Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Consider
Unregistered 10:10 AM 10-08-2014
Fart a bad word? I have a dcm who thinks its a terrible word. I think it's ok there are worse things a child could say. What we your opinions of the word fart?
midaycare 10:14 AM 10-08-2014
I use toot but whatever. My ds switched to fart this year. So long as it is not obnoxious while saying it.
midaycare 10:15 AM 10-08-2014
DS and I may be weird, but we always put on a British accent and say, "I tooted (or farted) in your general direction."
hope 10:22 AM 10-08-2014
I use the word toot also but my ds will say fart and thinks it's the funniest thing. He's a boy and boys like to talk about farts and burps and smelly things. we are working on it. Don't think it's the worst thing in the world but I do correct my ds when he says it.
Annalee 10:23 AM 10-08-2014
I don't allow the word to be floating around at daycare...I do hear it occasionally, but tell the kids it is not an appropriate word to use....maybe I am just being silly, but there are much better things for children to be talking about!
midaycare 10:33 AM 10-08-2014
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I don't allow the word to be floating around at daycare...I do hear it occasionally, but tell the kids it is not an appropriate word to use....maybe I am just being silly, but there are much better things for children to be talking about!
True! Know your audience. No reason why the 5 and under crowd should be walking around saying it.
Play Care 10:36 AM 10-08-2014
While I think they are worse things that can be said, I just don't care for the word. I used to work in a preschool and one of the TA's would tell the parents things like "Junior farted a lot today!" if the child had been gassy. It just sounded so ignorant and trashy

We say "gas" or "toot" if we have to label it at all. I only ask for an "excuse me" if needed. Not necessary to say why (either passing gas or burping) If a child was gassy I would say that.
Annalee 10:37 AM 10-08-2014
Originally Posted by midaycare:
True! Know your audience. No reason why the 5 and under crowd should be walking around saying it.
Too many adults/parents don't realize how bad something sounds until you hear a child say it or how bad a song's words are until a child sings it.....I was watching Law & Order the other night which I LOVE, but it didn't appear so good when my 11 year old sat down to watch it with me....too much foul language along with gory scenes....just got me to really thinking!
midaycare 10:54 AM 10-08-2014
Too many adults/parents don't realize how bad something sounds until you hear a child say it or how bad a song's words are until a child sings it.....I was watching Law & Order the other night which I LOVE, but it didn't appear so good when my 11 year old sat down to watch it with me....too much foul language along with gory scenes....just got me to really thinking!
Yes!!! My DS got out of bed for the 11th time a few nights ago and I hit pause on the DVR. We talked for a few minutes, and the TV went back to regular programming. It was a Criminal Intent: Special Victims Unit, and it showed a girl all banged up. It was on mute, but DS says to me, "Why would you want to watch that?" I wasn't, but I can see why he was concerned.
Josiegirl 10:57 AM 10-08-2014
Right now I have all girls. Whenever the word fart comes up, and it does(!) I tell them, 'we're ladies, we don't fart, we fluff'. They just all start giggling and get distracted.
Annalee 11:01 AM 10-08-2014
Yes!!! My DS got out of bed for the 11th time a few nights ago and I hit pause on the DVR. We talked for a few minutes, and the TV went back to regular programming. It was a Criminal Intent: Special Victims Unit, and it showed a girl all banged up. It was on mute, but DS says to me, "Why would you want to watch that?" I wasn't, but I can see why he was concerned.
SVU is my favorite....but I like all the Law & Orders. It takes me about 15 minutes into the show to know who is guilty....
NeedaVaca 11:10 AM 10-08-2014
Exactly! I don't watch any of my tv shows until the kids go to bed. If they get up I hit pause. The ONE time I didn't hit pause I was watching Project Runway and my 11 DD got up for water, I figured it was fine until...Nina (a judge) said an outfit looked like a foaming vagina! WHAT?? I about died...
SSWonders 11:11 AM 10-08-2014
I don't know that there is inherently anything wrong with the word, it just sounds so crass.
KiddieCahoots 11:13 AM 10-08-2014
Hey! I just used the word fart in another post.
Haha..I know...I know...this isn't all about me

When the kids use the word fart, I just repeat what they said using the word toot in place in a nonchalant way. Then they usually repeat the sentence using toot instead.
It sounds cuter with the little's using the word toot.

Midaycare, my girls and I like to have accent days, where we talk that way for most of the day. It usually gets all jumbled into different accents though.
Harry Potter is the culprit for most of it ...
Annalee 11:18 AM 10-08-2014
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
Exactly! I don't watch any of my tv shows until the kids go to bed. If they get up I hit pause. The ONE time I didn't hit pause I was watching Project Runway and my 11 DD got up for water, I figured it was fine until...Nina (a judge) said an outfit looked like a foaming vagina! WHAT?? I about died...
We were watching Family Feud last night and the question was where you would not like to be hit within an inch of...a person answered "crotch" and my son said "what is a crotch, mom"...
Sugar Magnolia 11:55 AM 10-08-2014
DS and I may be weird, but we always put on a British accent and say, "I tooted (or farted) in your general direction."

Hilarious!
Sugar Magnolia 11:58 AM 10-08-2014
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Right now I have all girls. Whenever the word fart comes up, and it does(!) I tell them, 'we're ladies, we don't fart, we fluff'. They just all start giggling and get distracted.
Fluff!
Guess I'm immature, but I think this thread is hilarious.
CraftyMom 12:06 PM 10-08-2014
I don't care for the word fart, it just doesn't sound cute coming from a cute little 2 year old girl (or boy). I correct them "we use the word toot, not fart" sometimes they catch themselves and say toot instead

The parents all say it at home so it's a losing battle
Jack Sprat 12:08 PM 10-08-2014
We say gas..."Oh, I gassed. Excuse me." Fart doesn't bother me really. We just have always said gassed.
Soccermom 12:16 PM 10-08-2014
All my DCKs burst into uncontrollable laughter whenever anyone says the word fart. I think it's funny LOL

As long as they don't keep saying it over and over again, I will just laugh along with them and sometimes I will pretend to fall over from the smell.

They love it and it is innocent fun.

I don't think it is a terrible word. I often say it myself when I get a whiff of something nasty. "Hey you stinkers...who farted?" and then the giggling starts.

Sugar Magnolia 12:13 PM 10-09-2014
Just had to add this !
Dcg 3 is saying she smells poop, no poop to be found. She says "someone farted". Remembering this thread, I said in my British accent. "Perhaps someone has fluffed in your general direction." Omg, she was rolling on the floor laughing. My husband spit his coffee out of his nose.
midaycare 12:45 PM 10-09-2014
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
Just had to add this !
Dcg 3 is saying she smells poop, no poop to be found. She says "someone farted". Remembering this thread, I said in my British accent. "Perhaps someone has fluffed in your general direction." Omg, she was rolling on the floor laughing. My husband spit his coffee out of his nose.
Lol! Love it
AmyKidsCo 01:19 PM 10-09-2014
My DH and I don't get upset about words, because they're just words. We tell our kids that certain words offend some people so they should save those words for when they're alone so they don't bother anyone else.

Personally, some words bug me and "fart" is one of those - I prefer "toot."
Controlled Chaos 01:30 PM 10-09-2014
I have a no potty talk rule. Any words related to using the restroom, private parts, tooting etc only belong in the bathroom. They can say them all they want in the bathroom
Reply Up