Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ground Beef....
MissAnn 04:57 AM 09-15-2017
Do any of you NOT serve ground beef or red meat? I have a child come in with a doctors note about what to and not to serve this child because she is overweight. It's a good thing I already do all the suggestions on the list......not sure how this would go over in a daycare that doesn't serve as healthy of meals. I don't have to adhere to these suggestions....I would only if it were a medical disability or I guess take her off FP and let parents supply food. I did want to say to the dad......have you not ever read my menus? I really don't need to make changes except for ground beef which I was thinking of doing away with anyway. I just don't know if a parent would complain that I don't serve red meat. Of course, they can give them that at home if they feel necessary. So I will have 2 different kinds of beans days, 2 chicken days and 1 egg day each week.
Oh, the doctor wants her to have no milk....just water with meals but I already double checked with FP and that is a no go.
daycare 04:59 AM 09-15-2017
I've never served red meat in my daycare in the history of being open.
MissAnn 05:25 AM 09-15-2017
Originally Posted by daycare:
I've never served red meat in my daycare in the history of being open.
Good! I'll do the same for now on!
Claraskids 05:37 AM 09-15-2017
Due to my own extreme food allergies and sensitivities, all meals are based around chicken, turkey, eggs, or vegetarian only. Absolutely no red meat, pork, or fish! Never been an issue.
laundrymom 05:52 AM 09-15-2017
I serve all types of foods including red meats, fish, pork, etc. but I also have an active program with hours of vigorous gross motor play each day so I would not adhere to this request. I do not serve processed foods or "empty calories" which I believe is a huge factor in child nutrition issues. Coupled with my active program we actually see healthier bodies once children are enrolled in care for several months.
We all know The answer to obesity is not "cut out chocolate milk and ground beef"
The answer is
"Lifestyle change."
Increased activity, real foods, less screen times, involved parental attention, and letting kids PLAY and explore are the real answers to the hard questions.
But it's not easy. Easy is "no red meat at daycare and blame school lunches for obesity.
No one blames the drive through meals 8 times a week w parents and fruit snacks and bug juice on the weekends. ((Sorry. I'm bitter I know. Lol))
LysesKids 06:30 AM 09-15-2017
Originally Posted by Claraskids:
Due to my own extreme food allergies and sensitivities, all meals are based around chicken, turkey, eggs, or vegetarian only. Absolutely no red meat, pork, or fish! Never been an issue.
See, I don't do red meat either, but I do fish, eggs and on occasion chicken. Once in a great blue moon we do lamb, but only if it coincides with a country of the week. Like a Lamb Tagine for Morocco. Never pork - mainly because of religious issues with some people in care ( plus I just don't like it); yes I know... a southern girl who doesn't eat bacon or sausage lol
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 06:34 AM 09-15-2017
Just replace your ground beef days/recipes with ground turkey.

I think menus are just like the handbook, parents don't really pay attention to what they are reading until there's an issue. No one will probably even notice the lack of red meat.
Blackcat31 06:41 AM 09-15-2017
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I serve all types of foods including red meats, fish, pork, etc. but I also have an active program with hours of vigorous gross motor play each day so I would not adhere to this request. I do not serve processed foods or "empty calories" which I believe is a huge factor in child nutrition issues. Coupled with my active program we actually see healthier bodies once children are enrolled in care for several months.
We all know The answer to obesity is not "cut out chocolate milk and ground beef"
The answer is
"Lifestyle change."
Increased activity, real foods, less screen times, involved parental attention, and letting kids PLAY and explore are the real answers to the hard questions.
But it's not easy. Easy is "no red meat at daycare and blame school lunches for obesity.
No one blames the drive through meals 8 times a week w parents and fruit snacks and bug juice on the weekends. ((Sorry. I'm bitter I know. Lol))

what she said ^^
mommyneedsadayoff 06:53 AM 09-15-2017
The answer is
"Lifestyle change."
I agree!! I serve tables at night and you don't know how many times I roll my eyes at Parents!
"Mom I want sprite!"
"No honey. It has too much sugar and is not healthy. He will have a chocolate milk and the kids mac n cheese with French fries."
(Yes, this was actually said to me!)
laundrymom 07:03 AM 09-15-2017
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
I agree!! I serve tables at night and you don't know how many times I roll my eyes at Parents!
"Mom I want sprite!"
"No honey. It has too much sugar and is not healthy. He will have a chocolate milk and the kids mac n cheese with French fries."
Bwahahahaha.
Yep. But it's the meals they have at childcare which are ruining their development. Lol.
midaycare 07:08 AM 09-15-2017
I'm not of the belief that red meat or fatty meats cause obesity. I believe processed foods, corn and it's derivatives and sugar cause them.

