Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>What's Your Plan?
DaycareMama 06:22 PM 02-16-2011
I know there are a ton of threads on here about curriculums but im hoping for a little more info please.

I have used a bunch of pre boxed sets and I get very bored. I wing it with the kids most of the time (what they're into at the moment) but can someone please tell me what the standard weekly themes are for EACH month? I want to continue to plan my own day but still follow structure.

For example I know Feb is dental health month but what week do you do it?? When is Dr Suess's Birthday?? Fire Safety?? OH AND do these things get celebrated the same week every year??

I would really appreciate if someone could break it down for me. I feel so silly and almost embarassed not knowing and I have spent hours searching the web trying to figure it out.

I really admire you ladies and men who have been doing this for many years. I really do learn from you all. Thanks
DCMomOf3 06:50 PM 02-16-2011
Basically i do themes I like or want to do or go with the season. There are some that are tied to certain dates (like the ones you mentioned) that I do the same week every year.

I have gotten ideas from this site before.
http://www.everythingpreschool.com/themes/index.htm

This one lists a lot of the holidays you can celebrate but some are missing, like Dr. Suess's birthday, which is March 2nd..

http://www.everythingpreschool.com/themes/index.htm
or this one. http://www.perpetualpreschool.com/ho...es/holiday.htm
Crystal 07:06 PM 02-16-2011
This little comment from your post:

(what they're into at the moment)

Is what it is all about. It's intentional teaching. It's emergent curriculum. Build on it and quit trying all the expensive, hard-to-follow-because-the-kids-have-no-interest, boxed curriculum products. Go with what you "feel" with your group, provide the environment in which they can engage in enriching, real-life, hands-on experiences, based on what they are currently INTERESTED IN and your CHILDREN, and your ENVIRONMENT, are your curriculum. You can build your "curriculum" for free.
Abigail 07:36 PM 02-16-2011
I'm so glad you asked this because I want to create my own and have a set of monthly themes and just add to it each year and choose the best activities for the group. I know creating these sure does take time, but when it's done-it's done!
MNmamaOf4 08:20 PM 02-16-2011
Originally Posted by DaycareMama:
I know there are a ton of threads on here about curriculums but im hoping for a little more info please.

I have used a bunch of pre boxed sets and I get very bored. I wing it with the kids most of the time (what they're into at the moment) but can someone please tell me what the standard weekly themes are for EACH month? I want to continue to plan my own day but still follow structure.

For example I know Feb is dental health month but what week do you do it?? When is Dr Suess's Birthday?? Fire Safety?? OH AND do these things get celebrated the same week every year??

I would really appreciate if someone could break it down for me. I feel so silly and almost embarassed not knowing and I have spent hours searching the web trying to figure it out.

I really admire you ladies and men who have been doing this for many years. I really do learn from you all. Thanks

Fire Safety is in October, I think the first week.
melskids 02:03 AM 02-17-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:

Is what it is all about. It's intentional teaching. It's emergent curriculum. Build on it and quit trying all the expensive, hard-to-follow-because-the-kids-have-no-interest, boxed curriculum products. Go with what you "feel" with your group, provide the environment in which they can engage in enriching, real-life, hands-on experiences, based on what they are currently INTERESTED IN and your CHILDREN, and your ENVIRONMENT, are your curriculum. You can build your "curriculum" for free.
where's the like button?!?!?!?!?

crystal, you turned me on to this back in the summer (remember my post about the toads? LOL) and i have been hooked ever since. i have completely changed my entire program, and how i look at curriculum. i can never go back!!!

currently, i do use the creative curriculum for structure, how to set up my space, and planning (a place to write my thoughts out). i use alot of montessori type activites, and try to follow the reggio approach the best i can. (i have read every book on reggio emilia i could find, i love it!) i take what i like from all of them and "smoosh" it all together.

but as far as themes, i totally follow the kids lead. for example, they have been hooked on trains the whole month of february. sure, i put out some valentine's stuff, for them to use if they wanted to , but we will continue to study trains until they are no longer interested.

i have cut my planning time in half, and they are learning twice as much.
momofthree 03:40 AM 02-17-2011
I am doing Dental theme next week and I make my own stuff up. I gear everything towards the kids interest
Crystal 05:20 AM 02-17-2011
Originally Posted by melskids:
where's the like button?!?!?!?!?

crystal, you turned me on to this back in the summer (remember my post about the toads? LOL) and i have been hooked ever since. i have completely changed my entire program, and how i look at curriculum. i can never go back!!!

currently, i do use the creative curriculum for structure, how to set up my space, and planning (a place to write my thoughts out). i use alot of montessori type activites, and try to follow the reggio approach the best i can. (i have read every book on reggio emilia i could find, i love it!) i take what i like from all of them and "smoosh" it all together.

but as far as themes, i totally follow the kids lead. for example, they have been hooked on trains the whole month of february. sure, i put out some valentine's stuff, for them to use if they wanted to , but we will continue to study trains until they are no longer interested.

i have cut my planning time in half, and they are learning twice as much.
SWEET! I am so glad that it has worked for you! It sure makes your job a lot easier and much more enjoyable, huh?
kendallina 09:37 AM 02-17-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:

Yes, this exactly!

One thing I have been doing is writing down all the activities that I do when the children are interested in something. So that next time they're interested in it I can go back to that and do that 'theme'. I find that I need to do it that way to stay organized. Also, I plan things around the holidays and seasons as well.
Tags:curriculum, fire safety
Reply Up