Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Some Days I Wonder Why I Bother
deliberateliterate 07:05 AM 11-19-2014
My kids (2) just do not know how, or care to play. Because they interact so badly with each other, I set up mats that they stay on independently, and we rotate. I start them off showing them what to do, but I get nothing. They dump their boxes, then tell me they're all done. They only want what the other has, but as soon as we trade, they're bored. Then they cry when I tell them play time isn't over. I've never had even one like this, never mind my whole small group.

We're all miserable. But of course they almost start salavating when they see the iPad or my phone, so I have a feeling that's what they do at home. One is so bad that I have to hide the iPad or turn it over when I'm using it to play music. She'll contort herself to even catch a glimpse of what is on the screen.

Why am I forcing them to learn how to play if they don't want to???
Wednesday! 08:20 AM 11-19-2014
Because they don't get the option of not playing. If they never play, there's no telling what kind of little monsters they'll turn into as older children. I would suggest discontinuing the separate spaces for a while and just let them go. You will probably be a referee more than a caregiver for a while, but sometimes that's in the job description. They MUST play. It's so very important.
Unregistered 08:32 AM 11-19-2014
How old are they? Play has different developmental stages.
Heidi 08:48 AM 11-19-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
How old are they? Play has different developmental stages.
I'm so sorry..but well, Duh...

Most likely the 2-year olds would be in the parallel play stage. They are apparently not even doing that. THAT is the problem.

I am in the same boat some days with my toddlers, OP. Today, I have 2 toddlers and 1 baby, and you'd think I have 20 children here by how helpless they're all acting.
deliberateliterate 09:39 AM 11-19-2014
Originally Posted by Wednesday:
Because they don't get the option of not playing. If they never play, there's no telling what kind of little monsters they'll turn into as older children. I would suggest discontinuing the separate spaces for a while and just let them go. You will probably be a referee more than a caregiver for a while, but sometimes that's in the job description. They MUST play. It's so very important.
I started mat play on the advice of others here because of this thread: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74108

As hard as it is, it's miles better than letting them loose as I was doing before. At least this way, I don't need to scream in to a pillow every day.

After play time, we did a craft, which was more of the same. But then I set up some blocks, and did basically hand over hand with constant interaction by me, and constant redirection and praise. It's not ideal, but hopefully one day it will pay off because "go play toys" just isn't working here.
Soccermom 10:06 AM 11-19-2014
How are they with table activities and directed play?

Maybe add in a little more of those if they work well.

Also, technology is part of our world and a huge part of theirs. You could maybe incorporate it into your day. There are apps for creating stories and some great videos that get kids dancing and moving. As long as they are not sitting in front of a screen all day like zombies, it could help you remain sane until they move into the imaginative play stage

melilley 10:17 AM 11-19-2014
Have you tried sensory play? A lot of the time when my group gets crazy, I'll get out a sensory activity or the sensory table and it seems to help. My kids will play for hours! I know you can't do that all day, but it may help at least for a while!
daycarediva 10:25 AM 11-19-2014
Instead of mats, can you rotate stations/centers? Maybe an art activity at the table, a sensory activity in a tub on a mat on the floor, and a set of toys already set out. 1 for each child in care.

Have them get settled in playing, set a timer (and I hate timers, but it helps with the very short attention spans of screen addicted kids) and they can't switch until the timer goes off?

Do something fun/active as a group activity like dancing so they see peers as positive?
Reply Up