Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sick with the Flu
Dsquared 06:21 AM 02-12-2020
One of my daycare families 6 month old baby gave me the flu. They sent me a text on Wednesday of last week and told me he had type A flu. Sure enough by Friday I was sick. I went to the doctor and was given tamiflu. On Saturday I was so bad I had to be taken by ambulance to the hospital. Luckily I am feeling better and opened my daycare yesterday. Today was the sick babies first day back. His doctor gave him the ok to come back to daycare. When the mom dropped him off this morning she told me that now her and her husband are sick. After she left I sent her a text asking her if she asked the babies doctor if he can get sick again and she said she just started feeling bad today and she doesn’t think hers is the flu. I’m terrified of getting sick again. My husband ended up getting it and now my 17 year old daughter is sick. How would you providers handle this? Shouldn’t they just keep the baby home? Thanks for any advice.
Sunshine69 08:25 AM 02-12-2020
If the baby’s parents have the same strain of flu as you and the baby, you should be immune. If they have something different, then it’s possible you can catch it.

I’m not sure what your sick policy is. My policy only applies to the daycare children and doesn’t allow me to exclude them if their household members are sick. I think if that were the case, I’d never have any kids in daycare. It seems there’s always someone sick.

I’m glad you are feeling better.

P.S. If I know someone is sick at home, I have the daycare kids wash their hands when they arrive. I’m thinking of just implementing this plan daily.

I’m sorry you family has gotten sick, too. I always feel bad for my kids when they’re sick. They have to listen to the noisy daycare kids all day, while they’re trying to rest. I hope they get better soon.
Ariana 11:52 AM 02-12-2020
The baby can get sick again but only with a different strain of the Flu. Do you get your flu shot every year? That might be a good thing to do.
flying_babyb 08:49 AM 02-15-2020
In our center the parents cant enter the child care area with there child till they hang up there coat and wash there hands. They also dont leave untill the child has washed there hands. Seems to help. If only parents would stop doing the dope and drops!
Dsquared 10:11 PM 02-19-2020
Having parents wash their hands before they enter is a great idea. I usually do handoffs at the door. Parents send me a text when they are close and I have their child ready to go. I have never been this sick in my entire life. It’s been 10 days and now I’m on antibiotics for a sinus infection. The child who gave me the flu is only 5 months old and he still sounds terrible.
Josiegirl 03:04 AM 02-20-2020
Oh No!! I hope you feel better soon! Have you been working all this time? Wish providers could just close up shop when they are ill. It takes a lot to recuperate to begin with but if you're not able to rest and take care of yourself, it takes forever.
Dsquared 04:15 AM 02-20-2020
I was only able to close 2 days out of the 10 days I have been sick. On Tuesday I felt so horrible and opened. 😢 my parents complain they have no backup. I need to send an email telling them all they need to have a backup. I’m not sure what else to do.
Dsquared 05:24 AM 02-20-2020
Originally Posted by Sunshine69:
If the baby’s parents have the same strain of flu as you and the baby, you should be immune. If they have something different, then it’s possible you can catch it.

I’m not sure what your sick policy is. My policy only applies to the daycare children and doesn’t allow me to exclude them if their household members are sick. I think if that were the case, I’d never have any kids in daycare. It seems there’s always someone sick.

I’m glad you are feeling better.

P.S. If I know someone is sick at home, I have the daycare kids wash their hands when they arrive. I’m thinking of just implementing this plan daily.

I’m sorry you family has gotten sick, too. I always feel bad for my kids when they’re sick. They have to listen to the noisy daycare kids all day, while they’re trying to rest. I hope they get better soon.
Thank you so much
Blackcat31 06:35 AM 02-20-2020
I exclude if ANYONE in the household has Influenza.

I wouldn't risk accepting the child as they can get Influenza again (like Ariana said, a different strain) but there are literally hundreds of different ones and if your immunity is down due to having had Influenza recently I imagine you can easily get sick again.

I hope you and your family feel better soon!
Tags:contagious, flu
Reply Up