Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 10-12-2016, 02:06 PM
Daycare.com Member

Default Red Dots - Not Bug Bites

How would you handle this? Dcb is 3 yo and was here yesterday and was totally fine with little or no bug bites at all. He showed up this morning covered in red dots and bug bites. His mom said a mosquito must have gotten in his room last night and gave me benadryl cream. Once she left and I finished serving breakfast I looked a dcb and he does have a few large mosquito bites on his face and arms but he also has some red dots and other red areas on his skin that are definitely not mosquito bites (on his face, back and arms). He has on jeans and this afternoon he pulled his pant leg up to scratch and his legs are covered with red bites of some sort. He has no fever and has not been scratching at all this morning or really until I saw him just now. What should I do with this child? ( my mind freaks out and thinks chicken pox or hand foot and mouth but it could be something minor). Thoughts?
Old 10-12-2016, 02:16 PM
Daycare.com Member

I would send DCB home and request a visit to the doctor before he is allowed to return to care.

(I exclude for all unexplained rashes, bumps or skin sores).
Old 10-12-2016, 02:25 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator

ditto on what PP said.

Don't let dcm bully you and don't let her try to diagnosis child.

rule is that the child needs to be seen by a medical doctor and can only return with doctors note with diagnosis and treatment plan. child can NOT return with a note that says, not contagious, can return to care.

Once you know what the child has, you are the one who decides if you can continue to meet the child needs and all of the other children in your care as well.

I don't mess around with rashes.
Old 10-12-2016, 02:34 PM
Daycare.com Member

Are the bites in clusters?

Bed bugs? My bites from bed bugs looked like spider or mosquito bites at first because my body responded to the bites like an allergy and swelled up...it was awesome. Then a few days later the swelling went down and there were 3-4 bites where I thought there was just one. I still have flash backs.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:51 PM
Daycare.com Member

Could be flea bites .
Old 10-12-2016, 05:45 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Home View Post
Could be flea bites .
What if it is fleas. Do I send him home? Make him stay home 24 hours? Tell my other parents? Last week I had a dcp say they think their daughter had flea bites and said they have no pets and was kinda of thinking she gto them here but I have no pets and keep my home very clean and my kids and my husband and me are fine.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:57 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXhomedaycare View Post
What if it is fleas. Do I send him home? Make him stay home 24 hours? Tell my other parents? Last week I had a dcp say they think their daughter had flea bites and said they have no pets and was kinda of thinking she gto them here but I have no pets and keep my home very clean and my kids and my husband and me are fine.
what if it isnt???
Old 10-12-2016, 06:48 PM
Daycare.com Member

You're in TX? Could be chiggers, even in October.
Old 10-13-2016, 06:10 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycare View Post
what if it isnt???
My husband said they are flea bites also. Dcm said this morning that dcb has been sleeping with their cat and the cat does have fleas so she is going to treat it today. I just wanted to know how to handle it if it was because I wanted to have a plan this morning.
Old 10-13-2016, 06:25 AM

Quote:
My husband said they are flea bites also. Dcm said this morning that dcb has been sleeping with their cat and the cat does have fleas so she is going to treat it today. I just wanted to know how to handle it if it was because I wanted to have a plan this morning.
So is the child at your house????

I would close and clean my entire house!

(I found this info on a website for bug control)

"A major area of concern is very young children. Children spend a large amount of time on the floor and seem to have the desire to put everything in their mouth.

Since fleas can carry tapeworm parasites, if a child manages to swallow one, there is a high chance that they could develop an infection and will need to be treated with the necessary medication. It can sometimes wreak havoc on a young digestive system."

to the bolded above! ^^
Old 10-13-2016, 06:27 AM

Several other threads about fleas

https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=fleas
Old 10-13-2016, 06:31 AM
Daycare.com Member

Flea bites can be serious depending on where the fleas came from , they can cause illness , infection and diseases ( such as cat scratch fever , typhus and even plague ).