I serve a variety of foods, not any are processed. If a dcf showed up with a note, I would first ask them to record everything they fed their child at home.
Blackcat31 07:21 AM 09-15-2017
"Mom I want sprite!"
I have a similar conversation with my sister.
She says her kids have a super healthy breakfast every morning before school. When I asked her what they ate she said "Yogurt, cereal and toast"

Yogurt = Trix flavored yogurt or a Go-gurt tube style yogurt
Cereal = Fruity or Cocoa Pebbles
Toast = white bread with tons of grape jelly

I don't lecture or advise her.... like most parents she wouldn't listen anyways.
Leigh 07:21 AM 09-15-2017
The answer is
"Lifestyle change."
You're very right. What bugs me is that the doctor wants to cut out milk when data shows that kids who drink full fat milk weigh LESS than kids who drink none or drink skim. Those fats are essential to children for vitamin absorption, and they help them feel full (and can help prevent grazing).

Also, I'd push the parent to take the child to an endocrinologist if the weight is an extreme issue. I kept putting on weight, and could only lose if I went on a diet of 800 calories or less per day. No amount of exercise would help. I went to several doctors who tried to give me appetite suppressants (after I already told them that I was eating healthy, and eating less than a "normal" person does, anyway). I finally got a CT scan and an MRI and we found the cause: golf ball sized tumors on both adrenal glands. The tumors secrete excess hormones, and that has an effect on many aspects of my life, including weight. A pediatrician is not going to be able to truly help with a real weight issue-I'd always leave that to Endocrine doctors.
Blackcat31 07:27 AM 09-15-2017
Originally Posted by midaycare:
I'm not of the belief that red meat or fatty meats cause obesity. I believe processed foods, corn and it's derivatives and sugar cause them.
I agree.

We don't eat it daily but 1-2x a week we sure do!

My DH and I have both lost a lot of weight in this last year and we have steak night every Sunday.

DH got a pellet grill/smoker for Father's Day... I don't think I could give up red meat.

Mmmm!
Attached: IMG_6208 (640x427).jpg (140.8 KB) 
laundrymom 07:31 AM 09-15-2017
That picture was not fair at 10:30 AM as I am getting ready to fix the kids their lunch
that was literally cruel to me knowing that I can't even get to the store to get a steak until I get off work at 5:30 tonight. Lol
Go to time out black cat
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I agree.

My DH and I have both lost a lot of weight in this last year and we have steak night every Sunday.

DH got a pellet grill/smoker for Father's Day... I don't think I could give up red meat.

Mmmm!

mommyneedsadayoff 07:41 AM 09-15-2017
I agree.

Mmmm!
I work at a steakhouse...red meat is an integral part of my diet.. I usually eat steak and eggs for breakfast, so definitely not a shortage of protein here!
Blackcat31 07:58 AM 09-15-2017
That picture was not fair at 10:30 AM as I am getting ready to fix the kids their lunch
that was literally cruel to me knowing that I can't even get to the store to get a steak until I get off work at 5:30 tonight. Lol
Go to time out black cat

Baby Beluga 08:01 AM 09-15-2017
The answer is
"Lifestyle change."

Although I don't serve ground meat because I simply am not a big fan of red meat. I will occasionally make pot roast, but that's about it as far as red meat goes.

What about ground turkey? That's what I use in place of ground meat.
Baby Beluga 08:03 AM 09-15-2017
I work at a steakhouse...red meat is an integral part of my diet.. I usually eat steak and eggs for breakfast, so definitely not a shortage of protein here!
My MIL is law loves steaks. One year DH and I took her to a steakhouse for her birthday. It was my first time in a steakhouse. I swear I could smell blood. It took everything in me not to throw up

I love her dearly but I will never do that again. Ever.
storybookending 08:12 AM 09-15-2017
I live in Wisconsin. Yes I serve ground beef. I think parents around here would be surprised if I didn't. Hamburgers pop up in the menu about once a month and we have all beef sausages regularly.

