Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Wants To Take The Day To Herself? WWYS?
daycare 10:25 PM 04-24-2014
I recently posted about a dcp that I have, single mom that was not paying on time and taking advantage. Well now this.

Next week we will only be open half of a day one day, because I will be going out of the town and did not want to have to leave the DC open all day.

It's not really vacation for me if I leave the DC open because I stress. Anyways, I send out a reminder that we will only be open half day. Many of the parents take their vacations at the same time that I do. They get the time off list at the start of the year and plan at that time.

I normally have to have both of my asst here in order to be within ratios when I am gone. Ratio is 1 to 6 with the age group that I have. I asked all the DCP to let me know if their child will be attending or not. Looks like I will only have 7 kids that day instead of 12. Which means that if I only had 6 kids instead of 7 then I would not have to pay 2 employees to be here.

When I asked DCM above if her child was coming she says, oh well, I have the day off, but I am going to send DCK anyway so I can have a day to myself. I look at her like HUH, blank stare and didn't say anything.

Now, I don't have anything in my policies about this, but I am pretty upset about recent issues with DCM taking advantage of me with payments and the discount that I have been giving her. (in my defense, I have always helped single moms out in the past and have NEVER been burned like this before).
So I feel like I should be telling her that since she has the day off she needs to keep her kid home. If she sends him, it will cost me more money to have him here than he even pays to attend, because I will need 2 employees instead of 1.

Do you think that this would be fair of me to tell the DCM that she has to keep her kid home for that day? How would you handle this? What would you say?
lilcupcakes09 04:30 AM 04-25-2014
It's a tough situation, but I think it's one that you have to just suck up and move on....... she is paying you for your services after all. I have a parent who I absolutely can't stand that does the same thing, it really bothers me that she doesn't spend the extra time that she has available with her child, but who am I to judge her on that, it seems the $$ is more important to some parents always which makes me sad. It bothers me that this particular mom has NEVER other than the first day of school took the time to put her child on the bus, even when she is home for one reason or another, and that the only time she has ever gotten him off the bus or picked him up before I close at 5pm is because she had too, because I needed to close early. But as my husband reminds me, "she is paying you", so I let it go, but cringe inside everyday when I hear them pull up. But for the sake of the child I keep him, I look at it as he needs the environment here, because at home he is pretty much non-existent, they are not a big "activities" family, it's mostly about video games and him entertaining himself in the evenings after pick up
debbiedoeszip 04:38 AM 04-25-2014
If she had said, "Yes, my child is coming.", and you thought she was working that day, would you be upset right now? If the answer is no, then you should just let it go.
MamaBearCanada 04:43 AM 04-25-2014
Is tuition based on attendance or enrollment? If based on enrollment perhaps she's thinking she's already paid for care so why not send him? I don't think it would be fair to ask her to keep him home to save you money but still expect her to pay for the day.

Would you feel differently if she had stuck to policies?

It would tick me off but I wouldn't say anything unless I was willing to credit for the day.
taylorw1210 05:08 AM 04-25-2014
I understand the circumstances you are in, personally, with the ratio issue. That sucks.

However, I would look at it as just crappy circumstances and try not to resent her. I'm assuming your tuition is based on enrollment?
Play Care 05:15 AM 04-25-2014
I agree with the other posters.

That said, I would be changing the way I do business with her in the future (ie: no more discounts)
DaisyMamma 06:21 AM 04-25-2014
If a parent pays for the service then it's not really up to us what they do, especially if we require payment regardless of attendance.

With that said it does make me mad when parents do this. It makes me sad for their child.
daycare 06:54 AM 04-25-2014
Yes you are all right and I guess this just got me because of how forth coming DCM is with her information. Like it's always no big deal.

I already told her no more paying late or late fee and no pay no stay. This just felt like a smack in the face.