I had a dcg years ago who would get flea bites ( badly ) every time she went to the grandparents home . It got so bad I had to tell the parents I could not accept her into care with the severity of the bites . The grandparents refused to treat their home so I had to tell them I would have to file a report of neglect if they continued to let the dcg be in those conditions . She did get sick from the bites and ended up with infections from scratching the bites .
Old 10-13-2016, 06:34 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
I would be P!SSED! Mom knows they have fleas, kid is covered in bites, yet she still brings him and blames mosquitoes? She has potentially infected your house and the homes of all your other kids. I would be very upset with her.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:20 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff View Post
I would be P!SSED! Mom knows they have fleas, kid is covered in bites, yet she still brings him and blames mosquitoes? She has potentially infected your house and the homes of all your other kids. I would be very upset with her.
Me too! Disrespectful to you and HER CHILD.
OMG, I can't imagine how uncomfortable that must be for the child.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:25 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff View Post
I am because yesterday when she picked him up I told her that they are not mosquito bites and she asked me what they were and I told her I am not sure but she needs to have them checked out. Then this morning she brings him and drop him off and doesn't think it is a big deal that he has been sleeping with the cat that must have fleas and she will check it out when she gets home. I just sent dcb home because now that I have read what you guys have posted I realize how serious this situation is.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:19 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
So is the child at your house????

I would close and clean my entire house!

(I found this info on a website for bug control)

"A major area of concern is very young children. Children spend a large amount of time on the floor and seem to have the desire to put everything in their mouth.

Since fleas can carry tapeworm parasites, if a child manages to swallow one, there is a high chance that they could develop an infection and will need to be treated with the necessary medication. It can sometimes wreak havoc on a young digestive system."

to the bolded above! ^^
I just sent him home after reading your message. I was trying to ask this yesterday about fleas because I was not going to accept him today but I wasn't sure how bad they are. I did a search on the forum but a lot of original,posters had pets and I don't have pets and I thought the problem may not be that big of a deal. I am sending al kids home until Monday so I can clean and treat my home. Thanks for your help.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:31 AM
Daycare.com Member

YES SO SERIOUS! It can quickly become an infestation. That child would be home, and I would keep sending home for new bites, too.

Disgusting!

Also- food grade diatomaceous earth is an amazing natural (albeit messy) insecticide. I sprinkle it on my area rugs and put it in our fertilizer and it solved our sand flea problem in days.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:25 PM
Daycare.com Member

I also use food grade DE . In all my years of having pets I have had fleas once . Sprinkled the DE on the dogs and would comb it in , it works great . I also put a line of it on my front doorstep in the spring when all the sugar ants like to try and come inside .

If anyone does use DE please be sure to wear a mask as it is unhealthy to breathe it in ( it is very fine and you don't want the dust particles to get into your lungs ) .
Old 10-13-2016, 12:25 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycarediva View Post
YES SO SERIOUS! It can quickly become an infestation. That child would be home, and I would keep sending home for new bites, too.

Disgusting!

Also- food grade diatomaceous earth is an amazing natural (albeit messy) insecticide. I sprinkle it on my area rugs and put it in our fertilizer and it solved our sand flea problem in days.
I use it too. Awesome stuff.
It's great for inside or outside and works fast.
Old 10-14-2016, 04:58 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
How would you handle this? Dcb is 3 yo and was here yesterday and was totally fine with little or no bug bites at all. He showed up this morning covered in red dots and bug bites. His mom said a mosquito must have gotten in his room last night and gave me benadryl cream. Once she left and I finished serving breakfast I looked a dcb and he does have a few large mosquito bites on his face and arms but he also has some red dots and other red areas on his skin that are definitely not mosquito bites (on his face, back and arms). He has on jeans and this afternoon he pulled his pant leg up to scratch and his legs are covered with red bites of some sort. He has no fever and has not been scratching at all this morning or really until I saw him just now. What should I do with this child? ( my mind freaks out and thinks chicken pox or hand foot and mouth but it could be something minor). Thoughts?
My first thought is flea bites. We have a small dog and a ton of squirrels in our neighbourhood. If we are even a few days late in giving the dog his monthly flea treatment then I start waking up with itchy red bumps (smaller than mosquito bites and slightly less itchy). Does the family have dogs or cats?
Old 10-16-2016, 03:07 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiedoeszip View Post
My first thought is flea bites. We have a small dog and a ton of squirrels in our neighbourhood. If we are even a few days late in giving the dog his monthly flea treatment then I start waking up with itchy red bumps (smaller than mosquito bites and slightly less itchy). Does the family have dogs or cats?
Yes they have a cat that is usually outside all day and comes in and sleeps with dcb at night.

Tags
bed bugs, bug bites, fleas