As far as that steak picture.. steak is a luxury for myself. I wouldn't waste the good meats on daycare kids, although I'm sure they would gobble it right up!
midaycare 08:18 AM 09-15-2017
Bwah ha ha!
MissAnn 08:54 AM 09-15-2017
The answer is
"Lifestyle change."
All of this was on the note.....and most of it I already did, so it's not really a case of adhering to the request. The not did not specify "no red meat" but I've had parents question that I didn't serve red meat often. The note did specify Lean Meats.
This note does bother me although I already do all the things it requests. I am thinking what IF I was a daycare who served chicken nuggets and hot dogs? I could not change my whole menu for 1 kid! At that point I might have to say.....this just not be a good fit for your child. OR.....maybe you should supply your own meals. I am not sure if this note was given to me because the doctor who doesn't know me or my program said....bring it to her daycare! I can assure him.....This girl is not overweight because of daycare. We eat all fresh fruits and veggies and homemade meals. We rarely have anything sugary. We play hard outside. It's just easy to blame daycare.
MissAnn 08:55 AM 09-15-2017
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
See, I don't do red meat either, but I do fish, eggs and on occasion chicken. Once in a great blue moon we do lamb, but only if it coincides with a country of the week. Like a Lamb Tagine for Morocco. Never pork - mainly because of religious issues with some people in care ( plus I just don't like it); yes I know... a southern girl who doesn't eat bacon or sausage lol
What kind of fish? I am so very fish ignorant!
MissAnn 08:56 AM 09-15-2017
"Mom I want sprite!"
yes....this note said to limit sodas so 4-6 ounces a day! I'm thinking....how about not serving them at all!
MissAnn 08:58 AM 09-15-2017

I serve a variety of foods, not any are processed. If a dcf showed up with a note, I would first ask them to record everything they fed their child at home.
I'm thinking the doctor told him to give it to me. I guess they think all daycares serve junk.
Blackcat31 09:01 AM 09-15-2017
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
I'm thinking the doctor told him to give it to me. I guess they think all daycares serve junk.
I'm thinking the Dr gave it to the PARENTS and they just passed it off to you as if her weight and eating habits are on you.

I'd hand the note back and tell them that you have it covered.
You understand healthy eating and that 75% of a child's eating habits and nutritional needs are based on HOME LIFE.

I don't think the note was for you at all.
daycarediva 09:08 AM 09-15-2017
The answer is
"Lifestyle change."
"Mom I want sprite!"
THIS!

and whole milk, not skim is proven to have a healthy affect on weight.

I eat all full fat dairy. Just IN proper portion sizes. Little/no sugar. Remember low fat diets as trending? zero carb? etc. Eat a moderate diet, exercise, and you should be fine.

for a child though, this is SO sad to me. I have one who is borderline obese in care right now. Her mom is morbidly obese. She eats everything in front of her equally, but I feed her in portion sizes for grains and fruit, and allow unlimited veggies. She literally fills up on veggies and drinks a TON of water. At home? carb snacks and juice-sugar and empty calories. When grandma discussed it with me, I told her what I did. She said that felt like punishment. WHAT!? I sat there dumbfounded and said "Wow, I didn't know a healthy diet, with organic fresh veggies, water, and outside activity was punishment. Sounds like a regular day here."

MOM, however, is on board.

This parent would get my menu with suggestions/corrections on the doctor form at the bottom- NO soda, NO juice, NO empty carb calories (crackers, cookies, chips, goldfish, cereals), LOTS of water, LOTS of fresh veggies and fruit, and LOTS of outside play. Barring a medical issue- it WILL resolve if they're consistent.
MissAnn 09:19 AM 09-15-2017
My husband and I are trying to eat less red meat. He's had cancer and his doctor told him to not eat red meat. My chiropractor said we should both limit red meat. It doesn't matter to me if anyone feels this same way or differently.....but we are eating less meat in general and more fruits and veggies, no milk and more water. Just like we all have different ideas about nutrition or follow different diets or nutritionists.....so do the pediatricians and parents. We can't please everyone.....so I just follow the food program regs and make my meals as nutritious as I can. I don't have to follow this doctor's note because the change in diet isn't due to a medical disability.
sahm1225 09:25 AM 09-15-2017
I'm thinking the Dr gave it to the PARENTS and they just passed it off to you as if her weight and eating habits are on you.

