Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ugh, Why Can't They Cover Their Mouths! Vent
Scout 06:20 AM 12-07-2013
I am about to make all the kids wear a mask when they have a cold because no matter how many times I say it, they don't seem to cover their mouths when they cough! I am very frustrated that since Oct. I am now on my 2 cold and also had the flu earlier this week. I usually get sick 2x a year and now 2x since Oct!! Happy Holidays!! And working 15 hour days and not sleeping well isn't helping either. Vent over! Have a great Saturday!
Maria2013 07:12 AM 12-07-2013
aww I hope you feel better soon

I teach the kids in my care and my own to pull the neck out and cough/sneeze in their shirt, they listen for the most part
Scout 07:40 AM 12-07-2013
Originally Posted by Maria2013:
aww I hope you feel better soon

I teach the kids in my care and my own to pull the neck out and cough/sneeze in their shirt, they listen for the most part
this is how I cough too. I tell them into their elbow. I am about tl make them wear a mask for an hour if I see them do it.
JoseyJo 09:18 AM 12-07-2013
Originally Posted by Scout:
this is how I cough too. I tell them into their elbow. I am about tl make them wear a mask for an hour if I see them do it.
When they don't know to cover their cough- as in never have been taught- we say "uh oh, make sure you cover your cough so we don't spread germs" then SHOW the them a correct cough and cover then have them mimick it. This works well with toddler and up since they don't have to understand the words, they are mimicking the actions.

When they do know and just don't do it we have them clean the area they coughed/sneezed on each time. If they cough on their hands they go wash, if they cough/sneeze on the table they wipe down the table, etc. This works well with our testing preschool group
Maria2013 10:06 AM 12-07-2013
Originally Posted by Scout:
I don't like them to use their elbow cause then they give me yucky hugs
Josiegirl 11:32 AM 12-07-2013
OMG I had a little 3 yo that made me sooo angry the other day. She's smart as a whip but so stubborn. She started coughing so I told her to please use her elbow. She knows the drill. Instead, she turns to her friend and purposefully continues coughing right smack into her friend's face. I was so mad.
Scout 11:44 AM 12-07-2013
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
OMG I had a little 3 yo that made me sooo angry the other day. She's smart as a whip but so stubborn. She started coughing so I told her to please use her elbow. She knows the drill. Instead, she turns to her friend and purposefully continues coughing right smack into her friend's face. I was so mad.
I know what you mean, only its when they look right at me and put toys in their mouth. YUK!
Play Care 03:14 AM 12-09-2013
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
This is what my kids do as well! I am always reminding them to use their "magic elbow" (because it magically helps keep germs at bay ) The other day I was buckling my 4.5 year old into the car seat to leave for preschool and he got me full in the face with a wet sneeze!
I am trying to minimize any instance where I need to be in their "sneeze zone" by having them do as much of their personal care as possible.
Tags:contagious, coughing, sneezing
Reply Up