Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Schedule Changes
CountryRoads 06:19 AM 04-12-2019
Dcm goes down to 4 days a week from May to October. She doesn't need Friday care and doesn't drop off on Fridays.

I haven't mentioned it to her or brought it up, but I'm pretty sure she's not expecting to pay for Fridays. I hate confrontation, so I'm not sure how to bring it up.

Would you still require her to pay for Fridays?
Blackcat31 06:26 AM 04-12-2019
How do your rate options work?
Do you offer care on a full time or part time basis based on hours used or do you just have one rate for day/week/month?

I offer care on a 3, 4 or 5 day basis
I bill weekly according to that option they choose

So for me it would depend on how your rate structure works....

Also is this just a temporary or permanent change in schedule for the family?
Jupadia 06:30 AM 04-12-2019
I do. I have one child that comes tue to fri. But pays for entire week. I just let parents know that I dont offer part time care, due to my ratios I'm only have 4 spaces, so a pt kid could make me losse income. As well the chances of finding a kid that comes one day per week that can transition well into the group for that one day are low. As well family's dont leave toghter so if one left you have to look at filling pt space again in a never ending cycle.
I do allow these parents to use the Monday if they let me know.

The other way to do it is say if your rate is 200 per week or 40 per day then raise it to 50 per day to equal out, and dont allow child to come on fridays.

I find its easier to charge normal rate for week, as well it makes sure I dont losse my paid stat holidays, since many stat days occur on Mondays. (Same goes for fridays).

Just write what you chose to do in letter whith a new contract of days for parents to sign.
e.j. 06:33 AM 04-12-2019
If she's wants a guarantee that she can add Fridays back in to the schedule come November thru April, I would expect her to pay to hold the spot. If she's a risk taker and wants to chance that Fridays will be available in November, I wouldn't make her pay. I will only hold a spot open if I'm being paid for it.
CountryRoads 06:33 AM 04-12-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
How do your rate options work?
Do you offer care on a full time or part time basis based on hours used or do you just have one rate for day/week/month?

I offer care on a 3, 4 or 5 day basis
I bill weekly according to that option they choose

So for me it would depend on how your rate structure works....

Also is this just a temporary or permanent change in schedule for the family?
I do a daily rate. They pick what days they need care, and are billed for those days regardless of attendance. So, right now they are paying for 5 days a week, but only need care 4 days a week next month.

This is a temporary change. The place where she works go back to 5 days a week on October.
LittleExplorers 06:49 AM 04-12-2019
Originally Posted by CountryRoads:
I do a daily rate. They pick what days they need care, and are billed for those days regardless of attendance. So, right now they are paying for 5 days a week, but only need care 4 days a week next month.

This is a temporary change. The place where she works go back to 5 days a week on October.

If she wants a guarantee to return to Friday's, she would need to pay for the day now. I have varied rates as well, but they pay for the days they need care, regardless of attendance.
Blackcat31 06:56 AM 04-12-2019

Well in that case I would say this:

"The 4 day rate is $X. This covers care for M-Th. Please note however, that if you wish to retain Fridays for future use regular payment of $x will be required as I do not hold space without compensation. Please let me know by April X, 2019 if you will be relinquishing the Friday space so that I can fill it as needed"

or

"I understand that your scheduling needs dictate 4 days per week from May until October however, payment in full for all 5 days is still required in order to hold the 5th day for use again in October. Thank you!"

Is DCM asking to pay less or are you just trying to stay ahead of if in case she does ask?
LostMyMarbles 07:00 AM 04-12-2019
Originally Posted by LittleExplorers:
If she wants a guarantee to return to Friday's, she would need to pay for the day now. I have varied rates as well, but they pay for the days they need care, regardless of attendance.
I agree with LittleExplorers. If they want to return, they need to pay for the spot so you will not fill it while they are gone.
CountryRoads 07:09 AM 04-12-2019
Well in that case I would say this:

"The 4 day rate is $X. This covers care for M-Th. Please note however, that if you wish to retain Fridays for future use regular payment of $x will be required as I do not hold space without compensation. Please let me know by April X, 2019 if you will be relinquishing the Friday space so that I can fill it as needed"

or

"I understand that your scheduling needs dictate 4 days per week from May until October however, payment in full for all 5 days is still required in order to hold the 5th day for use again in October. Thank you!"

Is DCM asking to pay less or are you just trying to stay ahead of if in case she does ask?
She hasn't said anything. I was going to just continue to bill her for 5 days a week, I'm just worried she is going to say something.

When she filled out my contract (they started in August), they were on 4 days a week. So, she checked M-TH and on Friday wrote "Starting in October."

My contract does state "payment is required for all contracted days regardless of attendance", so she should know that she will still have to pay for Fridays this year, right?

