Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Another Sensory Bin??
Josiegirl 09:58 AM 09-04-2016
What does anybody like to put in their sensory bins this time of year?
I just went to the Dollar Tree. What a misleading name to call a store where you walk out with 48 bucks of stuff.
Anyways, they had lots of cool stuff for Halloween. I bought a couple pair of tongs that look like skeleton arms and some eye balls, and glow in the dark centipedes. I also have lots of those maple leaves they sell too.

One year I had a rice/bean table filled with fake acorn and apples but cannot find the acorns/apples anywhere.

What do you like to put in that the kids love?
LK5kids 10:24 AM 09-04-2016
I'm so doing this! I just love it! But maybe you are looking for non-food ideas. I also dye bow pasta in fall colors and add orange lentils but again that's food. I also get a lot of awsome stuff at the Dollar Tree!

I add seasonal containers from the Dollar tree. I also put in bats, bugs, skeletons from the Dollar tree closer to Halloween.
Attached: image.jpg (44.2 KB) 
LK5kids 10:32 AM 09-04-2016
Also, for years I've bought fall corn (Indian corn) and the kids have a great time peeling it off the cob into the lentils. Wonderful small motor activity!
spedmommy4 12:05 PM 09-04-2016
My Fall/winter sensory favorites

Rice (fall colors)
Real Snow (when available)
Insta snow
Hay
Acorns, Leaves, twigs, pine cones
Ice cubes or crushed ice, or a large block of ice. For extra fun, freeze things in the ice. (When I do winter, December themes)
Birdseed
Grain - or pellets used for animal feed
Fabric samples with varying textures
Make your own moon sand: 4 cups sand + 2 cups cornflour + 1 cup of water
Natural clay
Real or fake flowers
Pom-poms (fall colors)
Polymer crystals (AKA: Water gems)- they are used to provide water to plants; they absorb it and turn into a gel
Insides of a cleaned-out pumpkin - or whole gourds/mini pumpkins/decorative corn
Josiegirl 02:41 PM 09-04-2016
Originally Posted by LK5kids:
Also, for years I've bought fall corn (Indian corn) and the kids have a great time peeling it off the cob into the lentils. Wonderful small motor activity!
Cool idea! Like the farm bin too with the corn kernels. The kids could help me make a barn too, might as well put them to work.

Spedmommy, you just reminded me that I have a bag(somewhere)filled with pine cones and sticks, we also added paper towel tubes. I have to look for it!!
MrsSteinel'sHouse 09:05 AM 09-06-2016
I have red, yellow, green pom poms in my bin right now with some red, yellow, green buckets for sorting, dumping etc.

I also do the indian or popcorn on the cob to pick off.

I have done a bin with popcorn as the fill, tractor, animals, pumpkins etc in it. I have also done it with cut up raffia to be the "straw".

wooden school buses, ABC rocks, fish aquarium rocks.

ABC I spy bin with a lot of small objects, plastic abc's rainbow dyed rice fill.

Playdoh and animals.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 09:09 AM 09-06-2016
I forgot the flower arranging bin.
https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...89&oe=588349AF

[IMG]
[/IMG]
MrsSteinel'sHouse 09:11 AM 09-06-2016
Orange kentic sand and spiders

another fall bin.

MrsSteinel'sHouse 09:16 AM 09-06-2016

Cat Herder 10:24 AM 09-06-2016
Quick question: Do the "choke tube rules" not apply to sensory bins? I am noticing that all the examples my mentor is giving me are against regs. How do we meet both QRIS and Regs, with sensory bins...

It feels like bait to me. Maybe I have been bitten too many times, IDK.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 10:39 AM 09-06-2016
My sensory bins are not accessible to the little ones. I have to know that they are non mouthers to play in them. So my 3+ are the ones that have tiny objects.
Now, I have had 2 yr olds that have played fine in them. I supervise them.

Now for little ones- keep objects big I have filled mine with all larger toys so wooden abc blocks with other toys hidden under.
Playdoh and the sensory object with larger animals.
Larger pom poms.
Oatmeal as the fill so if they do taste it, it is ok.

It really does vary depending upon the group. Like I said, mine is in the kitchen with a gate separating the playroom and the little ones.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 10:45 AM 09-06-2016
I would use this one for younger ones-

this is inside the wading pool. I fill with tissue and add "objects" to find.

MrsSteinel'sHouse 10:46 AM 09-06-2016
obleck in the sensory bin is also good for the little ones.
Cloud dough... there really is a lot you can do for the little ones that you don't have to worry about choke hazzards.
Finger paint and sponges.
Cat Herder 10:47 AM 09-06-2016
Smart. Thanks!
MrsSteinel'sHouse 10:52 AM 09-06-2016
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Smart. Thanks!
you are welcome, hope that helps some.

Now my older 2 girls love sensory bins because they get to "escape" the littler ones and play with some "cooler" set ups. I did raffia for straw and horses a few weeks ago. They added some other items and had a great time. My playroom has to be safe for all ages so it gives them a little bit of more imaginative play.
Unregistered 12:36 AM 09-08-2016
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
you are welcome, hope that helps some.

Now my older 2 girls love sensory bins because they get to "escape" the littler ones and play with some "cooler" set ups. I did raffia for straw and horses a few weeks ago. They added some other items and had a great time. My playroom has to be safe for all ages so it gives them a little bit of more imaginative play.
Mrs. S you are the queen of sensory tables! I bow down to you! I check into your Facebook page from time to time. Love your ideas and recognize all the work you put into those bins as well as other things!
Josiegirl 03:13 AM 09-08-2016
Another trip to the dollar store this next weekend!! I lovelovelove all the ideas!!

I had bought several bags of potpourri with seed pods a few years ago. I dug that out yesterday and the 3 yos scooped, sorted, sniffed, to their heart's content.

I have so many ideas now, thank you to all of you!!
MyAngels 06:42 AM 09-08-2016
You guys are awesome! I came on this morning to search for refresh ideas for my bins, and here they are, all in one place. Thanks!
Reply Up