Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Along The Organizing Lines....
Countrygal 09:52 AM 01-21-2012
I'm seeing a lot of good ideas for organizing, and I'm inhaling them. My circumstance is a little different, however, and I'm wondering if others in my position can give me ideas for re-organizing. That's my Spring project, so I'm in the idea stage now. Everything needs to change. The only thing(s) I have that are good are a toy bin set of shelves and lots of crates and large drawers for organizing.

My house, however, is my house. I have no separate room at all to use as a daycare. I can't do it in one small room because we have floor area per child requirements. So my whole main area of my home (open concept - 2 living rooms, dining room, kitchen) is my daycare. I have removed all the furniture I possibly can to my bedrooms (small brs), but my space is still crowded. I have tried to be creative (using a table as a playhouse/craft area, and my couch as reading nook area, but it still seems crowded to me. One thing it DOES do, though. The kids don't haul out all kinds of toys. They haul out one or two from where they are stored to the "other" living room which is more open and has more play area. I've even questioned them as to why and they say "there's more room!" So in some ways this helps keep the mess down significantly!

But the ideas for storage, etc are badly needed here - I really need very inexpensive ideas on how to go "up" with storage without it being dangerous, and even ideas on the shelving - how can you keep it cheap but still look nice for someone who has it in the living room???

I am not very creative, but I can copy just about any idea thrown at me!

I started another thread just because I didn't want to hijack someone else's.
Thanks guys, you are GREAT!!
Meeko 04:07 PM 01-21-2012
If your couch has a skirt, raise the couch a few inches with screw on casters. Then buy "under the bed" containers and keep toys in them.

The couch can also be easily moved to make more space.

Use pretty baskets for toys and supplies on the shelves. (Maybe with lids)You won't be able to see in them after day care hours.

You can actually go to the ceiling with shelving units as long as they are fixed securely to the wall and not a climbing or falling hazard.

Cheap end tables can be covered with floor length tablecloths and hide toy boxes/baskets. (Be careful of this one if you have babies that like to pull)

Dining room walls are usually wasted space with just a piece of artwork or something. Lots of shelving with baskets can add valuable storage space.

Store under couches, chairs, tables.

Do you have a entryway closet? Empty it out...put coats in individual bedroom closets or on hooks behind the bedroom doors.. Use the hallway closet for day care storage. Take out the hanging rod and add shelving. Rotated toys can be stored here.

Hallways can be used for floor to ceiling narrow shelving without taking away from walking space.

A friend of mine has a kitchen counter that nobody sits at as they use their dining table. Her husband used the space under the counter to build a shelving unit. Takes up zero floor space as you couldn't walk there anyway.

Google storage in a small space or such....you'll find some really ingenious ideas there!

Good luck!
DaycareMama 05:43 PM 01-21-2012
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
If your couch has a skirt, raise the couch a few inches with screw on casters. Then buy "under the bed" containers and keep toys in them.

Use pretty baskets for toys and supplies on the shelves. (Maybe with lids)You won't be able to see in them after day care hours.

You can actually go to the ceiling with shelving units as long as they are fixed securely to the wall and not a climbing or falling hazard.

Cheap end tables can be covered with floor length tablecloths and hide toy boxes/baskets. (Be careful of this one if you have babies that like to pull)

Dining room walls are usually wasted space with just a piece of artwork or something. Lots of shelving with baskets can add valuable storage space.

Do you have a entryway closet? Empty it out...put coats in individual bedroom closets or on hooks behind the bedroom doors.. Use the hallway closet for day care storage. Take out the hanging rod and add shelving. Rotated toys can be stored here.

Hallways can be used for floor to ceiling narrow shelving without taking away from walking space.

A friend of mine has a kitchen counter that nobody sits at as they use their dining table. Her husband used the space under the counter to build a shelving unit. Takes up zero floor space as you couldn't walk there anyway.

Google storage in a small space or such....you'll find some really ingenious ideas there!

Good luck!
Wow!! These are a ton of really great ideas!!
Countrygal 01:06 PM 01-22-2012
Originally Posted by Meeko60:

Good luck!
Thank you so much! Absolutely LOVE some of these ideas!!!
Tags:organizing, organizing tips, tips
Reply Up