Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Is a Fair Amount to Charge to Hold a Spot?
Crazy8 11:40 AM 07-06-2016
If you are enrolling someone now/soon for September care do you charge anything other than your ordinary deposit?

I am thinking their regular deposit (which is credited to their last week of care) PLUS an additional non-refundable fee but I'm stumped on how much to charge. How much is a fair amount that would discourage them from pulling out but not too much that will make them just "take their chances" that the spot will still be there later. Finding kids here is difficult, so I'd like the committment early on!
Annalee 11:47 AM 07-06-2016
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
If you are enrolling someone now/soon for September care do you charge anything other than your ordinary deposit?

I am thinking their regular deposit (which is credited to their last week of care) PLUS an additional non-refundable fee but I'm stumped on how much to charge. How much is a fair amount that would discourage them from pulling out but not too much that will make them just "take their chances" that the spot will still be there later. Finding kids here is difficult, so I'd like the committment early on!
Is your spot available now or will the spot open up in September? I have one who is not starting their infant until July 18 but they are paying the regular weekly fee until then. I do not hold spots. If my spot was not open, I would charge the first weeks pay as a non refundable fee.... and give them a contracted start date.
Unregistered 11:52 AM 07-06-2016
I have an enrollment fee of $50 (non-refundable) and then I charge one weeks tuition. Most people charge 2 around here. So to leave, they would lose the money they gave me, and have to come up with 2 weeks more.

I don't hold spots anymore.
Leigh 11:54 AM 07-06-2016
It's fair for them to pay for the spot they're using. Is it fair for you to go without pay because they don't WANT to pay for it? After getting burned a time or two, I'm done doing favors. I give the first two weeks that I hold a spot for free (because I want everyone to give notice). After that, they pay first week, last two weeks, and weekly rate to hold the spot. I can't afford to go without my pay for my open spot, and that IS fair.
Crazy8 11:54 AM 07-06-2016
Originally Posted by Annalee:
Is your spot available now or will the spot open up in September? I have one who is not starting their infant until July 18 but they are paying the regular weekly fee until then. I do not hold spots. If my spot was not open, I would charge the first weeks pay as a non refundable fee.... and give them a contracted start date.
I have 2 kids going to preschool in Sept, so the spots open up then and new client is a teacher so doesn't need it until September.
Daycares around here are begging for kids, there isn't a place around here that could get away with charging full price to hold a spot. Wish I could!
AmyKidsCo 01:19 PM 07-06-2016
I don't charge to hold a spot until the spot is available.

In your situation I'd charge the non-refundable enrollment fee and first week's tuition, with last 2 weeks' payment due within the first month of attendance.
thrivingchildcarecom 04:57 PM 07-06-2016
I have a Pre-Enrollment Program that I added years ago. I currently charge a monthly holding fee that is equal to the weekly tuition for the spot. Before I was charging way less, but parents would pull out because they had not committed that much $$ so I changed it. If parents are willing to pay the new fee chances are they will follow through.

Let me know if you would like info on the specifics of the Pre-Enrollment Program. I would love to share. Just PM me with your email address.
DaveA 04:48 AM 07-07-2016
My reserve fee is 1/2 my normal rate. I won't hold a spot over 2 months for new DCFs and I get a contracted start date.
Crazy8 11:23 AM 07-07-2016
Originally Posted by thrivingchildcarecom:
I have a Pre-Enrollment Program that I added years ago. I currently charge a monthly holding fee that is equal to the weekly tuition for the spot. Before I was charging way less, but parents would pull out because they had not committed that much $$ so I changed it. If parents are willing to pay the new fee chances are they will follow through.

Let me know if you would like info on the specifics of the Pre-Enrollment Program. I would love to share. Just PM me with your email address.
This sounds like what I am looking for. I feel like the 1 week deposit isn't enough that they may sign on now but then over the next 2-3 months find something else and pull out - in the mean time I may have turned away a dozen potential clients!
I will pm you! thanks!
Controlled Chaos 12:09 PM 07-07-2016
On a not helpful note -

Whenever I see a post title like this "What would you charge?"

A giant Muppet inside my head yells "ALL THE MONEY!!!"

Every. Single. Time.

Carry on
Tags:holding spot - fee
Reply Up