You understand healthy eating and that 75% of a child's eating habits and nutritional needs are based on HOME LIFE.

This. My dd is underweight. I've seen specialist after specialist to help her. They gave me handouts and went out of their way to explain that healthy eating begins AT HOME.
MissAnn 09:34 AM 09-15-2017

He was hesitant handing it to me. There is a definite language barrier between us....He first language is Spanish. He looked embarrassed and said....we need to change how we eat too....pointing to his belly. I didn't think until later....I'm not sure if I was supposed to keep the note. It seemed to pertain more to him than me. We aren't even allowed to serve sodas or skip meals....which is all on the note.
LysesKids 10:00 AM 09-15-2017
What kind of fish? I am so very fish ignorant!
FRESH, never canned
My kids loved herb crusted baked cod & Hawaiian sauced Tilapia... Not so much Tilapia & we only do fish once a week. I did discover most of older ones will eat smoked Salmon too lol. They think it's cool to put it on crackers with cream cheese. I never do Tuna because I got food poisoning from a can years ago and can just imagine what it would do to a child ( I landed in the Hospital)
LysesKids 10:05 AM 09-15-2017
yes....this note said to limit sodas so 4-6 ounces a day! I'm thinking....how about not serving them at all!
THIS 10 fold lol
Baby Beluga 10:19 AM 09-15-2017
He was hesitant handing it to me. There is a definite language barrier between us....He first language is Spanish. He looked embarrassed and said....we need to change how we eat too....pointing to his belly. I didn't think until later....I'm not sure if I was supposed to keep the note. It seemed to pertain more to him than me. We aren't even allowed to serve sodas or skip meals....which is all on the note.
The ped suggested skipping meals?
daycarediva 10:23 AM 09-15-2017
My husband and I are trying to eat less red meat. He's had cancer and his doctor told him to not eat red meat. My chiropractor said we should both limit red meat. It doesn't matter to me if anyone feels this same way or differently.....but we are eating less meat in general and more fruits and veggies, no milk and more water. Just like we all have different ideas about nutrition or follow different diets or nutritionists.....so do the pediatricians and parents. We can't please everyone.....so I just follow the food program regs and make my meals as nutritious as I can. I don't have to follow this doctor's note because the change in diet isn't due to a medical disability.
yep, we try to avoid saturated fats as much as possible. WHEN we eat red meat it's grass fed, hormone/antibiotic free, organic.

milk is just....ew.
MissAnn 10:32 AM 09-15-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
yep, we try to avoid saturated fats as much as possible. WHEN we eat red meat it's grass fed, hormone/antibiotic free, organic.

milk is just....ew.
Wish. Could afford to buy that for the daycare......but forget it! I'd cry when throwing away what they don't eat. They love black beans and refried (little coconut oil) beans here.....thank goodness!
MissAnn 10:33 AM 09-15-2017
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
The ped suggested skipping meals?
No....I just added that because it's a non issue. We can't do that so why tell a daycare to not skip meals.
daycarediva 10:34 AM 09-15-2017
Wish. Could afford to buy that for the daycare......but forget it! I'd cry when throwing away what they don't eat. They love black beans and refried (little coconut oil) beans here.....thank goodness!
hahaha I meant for US. DAYCARE? NO WAY!

We eat mainly vegetarian meals. They're healthier, the kids eat more, and they're less expensive.

Lots of beans here, too! Aldi has organic beans for .79/can! I don't even bother prepping my own anymore. Can't beat a healthy protein for 6 for under $2.
MissAnn 10:34 AM 09-15-2017
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
FRESH, never canned
My kids loved herb crusted baked cod & Hawaiian sauced Tilapia... Not so much Tilapia & we only do fish once a week. I did discover most of older ones will eat smoked Salmon too lol. They think it's cool to put it on crackers with cream cheese. I never do Tuna because I got food poisoning from a can years ago and can just imagine what it would do to a child ( I landed in the Hospital)
Sounds pricey.....is it?
Ariana 10:35 AM 09-15-2017
Overweight child and red meat is the culprit? Is she hiding packs of steak under her bed and munching on them all night long. I wouldn't be changing a thing. I am pretty sure the culprit is fast food and too many sweets, not enough healthy fats like every other overweight kid on the planet.

