Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>Activity Suggestions
MissJulz 05:03 AM 04-01-2010
I had a dream when I opened my daycare a month ago that I would do all sorts of cool crafts. I have a 9 month old that is too young for any of them, a 14 month old who shows no interest and my own 19 month old who becomes dissinterested because no one else is doing the projects with her. I'm now having to let the 9 month old go due to excessive crying and i'm getting another 19 month old. Are there any curriculums, books, websites out there that are geered towards the younger then preschool aged children? I'd love to have more exciting things to do in a more structured environment. Maybe i'm wanting too much for my age group?
mac60 05:13 AM 04-01-2010
I think that is young to expect them to do crafts and such, unless you want to do all the work for them. I normally don't start the dc kids on these types of things till they hit close to age 3, otherwise I "am doing it all"
momofboys 05:27 AM 04-01-2010
Originally Posted by mac60:
I think that is young to expect them to do crafts and such, unless you want to do all the work for them. I normally don't start the dc kids on these types of things till they hit close to age 3, otherwise I "am doing it all"
I agree with Mac60. Kids that young are a bit too young for crafts. I do have my little guys do coloring/playdoh while my older ones do crafts but my "little guys" are 2.
momma2girls 05:38 AM 04-01-2010
Originally Posted by mac60:
I am the same here!!! You are doing everyhing, and they are not getting the concept of it at all anyways!!
I did so special things for all the toddlers and babies for Xmas and Mother's and Father's day though. I made picture frames and ornaments with their pics in them for their parents. This is the extent of it though.
melskids 06:35 AM 04-01-2010
i usually start at 18 months letting them play with playdough and painting. i give them all sorts of tools to use, like q-tips, feathers, sponges, etc. you still have to watch some closely, cause they may put it in their mouths. they color alot, and LOVE chalk. stickers are fun too. we also do alot of "stained glass" art, which is just tissue paper squares in between contact paper, then i cut out a shape to match our theme. they like sandpaper rubbings too. for example, i cut shamrocks out of sandpaper, and you put a piece or thin paper over top and rud it with the side of a crayon.

i agree, though, that it is a young age to expect them to do "crafts". they just don't get it. i am more into free art than "cookie cutter" type crafts anyway, although my school agers love the craft kits, and it keeps them busy!!

i used to work in a center and they made us have the infants paint. i was like "come on?!" a 2 month old has no clue that your holding him over a piece of paper trying to smudge his little hands in paint or let alone, get him to hold a paintbrush. lol
Tags:crafts, curriculum
Reply Up