But, since she didn't pay for Fridays in August or September last year, I'm wondering if she thinks she doesn't have to pay for it this year.
Cat Herder 08:59 AM 04-12-2019
But, since she didn't pay for Fridays in August or September last year, I'm wondering if she thinks she doesn't have to pay for it this year.
If she did not have to pay last year, she will expect to not have to this year, either. You will most likely need to have a discussion. Consistency is really important.

My tuition is a flat rate per slot, they can attend all 5 days or none, the rate stays the same. I have a couple of kids who only come 2-3 days a week during the school year and a couple of kids who only come 1 day per week during the summer. I have one family that keeps a slot for their youngest but sends an older sibling from time to time in his place. The rate stays the same, regardless. By the time they turn 3, I expect all to be here all day, every day. Like most others.
Blackcat31 08:59 AM 04-12-2019
She hasn't said anything. I was going to just continue to bill her for 5 days a week, I'm just worried she is going to say something.

When she filled out my contract (they started in August), they were on 4 days a week. So, she checked M-TH and on Friday wrote "Starting in October."

My contract does state "payment is required for all contracted days regardless of attendance", so she should know that she will still have to pay for Fridays this year, right?

Oh okay, I understand now...

I'd do this..... charge her for 5 days as you normally do and don't say anything.

IF she brings it up then say something like:

"You were invoiced for 4 days initially because I wasn't holding a space for you. Once Janie's enrollment changed to 5 days the rate changed and will remain at that rate unless you are forfeiting the 5th day (Friday) permanently. Per my policies all rates are based on enrollment not attendance or time used."

Would that ^^ work?
Ariana 09:09 AM 04-12-2019

This seems a bit unclear if she didn’t pay last year.

I bet she keeps bringing her on Friday
CountryRoads 09:24 AM 04-12-2019
Oh okay, I understand now...

I'd do this..... charge her for 5 days as you normally do and don't say anything.

IF she brings it up then say something like:

"You were invoiced for 4 days initially because I wasn't holding a space for you. Once Janie's enrollment changed to 5 days the rate changed and will remain at that rate unless you are forfeiting the 5th day (Friday) permanently. Per my policies all rates are based on enrollment not attendance or time used."

Would that ^^ work?
Yes, that sound great!

I feel like I may still need to say something to her beforehand. I get paid after care is provided (I know that not very many do this! I live in a tiny town and know all my families. I've never had a problem!), so when I give her the invoice for May, she will see she's paying for Fridays after the month has passed, if that makes sense?
CountryRoads 09:28 AM 04-12-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
If she did not have to pay last year, she will expect to not have to this year, either. You will most likely need to have a discussion. Consistency is really important.

My tuition is a flat rate per slot, they can attend all 5 days or none, the rate stays the same. I have a couple of kids who only come 2-3 days a week during the school year and a couple of kids who only come 1 day per week during the summer. I have one family that keeps a slot for their youngest but sends an older sibling from time to time in his place. The rate stays the same, regardless. By the time they turn 3, I expect all to be here all day, every day. Like most others.
Yeah, I know I should have said something when she filled out the contract but I have a hard time finding my backbone

If she said anything this year about not paying last year, I was just going to bring up my policy that you pay regardless of attendance and I basically held a spot for them on Friday's in August and September for free last year, so they should be thankful lol
Blackcat31 01:27 PM 04-12-2019
Drop her a quick e-mail and explain now since you are post pay. That way if she is paying for 5 days, she can still have the option of using it. If I were her and found out after the fact and was still required to pay 5 days I'd be a bit peeved that I didn't use that 5th day that I paid for....kwim?

"Hi Sally! I just wanted to mention to you so there is no misunderstanding about it later but since you changed Janie's enrollment status to 5 days a week back in October, you've been invoiced for $X each week. That rate covers 5 days of care.
However, even though you aren't going to be needing all 5 days beginning in May, you will still be expected to pay the 5 day rate if you are going to want that 5th day back in the Fall. If you opt to only pay for 4 days (M-Th) I'll have to fill that space and it wont be available for you come October. Please let me know!"

Another option is to just say you have re-vamped your rate structures since the new year and now all families pay for 5 days a week regardless of absences so you just wanted her to be aware of this change since her schedule needs are different for the months of May-October and last year she wasn't required to pay that 5 day rate (but is now).

Maybe just letting her know you had an across the board change in rates is easier....you didn't mention it to her because she was already paying 5 days at the beginning of 2019 but you wanted to make sure she knows now as May is approaching.

I don't know...it depends on how you think she'll take it. Is she the type to argue with you or will she just go with the flow? I have both types of parents so what ever changes I make and how I tell parents depends on what type of client they are. lol!
AmyKidsCo 01:38 PM 04-12-2019
ITA that if she wants to keep that space she should pay for it.

Personally, my rate structure is 2 or 3 day part time, or full time. One parent asked why 4 days was considered full time instead of part time and I replied that 4 days was 40 hours.
springv 02:01 PM 04-14-2019
We offer full time care regardless of parent schedule and they all pay even if we are closed for a holiday or bad weather
Tags:schedule change, schedule changes
Reply Up