Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Summer Necessities: Sunscreen and Bugspray
Abigail 07:30 PM 06-10-2011
Do you have a favorite brand?
I know they're all up there in price and really don't go on clearance at the end of the season so cost doesn't matter as much as a good preference.

Spray on/Lotion preference?

Do you always get a "baby" type for all the kids or just babies?

AND
Do you always put on bug spray each time you go outside even if you don't anticipate bugs?

Finally, have you ever heard that sunscreen takes thirty minutes before it works? I thought I read that/heard that somewhere...I just googled it. http://bananaboat.com/sun/suncaretips.aspx

This is also neat, another site gives you the UV lookup and gives pictures and tips on how careful you need to be for the day. Try it! Just enter your zip code.
http://coppertone.com/coppertone/sum...-uv-index.jspa
Abigail 09:22 PM 06-11-2011
Anyone? LOL
littlemissmuffet 10:18 PM 06-11-2011
Hmmm. I get parents to supply all bug spray and sunblock - but I gotta say, I prefer the spray types of sunblock to the lotion kinds...
also, I keep individual wrapped Off Skintastic wipes for kids in my diaper bag at all times just in case.
boysx5 03:32 AM 06-12-2011
I make parents bring it its too expensive buying it all the time. I love the spray stuff
Maddy'sMommy 06:21 AM 06-12-2011
One brand I like lately is Badger. http://www.badgerbalm.com

I use the face sticks, they are really great.
Blackcat31 06:38 AM 06-12-2011
This something parents provide due to personal preference by parent about brands etc and possible allegies. ALL sunscreen should be applied 30 minutes prior to sun exposure and then reapplied as needed. This has always been the case and is not new. I have parents apply BEFORE drop off in the morning and I will re-apply throughout day as needed. I also prefer the spray kind (only because it is easier on my hands). As far as brand or SPF, the parents bring whatever they choose to bring.
Meyou 06:45 AM 06-12-2011
I have each parent supply one bottle of sunblock SPF 45 or 60 in a spray bottle or aersol container and it much be waterproof. Then I just use them one at a time and line the kids up lol.

I supply bug spray since we don't need it alot (LUCKY!). I get the OFF skintastics for kids. It doesn't smell yucky and its easy to apply. Plus I had coupons and pd $8 for 4 bottles. haha
Ariana 05:52 PM 06-12-2011
Right now I'm using one called Lavera. It's a physical block which I like because it has fewer chemicals in it. I also use EcoKids bug spray for the same reason.

This is a great resource for rating sunscreens and their safety and effectiveness if you're interested. http://breakingnews.ewg.org/2011sunscreen/
momofboys 06:11 AM 06-13-2011
I really like the Walmart (Equate) brand of Kids SPF 50 spray. It is cheap (@ $5-6/can) It is a clear spray & I like that as opposed to the lotion. However, I DO stock up at the end of the season. Most stores in Sept/Oct will start clearancing them out. Just check the bottles to make sure they will be good for the next summer. Last year we got 4-5 bottles of spray Kroger-brand SPF 45 sunscreen for $1.50/bottle. It did not expire until 2012 so I knew I was good to go.
dEHmom 07:11 AM 06-13-2011
The moms usually bring it in the kids bags when they start, or when the hot weather starts rolling around. I do have in my handbook it is required by each parent. I don't mind if it's lotion or spray. I find the spray can get messy, and you still have to rub it in. I also like the lotion because it's thicker. Makes me feel better thinking it's slathered right on. HAHAHA...

As for bug spray. I rarely ever use it. When we do, I just have a bottle of the skintastic for kids. It's safe from 6 mths up. But I'd honestly say, i've only ever applied it to daycare kids maybe once before if that. I can't remember. I heard something about mixing sunblock and mosquito spray is bad. So if kids are wearing sunblock, then you shouldn't apply it. It might not be true, but I don't know. I think it's that the sunblock absorbs the spray more into the skin???

If it's cool enough out, I have kids wear long breathable clothing vs sunblock and mosquito repellent.
Michelle 07:31 AM 06-13-2011
for older kids its better to have the spray on because they are usually wearing their bathing suits and with the way the world is nowadays you just want to make sure there is no chance of false accusations.
I always use the lotion for the face and spray for the rest.
Country Kids 07:42 AM 06-13-2011
Our state requires parents to supplie, have it labeled with childs name, and then we have to store it up, away from children locked up. With Sunblock, bug spray we have to treat it the same as medicine-harmful to children. Also a permission slip to use it.
MG&Lsmom 08:01 AM 06-13-2011
Originally Posted by Maddy'sMommy:
One brand I like lately is Badger. http://www.badgerbalm.com

I use the face sticks, they are really great.
I use Badger too. I like their Sun & Bug combo and usually use it on the kids legs and arms. Faces get the stick or regular sun lotion.
Unregistered 08:33 AM 06-13-2011
I have parents supply it. I do not use the spray kind and request only the lotion because I apply it in my house and I don't like that residue on my floors etc.
jojosmommy 11:06 AM 06-13-2011
I bought the generic baby spf 50 brand from walmart. Last yr I had parents supply but it was more of a pain to keep track of which bottle belongs to who. I have tried the spray on kind but don't like the lack of coverage you get unless you soak the kids (which can't be healthy) and then you have to rub it in anyway. We don't have bugs out here in the daytime so I never use bugspray on the kids.
Abigail 08:42 PM 06-13-2011
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Our state requires parents to supplie, have it labeled with childs name, and then we have to store it up, away from children locked up. With Sunblock, bug spray we have to treat it the same as medicine-harmful to children. Also a permission slip to use it.
What state are you in?
momma2girls 07:12 AM 06-14-2011
I changed my summer routine about 4 yrs. ago, and now always have parents apply it before coming to daycare. It works out great!!!
Tags:bug spray, lotion, outside play, sunscreen, water play
Reply Up