Stay strong!!
daycare 07:54 AM 08-02-2013
OMG BC.............where do you find those...too funny

I will not hire friends, family, or clients past or present. I also will not hire their friends or family either......

I don't allow people to bring their child to work. BTDT. it does not work. Yes we have our kids at home with us, but it took a long time for our children to adjust and for us to adjust on how to work with them while in our home.

My asst. brought her son to care one time, because they didn't have school that day. Hands down one of the worst days of DC I have ever had. Needless to say, I ended up sending her home early.

I would just say.......I am so flattered that you are interested in working with me, if I am ever in need of an assistant I will be sure to keep you in mind. Just one thing to think about, is that I would not be able to allow your child to attend daycare here if you worked for me.
cheerfuldom 10:46 AM 08-02-2013
I dont hire moms as my assistant. the last and only mom I tried it with was a hot mess. i thought she would be an exception to my rule because she was also a part time teacher for the public school. i have no idea how she got her job or how she kept it....horrible with kids. her own son was tolerable but again, its more than most moms can handle. anywho, i would highly recommend you do not hire this person! I am 99.9% sure you will regret it! she sounds lazy and just wants an easy paycheck from you.
MarinaVanessa 02:31 PM 08-03-2013
I wouldn't hire anyone that had a child in my daycare but that's just my personal preference. I've had clients ask me before and this is what I say (more or less) which helps them "get it" and then I don't have any problems afterwards.

"I don't hire parents of enrolled children as employees because children tend to act out or act differently when around their parents. Often in cases where the parent works at the daycare where the child attends the child is extremely attached onto the parent making it difficult for the parent to finish their tasks. It also causes feelings of jelousy or resentment when the parent has to focus on the other children. Overall it just isn't a good mix. Also I don't give discounts to employees so parents of children in my daycare would barely get paid anything at all once you deduct my daycare fees"
Childminder 08:33 PM 08-03-2013
One of my assistants used to bring her child to me while working at another daycare. Now she is a part time assistant here. I love her. The kids love her. Some of my best days are when she is here.
Reply Up