Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>MMK Questions
CrackerJacks 11:22 PM 01-21-2014
OKay, so I'm trying MMK to see how I like it. But I have 2 questions.

1. Is there a way to enter my additional hours worked on a continuous basis. Basically, do I have to enter these hours EVERY DAY? I have the same routine day after day after day (1hr in the am before kids come, 1hr in the evening and a few on the weekends)....but I don't want to have to enter it EVERY DAY. I used to just keep track in a little planner for 2 months and then get an average and multiply by the number of weeks I was open for the year. There has to be a way...I'm hoping, fingers crossed.

2. I have a women who comes to clean my house weekly. She comes on Saturdays, or days when I'm closed. She is here for 5hrs total. She spends 2.5hrs cleaning my exclusive use space and 2.5hr cleaning my shared spaces. I pay her by check $100. HOW do I record her hours and the amount I pay her. Since $50 is 100% deductible and $50 is t/s% deductible?

Hope some expert MMK users have some ideas
craftymissbeth 06:07 AM 01-22-2014
I'm not sure about #2, but for #1 I don't think there's a way to have it automatically log your extra hours. I will say, though, that it takes no more than an extra minute or so to do it. I log on once a day to record attendance and during that time I enter my extra time.
Cat Herder 06:16 AM 01-22-2014
Originally Posted by CrackerJacks:
1. Is there a way to enter my additional hours worked on a continuous basis. Basically, do I have to enter these hours EVERY DAY?

2. I have a women who comes to clean my house weekly. She comes on Saturdays, or days when I'm closed. She is here for 5hrs total. She spends 2.5hrs cleaning my exclusive use space and 2.5hr cleaning my shared spaces. I pay her by check $100. HOW do I record her hours and the amount I pay her. Since $50 is 100% deductible and $50 is t/s% deductible?

1. I document daily for January to show the pattern (**same house/playroom/routine 8 years**), then document by the week thereafter (you can do the entire year in advance that way). If I do any time above that, however, I document those hours separately with explanation. It is very easy to edit/add/omit any time before printing off the forms at the end of year. It is a very fluid program.

2. No idea, just jealous.

Edit: Listen to whatever Tom says. He is brilliant.
melilley 06:20 AM 01-22-2014
For #1 Tom told me to keep careful track of outside hours for 2 months and use those hours for the rest of the year.

For #2 I have no idea, but am totally jealous as well!
frugalmama4 08:19 AM 01-22-2014
Hello,

Well first you will have to defined the cleaning ladies "title/role" is she your employee or a independent contractor?? From the sound of it I would say IRS would defined her as a independent contractor...

You will not claim the hours she is cleaning your hours...but you would record the amount you pay her...just enter it in MMK under "home repairs and maintenance" enter the 100% as one entry and the t/s% as another. You can also enter it as "Sch -C other" and just remember to add a detailed description i.e. "Jan 22 Jane Smith 100% daycare space cleaning" etc.

Now I encourage you to read over Tom's blog on the topic of "employees vs contractors and the IRS website to get a better understanding...I do believe you would be required to issues her a 1099 at the end of the tax year too.

I'm sure Tom will have an answer for you as well...

Hope this helped!
frugalmama4 08:27 AM 01-22-2014
Oh yea, #1

Tom says to track your hours for the first two months of the year...and just use the average for the entire year.

In MMK under the time space % tap their is a tap lable "other activities" you would record all the extra time here...

Look of Tom's blog...he posted a video on this a few days ago!
CrackerJacks 09:26 AM 01-22-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
1. I document daily for January to show the pattern (**same house/playroom/routine 8 years**), then document by the week thereafter (you can do the entire year in advance that way). If I do any time above that, however, I document those hours separately with explanation. It is very easy to edit/add/omit any time before printing off the forms at the end of year. It is a very fluid program.

2. No idea, just jealous.

Edit: Listen to whatever Tom says. He is brilliant.
So, why about days that I'm closed? How do I figure that into it. For instance I was closed this past Monday for a holiday. Between vacation, sick days, holidays and half days, I'm closed approx 6 weeks out of the year.
Cat Herder 09:38 AM 01-22-2014
So, why about days that I'm closed? How do I figure that into it. For instance I was closed this past Monday for a holiday. Between vacation, sick days, holidays and half days, I'm closed approx 6 weeks out of the year.
Then you would choose the week entered, click edit, subtract that amount from the time previously entered (your usual time) and put something like "closed 01-02-14 for weather" or "short week" in the category box to explain the discrepancy.
MarinaVanessa 09:53 AM 01-22-2014

1. Is there a way to enter my additional hours worked on a continuous basis. Basically, do I have to enter these hours EVERY DAY? I have the same routine day after day after day (1hr in the am before kids come, 1hr in the evening and a few on the weekends)....but I don't want to have to enter it EVERY DAY. I used to just keep track in a little planner for 2 months and then get an average and multiply by the number of weeks I was open for the year. There has to be a way...I'm hoping, fingers crossed.

#1. I use a planner to write down all of my business time spent when no kids are here and then at the end of the week I total up all of my time by categories like MMK lists (record keeping, cleaning etc) then at the end of the month I total them up again and enter them all at once for the whole month by category. This way I only have to enter them once a month.

#2 I don't think you can record her hours because its not you or your family cleaning, you hired someone else but I'm not sure. I think that's a question for Tom Copeland. As far as the cleaning bill I'm assuming that you would deduct the time/space percentage just like you would any other shared expense.
CrackerJacks 10:55 AM 01-22-2014
Thank you everyone for your ideas!
I believe Tom mentioned in a conference I attended last year that you could include hours others work in your home as long as they were directly related to Childcare and it was outside of your regular business hours. Because she comes on Saturdays and spends 2.5hr cleaning my exclusive daycare space I should be able to count those hours. But, would live to get clarification from Tom...
TomCopeland 08:20 AM 01-23-2014

I did an instructional video for Minute Menu userson how to track hours when children are not present. It's one of a number I have done for those who joined The Child Care Business Partnership.

Here's a link to the video that I made public so people could see the type of help I provide to Partnership members: http://youtu.be/RzMsnJEBvik

Here's where you can get more info on the Partnership:http://www.tomcopelandblog.com/2013/...u-and-you.html

Cleaning woman: Yes, deduct $50 for the exclusive space and $50 x your Time-Space % for the other $50. You can also count all the time she spends cleaning the exclusive use space and part of the time she spends cleaning the shared space.

Don’t miss my February 4th webinar “Tax Changes for 2013: How to Avoid Mistakes When Filling Out Your 2013 Tax Forms.” It starts at 9pm Eastern Time and is sponsored by Daycare.com. Register here: http://events.r20.constantcontact.co...&llr=yatrx4cab
CrackerJacks 08:48 AM 01-23-2014
Thanks Tom. I'll be attending your conference in San Mateo in Feb. How I determine how much time to use for the cleaning of the shared space? She spends 2.5hrs cleaning the shared space.
TomCopeland 11:56 AM 01-23-2014
Thanks Tom. I'll be attending your conference in San Mateo in Feb. How I determine how much time to use for the cleaning of the shared space? She spends 2.5hrs cleaning the shared space.
There is no "correct" answer. I'd probably count half the time or more if the daycare created most of the mess.
Tags:deduction - cleaning, mmk, time space percentage
Reply Up