Most ridiculous thing I have read in a loooooong time!
MissAnn 11:02 AM 09-15-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Overweight child and red meat is the culprit? Is she hiding packs of steak under her bed and munching on them all night long. I wouldn't be changing a thing. I am pretty sure the culprit is fast food and too many sweets, not enough healthy fats like every other overweight kid on the planet.

Most ridiculous thing I have read in a loooooong time!
Lean meats was just thing mentioned. It actually had a lot of good ideas.....good ideas I have been using for years.
hwichlaz 11:50 AM 09-15-2017
It's usually too expensive. But honestly...there's no reason not to serve it to her unless you were buying the high fat version. When I do serve it, it's 93% lean. Mostly I use ground turkey.
Ariana 02:08 PM 09-15-2017
Lean meats was just thing mentioned. It actually had a lot of good ideas.....good ideas I have been using for years.
Yes I get that but I just know that meats are not this kids issue! I am sure the problem is not fatty meats (does that make sense?) I think the real problem is sugar and fast food.
LysesKids 03:50 PM 09-15-2017
Sounds pricey.....is it?
Not if you buy it in bulk on sale lol... freezers are good for that. Only 3 of mine eat out of the 4 anyway because the littlest is way to tiny for solids. You don't need more than 1-2 oz per kid anyway when served with veg, fruit & rice for my age group
MissAnn 04:06 PM 09-15-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Yes I get that but I just know that meats are not this kids issue! I am sure the problem is not fatty meats (does that make sense?) I think the real problem is sugar and fast food.
Definitely. Sugar and fast food for sure.
ColorfulSunburst 08:00 AM 09-17-2017
I provide beef.
It contains vitamins B2, B5, B6, B12, iron, potassium ...
why should I take it away from kids menu?
They need it.
All, literally ALL food can be healthy or unhealthy. If you eat only beef but no other kind of meet, it is unhealthy. If you eat only carrot but no other vegetable and fruits it is unhealthy.
a healthy diet is a balanced diet and the ability to eat junk food in small quantities from time to time.
I can eat french fried 2-3 time in a year as well as a cup of soda. It doesn't destroy my body. It is healthy. If I eat it and drink soda every day it will be very unhealthy and will destroy me.
CityGarden 09:09 AM 09-17-2017

This is exactly what I thought as well.

When my dd was first diagnosed with a peanut allergy I just gave a copy of the instructions from the pediatrician directly to the preschool director the following day.... I was in shock and not well informed enough at that point to know how to advocate, or how to inform her preschool - I was lucky that they were already peanut free, which was a fact I have never even paid attention to prior to the diagnosis.

I would return the info back to the parents noting you read it over and your program is in line with all items listed with the exception of X milk. I would share that X% of child nutrition takes place at home so while you can support their efforts your program alone cannot improve the child's health. You can discuss what milk options you feel okay about (i.e. can they fill out a form for the food program for a different milk and if so would you or they provide that milk.) My dd was able to have soy milk provided instead of cow milk due to a food intolerance when she was in preschool but we already had medical records noting that upon enrollment and I did have to sign some sort of form for the food program.
CityGarden 09:22 AM 09-17-2017
I only serve AM & PM snack and both are vegetarian.

Children bring their lunches from home and I do not concern myself with what is in them unless it is going to cause a sugar rush.

My program is also water only, I do not serve juice or milk and parents do not pack them in their children's lunch. I did have one family with a boy who was underweight want to bring milk but they realized he could go 12 hours a week w/o it here (he only attends three 1/2 days per week, 4 hours each day)
ColorfulSunburst 09:59 AM 09-17-2017
Sounds pricey.....is it?
it is not pricey.
I provide tilapia and salmon. Usual I make fishcakes. Kids like it. I provide it one time every other week.
hwichlaz 02:49 PM 09-18-2017
My burger recipe for kids, when I get a good price for it...

1lb lean ground beef, two eggs, I could rolled oats, season salt.

Mix it and form into 6 equal patties.

This gives each child 2 and 2/3 ounce of ground beef so it's creditable.
hwichlaz 02:53 PM 09-18-2017
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
My burger recipe for kids, when I get a good price for it...

1lb lean ground beef, two eggs, I could rolled oats, season salt.

Mix it and form into 6 equal patties.

This gives each child 2 and 2/3 ounce of ground beef so it's credible.
I just served this today and they don't even eat half of it so I think I'm going to make it into 8 portions. It's still 2oz of meat/protein per burger.
Tags:ground beef, red meat
Reply Up