Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Dealing with a Difficult Coworker
lilrosebird 06:12 PM 06-28-2014
I've never posted on a forum before, but I really need to vent.

I work in a big daycare center with infants and toddlers. There are 2 other teachers in the classroom. 1 of them is great. We work really well together. The other one just started at the end of April and is very controlling. The biggest thing that bothers me about her is that she seems to think that she is exempt from all rules. Our center has to follow all licensing regulations. One of the biggest ones is the ratio. It's 4:1. So, if there are 8 kids in the classroom, there needs to be 2 teachers in the room. The new teacher is constantly leaving the room when there are too many kids, so I'm left all by myself with 8 kids. The other day, she even left 4 kids on the playground by themselves. She doesn't understand the concept of rules, safety, or teamwork. She carried a child across the room, while still on his cot and almost dropped him. She is also rude to the kids and has done so in front of a parent before. She doesn't work well with me or the other teacher and is rude to both of us. She doesn't listen to us when we try to talk to her about this stuff. She always says, "I know". Well, if she knows, then why does she do these things? The other day, she asked me if something was okay to do. I said no and explained why. Then she did it anyway. She's only worked there for 3 months and feels like she knows better than us and like she should be in control of everything.

She does put a lot of work into the job. She works extra hours without getting paid and puts a lot of thought into her lesson plans, but when she's there, she doesn't put much effort in. Me and the other teacher have both talked to our supervisor separately because we don't know what to do and the other teacher doesn't listen to us. Our supervisor came to observe in our classroom. Everything went perfectly, so our supervisor hasn't done anything about it, and nothing has changed.

Does anyone have any ideas of what to do or how to deal with this? Even just ways to get through the day because I used to love my job and kind of dread it now. I still love the kids, but can't stand being there just because of this other teacher. Has anyone dealt with something similar?
midaycare 08:31 PM 06-28-2014
Hi! *Waves Hello*

I have had my share of difficult co-workers. It's part of most jobs. When you put different personalities together, you can't expect everyone to get along.

It's unfortunate that she is not paying attention to regulations, but you did say that she works hard and has great lesson plans.

Can the 3 of have a meeting and discuss some of these things? Have you tried talking to her first? I know you have told her of some of the regulations, but have both of you sat down and really talked to her?
Laurel 07:35 AM 06-29-2014
Originally Posted by lilrosebird:
I've never posted on a forum before, but I really need to vent.

I work in a big daycare center with infants and toddlers. There are 2 other teachers in the classroom. 1 of them is great. We work really well together. The other one just started at the end of April and is very controlling. The biggest thing that bothers me about her is that she seems to think that she is exempt from all rules. Our center has to follow all licensing regulations. One of the biggest ones is the ratio. It's 4:1. So, if there are 8 kids in the classroom, there needs to be 2 teachers in the room. The new teacher is constantly leaving the room when there are too many kids, so I'm left all by myself with 8 kids. The other day, she even left 4 kids on the playground by themselves. She doesn't understand the concept of rules, safety, or teamwork. She carried a child across the room, while still on his cot and almost dropped him. She is also rude to the kids and has done so in front of a parent before. She doesn't work well with me or the other teacher and is rude to both of us. She doesn't listen to us when we try to talk to her about this stuff. She always says, "I know". Well, if she knows, then why does she do these things? The other day, she asked me if something was okay to do. I said no and explained why. Then she did it anyway. She's only worked there for 3 months and feels like she knows better than us and like she should be in control of everything.

She does put a lot of work into the job. She works extra hours without getting paid and puts a lot of thought into her lesson plans, but when she's there, she doesn't put much effort in. Me and the other teacher have both talked to our supervisor separately because we don't know what to do and the other teacher doesn't listen to us. Our supervisor came to observe in our classroom. Everything went perfectly, so our supervisor hasn't done anything about it, and nothing has changed.

Does anyone have any ideas of what to do or how to deal with this? Even just ways to get through the day because I used to love my job and kind of dread it now. I still love the kids, but can't stand being there just because of this other teacher. Has anyone dealt with something similar?
I think it is the supervisor's place to get this under control. Leaving you with 8 children is illegal and dangerous.

I think what I might try is to say to the supervisor. "Susie walks out of the room a lot and I am left with 8 children by myself. How do you want me to handle this when it happens?" The only other thing I can think of is to document the exact times she walks out of the room and hand the sheet to the supervisor. The best would be for all the teachers and the supervisor to sit down together and discuss this. Maybe see if you can all have a meeting.

The only other thing I know of is a little sneaky but could be used as a last resort. I have worked at a preschool and the number one thing that director's seem to care about is how the parents feel. If one of the parents would complain about ratios and the director is concerned about a parent pulling because of it that would be effective. We used to have one teacher who hinted to a parent or two that she could trust to 'complain.' It worked but it might not sit well with some. Maybe a last resort though. OR, technically this could be reported to licensing so maybe say to the supervisor "What if a parent seems us out of ratio and reports us?"

I don't know just trying to think of things as this would be an awful position to be in.

Let us know what happens.

Laurel
Shell 02:42 PM 06-29-2014
Hi! Yes, this situation is all too common in daycare centers. Two people work well together, and one isn't pulling their weight. I think it's just the nature of daycare centers- it's just difficult for three people to work together on harmony- though it is possible. I agree with the suggestions for a group meeting. Tell your director that you would like to have a constructive meeting where you explain things like ratios, and answer any questions she might be having. Another alternative is to have a team meeting during nap (and tell your director about it), take notes, and share how it went with the director.
TwinKristi 03:48 PM 06-29-2014
Personally, I would document the incidents where she blatantly disobeys licensing rules, make a copy and bring it to your supervisor and explain you don't want to be responsible if something bad happens during one of these lapses in her judgement. I would ask to file a formal complaint with these documented occurrences because you're afraid for the safety of the children. If she doesn't listen to you, ask to be placed in another classroom or if she can. Try to resolve it amicably first, but if they disregard the safety of the children repeatedly I would quit and find a new job! Their safety should be first and foremost. Also, I know this isn't a recommended way to solve the problem, but perhaps ask your supervisor how she things the parents of these children would feel knowing this teacher carried their child on a cot almost dropping them, left 4 children unattended on more than 1 occasion, etc. I'm sure they wouldn't be happy nor would licensing. Your other option is to call and report to licensing yourself. Not the best way to handle it but if the amicable options don't work something has to change.
lilrosebird 05:44 PM 06-29-2014
Thank you all so much for your suggestions! I think I'm going to give the meeting with my coworkers a try. I'll talk to my supervisor tomorrow. I really hope this can be solved in a friendly manner! Thanks!
midaycare 07:27 PM 06-29-2014
Originally Posted by lilrosebird:
Thank you all so much for your suggestions! I think I'm going to give the meeting with my coworkers a try. I'll talk to my supervisor tomorrow. I really hope this can be solved in a friendly manner! Thanks!
Good luck! Let us know how it goes and don't be a stranger. This is a fun group!
Reply Up