Thanks for the reminder.
JenNJ 07:40 AM 04-25-2014
Honestly, if she is off and has been a problem client I would rescind the offer. I would say that all the spaces are filled for the day and that you don't require payment but dc kid must not attend that day. I would not lose money to open for a client who isn't respectful of me.
MichellesKiddos 07:52 AM 04-25-2014
I'm with Jen on this one. If it were a regular paying client that was respectful towards me otherwise, I would suck it up. However, given the fact that she has shown you little to no respect, especially after getting a discounted rate, I would tell her that you just don't have the room for dcb that day. I also would not charge for that day for her either. You already know she is off of work, so it's not like it's inconveniencing her work schedule at all. I'd recommend changing her rate to the regular rate though.
jenn 07:58 AM 04-25-2014
Normally, I don't really care what the parents are doing. The child is here and I'm getting paid to care for them, so what difference does it make what the parent is off doing. I do think it is poor parenting, but I don't run a parent training business so whatever.
However, in this situation, I would feel differently. Since she made it your business by telling you she is off, and you are going to actually lose money by having him here, I would let her know that you can not provide care for that half day. "Due to the reduced number of children attending the half day next week, I will only be hiring one assistant. Since you responded last to needing care and you stated that you are off anyway, I will not be able to provide care for your child on that day as it will put me over ratio. You will not be charged for this day. If you truly need him to come, the fee for bringing in the second assistant is $XX. You will need to include that in your payment."
Mister Sir Husband 08:13 AM 04-25-2014
I can understand your willingness to help single moms, as I will be doing this to some extent myself. In my case, the help will be in the form of possibly not being so strict in late fees, perhaps a discount on enrollment, and maybe watching kids on a weekend if her job wants her to work. You mentioned her being behind in payments. I know this isn't going to help your situation, but she wouldn't be in my program if she didn't pay on time. I would have already cut her enough breaks in other ways, payment is on time.
momofboys 08:15 AM 04-25-2014
is this parent's payments up-to-date? I know you were discussing a parent on a separate board. has she paid you? I would be upset but if she is up-to-date on payments she would seem to have the right to use the 1/2 day. Now if she is in arrears with you, no way!
daycare 08:29 AM 04-25-2014
Originally Posted by momofboys:
is this parent's payments up-to-date? I know you were discussing a parent on a separate board. has she paid you? I would be upset but if she is up-to-date on payments she would seem to have the right to use the 1/2 day. Now if she is in arrears with you, no way!
yes this is the same parent and no she is not currently up to date
Cradle2crayons 08:33 AM 04-25-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:
yes this is the same parent and no she is not currently up to date
Then heck no. I'd quickly tell her no.
Crazy8 08:44 AM 04-25-2014
sorry, but I don't see where you can tell her she can't bring her child on a day you are open and she has that spot.

honestly I don't see what being up to date has to do with her bringing child on the day you are opened half a day either… It is an issue obviously, I'm not saying its not - but one has nothing to do with the other. If you are allowing her to come when not current in her fees on Thursday when you are open full day how can you just say well on Friday when open half a day you can't come?? You can however state that if fees are not all up to date on such and such date (make it before that half day) that child will not be allowed back till all fees are paid. But you need to put your foot down and not allow this - not because of a half day when she is off, but just because its policy.
wdmmom 08:45 AM 04-25-2014
I would tell DCM the predictament you are in and that you only have availability for 6 children and all the spots are taken and that given she has the day off, it only makes sense to not have care that day.

If you don't want to approach her that route, simply tell her that after speaking to all the families, you deemed it not advantageous to open that day at all.
daycare 09:05 AM 04-25-2014
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
sorry, but I don't see where you can tell her she can't bring her child on a day you are open and she has that spot.

honestly I don't see what being up to date has to do with her bringing child on the day you are opened half a day either… It is an issue obviously, I'm not saying its not - but one has nothing to do with the other. If you are allowing her to come when not current in her fees on Thursday when you are open full day how can you just say well on Friday when open half a day you can't come?? You can however state that if fees are not all up to date on such and such date (make it before that half day) that child will not be allowed back till all fees are paid. But you need to put your foot down and not allow this - not because of a half day when she is off, but just because its policy.
this is a very good point. I know that her attendance on this day should not be based off of her being off, but the pure fact that I need to enforce the no pay no stay policy. she has to pay the day before so if she does not pay on thursday then he can't come friday. I gave her the enforcement letter yesterday so I guess we will have to wait and see what she does.
daycarediva 09:14 AM 04-25-2014
Originally Posted by JenNJ:
Honestly, if she is off and has been a problem client I would rescind the offer. I would say that all the spaces are filled for the day and that you don't require payment but dc kid must not attend that day. I would not lose money to open for a client who isn't respectful of me.

Originally Posted by MichellesKiddos:
I'm with Jen on this one. If it were a regular paying client that was respectful towards me otherwise, I would suck it up. However, given the fact that she has shown you little to no respect, especially after getting a discounted rate, I would tell her that you just don't have the room for dcb that day. I also would not charge for that day for her either. You already know she is off of work, so it's not like it's inconveniencing her work schedule at all. I'd recommend changing her rate to the regular rate though.

"Dcm, unfortunately the 6 spaces that were available for half day care on X day are filled. Since you aren't working, I have credited your past due balance for the day in the amount of X, bringing your new past due balance to X. Thanks for your understanding. See you X day."

REALLY BIG SMILE.

I WOULD NOT allow a client who owed me money to cost me MORE money for her convenience. I would credit the day towards her back bill. Losing money is not a good business practice, but losing money for someone who isn't even up to date on payments is even worse, imho.
momofboys 09:52 AM 04-25-2014
Originally Posted by Crazy8:

She is not current with her daycare payment - for me that would be no pay no care. Simple!
JenNJ 10:03 AM 04-25-2014
I do see the correlation between her payments being behind and this half day. By taking her child and hiring an assistant she will be out even more money than she currently is. With this update, no WAY would I take her child that day.

"Dcm, I have come to the difficult decision that dc kid cannot attend next week. Unfortunately the spaces for this day have been filled. If he must attend, please let me know by Monday. You regular dues will be waived but you will need to pay second assistant in cash $X at drop off for the day."
DuchessRavenwaves 10:03 AM 04-25-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
l
"Dcm, unfortunately the 6 spaces that were available for half day care on X day are filled. Since you aren't working, I have credited your past due balance for the day in the amount of X, bringing your new past due balance to X. Thanks for your understanding. See you X day."

REALLY BIG SMILE.

I WOULD NOT allow a client who owed me money to cost me MORE money for her convenience. I would credit the day towards her back bill. Losing money is not a good business practice, but losing money for someone who isn't even up to date on payments is even worse, imho.
Yes, yes, yes! All of this.
Mom o Col 06:20 PM 04-25-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:

REALLY BIG SMILE.

I totally agree with this!!!
wdmmom 07:52 PM 04-26-2014
I guess it doesn't seem to be too much of an issue now considering the other thread!

She got her "ME DAY" yesterday. Hope she surely enjoyed that one!!
snowball 12:12 PM 04-28-2014
So what ended up happening?
Unregistered 12:50 PM 04-28-2014
I think you are morally (and perhaps contractually, depending on your contract) obligated to choose one of the following:

1. Don't say another word and allow dck to attend on this day. After all, I am assuming she is paying whether he attends or not so it would not be right to accept other kids into care that day but turn this child away.

2. Offer to let her JUST THIS ONE TIME keep him home for the day AND be reimbursed/not pay for this day. It would save her money but it would save her money too! I would be up front with her and explain to her why you are offering it this one time (because a 7th child means an extra assistant) and this one time only.

OR---

you could explain the situation to her AND all your other dcp's who will be sending their child that day, and see if anyone has an alternative care option that day. Maybe you could present it like you are going out of town, and one of your assistants might not be available that day so you are seeing if anyone would be willing to volunteer an absence so that you can stay open for all of the parents who have no other options, and see if anyone is nice enough to offer it up.
Reply Up