Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You "Wear' DC Infant's?
Provider_Manda 06:59 AM 12-28-2012
Ok so my family just returned from maternity leave last week...baby is 5 wks old this week...and sometimes he just wants to be cuddled

I have seen those wraps you can wear to hold the baby..and I was wondering if this would be a good/bad idea? I don't want to spoil him, but there are sometimes I have to get stuff done and he is screaming his little head off. Any input? I would love to hear your thoughts and ideas
Angelsj 07:32 AM 12-28-2012
It is impossible to "spoil" a young infant. Yes, I wear them, and have been doing so for over 20 years. My own, and daycare infants. It would be a wonderful way to care for the baby.
BTW, the best one is this one. So worth the money, and very versatile.
MarinaVanessa 08:14 AM 12-28-2012
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
It is impossible to "spoil" a young infant. Yes, I wear them, and have been doing so for over 20 years. My own, and daycare infants. It would be a wonderful way to care for the baby.
BTW, the best one is this one. So worth the money, and very versatile.
I agree. I don't think that there's any way that you can spoil an infant. And I mean, who wouldn't you want to hold and cuddle the little cutie .
Blackcat31 08:20 AM 12-28-2012
Nope. I don't wear anyone's baby.

I am NOT saying I disagree with anyone who does or the reasons why they do it. I just don't do it.
EchoMom 08:44 AM 12-28-2012
I wore my own DS alot. I wore small babies under 6 months just for a walk in a Moby when I had 3 non walkers. I would push two in double stroller and wear the smallest in the Moby and have the 2s walk.

Now I have someone who works with me so no, I would never wear a DC baby anymore. It's not worth the strain it puts on my back, and really they should have that closeness with their mommy for the hormonal benefit. I'm not their mommy and that's very intimate.

But my own future next babies I will for sure wear again.
KEG123 08:46 AM 12-28-2012
I haven't needed to, but I would for sure. <3
nothingwithoutjoy 09:53 AM 12-28-2012
YES! I wore all the babies (in my favorite, a kangaroo korner fleece pouch) and can't imagine doing it any other way. Happy babies, free hands, close bond.
cheerfuldom 10:34 AM 12-28-2012
I absolutely wear my own babies (bio kids) and occasionally will with one of my daycare infants. I like a ring sling for an infant because they are so easy to use. We use Ergos for kids like 6 months and up.
daycarediva 11:16 AM 12-28-2012
I wore all of my bio kids and my dcbabies (when I took them)

I hated the moby! ACK! wrap wrap wrap, maybe because I'm short, it felt like I was wearing a kimono. LOL!

I had a dcm buy one of these for use at my house. When dcg outgrew it, I purchased it from dcm to leave here because I loved it soooo much. Now it is in the baby doll section and that same dcg wears her 'babies' in it. So.stinking.cute.

http://www.thepeanutshell.com/Products/Baby-Slings
MamaG 11:28 AM 12-28-2012
I wear infants! You can't spoil an infant. IMO. Be sure not to use a ring sling. There were some deaths associated with those. Is child a premature birth? Get a dr.s note saying its safe to use a carrier. Be very very diligent about babies face not being covered and his head has to be supported!! If his head falls forward he can suffocate! Use the backpack type with baby in front so you can monitor head position (baby facing you). Or use a mobi wrap. Usually it's safer to wait till they are older, not sure at 5 weeks old its be a good idea.
akpayne 11:37 AM 12-28-2012
yup! i wore my own ds until he was walking and i love wearing dck as well. at that young age, they need to feel skin-to-skin contact and imo that is the best way and still allows hands free to help other children.
Blackcat31 11:43 AM 12-28-2012
For those of you who do wear babies, here are a couple of fantastic and VERY informative links about how to properly and safely wear babies.

http://babywearinginternational.org/...lingSafety.php

"WASHINGTON, D.C.- The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is advising parents and caregivers to be cautious when using infant slings for babies younger than four months of age. In researching incident reports from the past 20 years, CPSC identified and is investigating at least 14 deaths associated with sling-style infant carriers, including three in 2009. Twelve of the deaths involved babies younger than four months of age"

http://cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml10/10165.html
Meeko 11:47 AM 12-28-2012
No baby wearing.

Arthritic neck, shoulders, and hips. I have a hard time carrying myself around!
youretooloud 11:47 AM 12-28-2012
Yep.. I wear them all the time. It's SO much easier than carrying them...and they don't cry. I have infants who almost never cry. I am a big fan of babywearing.

Avoid "crotch hangers" (baby bjorn) and the purse style slings. (I think the purse style was recalled anyway..but, I'm not sure)
cheerfuldom 11:49 AM 12-28-2012
Originally Posted by MamaG:
I wear infants! You can't spoil an infant. IMO. Be sure not to use a ring sling. There were some deaths associated with those. Is child a premature birth? Get a dr.s note saying its safe to use a carrier. Be very very diligent about babies face not being covered and his head has to be supported!! If his head falls forward he can suffocate! Use the backpack type with baby in front so you can monitor head position (baby facing you). Or use a mobi wrap. Usually it's safer to wait till they are older, not sure at 5 weeks old its be a good idea.
what are you talking about regarding ring slings and infant deaths? I am guessing that these were due to improper use of the carriers? I love ring slings and believe them to be safe for infant use, when used properly.
youretooloud 11:52 AM 12-28-2012
Originally Posted by MamaG:
Ring slings are safe, and awesome if you do it right. The infant should be chest to chest. His/her feet either inside, or outside the sling, his chest against your chest, tighten the sling against you. The tail should be adjustable...not one solid tail. Over the Shoulder baby holder is not really that adjustable, and too padded, but an adjustable ring sling is good.

http://pinterest.com/pin/17803360998604949/ <---like this.

Pouch style is good for facing out, froggy style, but not for a sleeping infant.
cheerfuldom 11:52 AM 12-28-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
For those of you who do wear babies, here are a couple of fantastic and VERY informative links about how to properly and safely wear babies.

http://babywearinginternational.org/...lingSafety.php

"WASHINGTON, D.C.- The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is advising parents and caregivers to be cautious when using infant slings for babies younger than four months of age. In researching incident reports from the past 20 years, CPSC identified and is investigating at least 14 deaths associated with sling-style infant carriers, including three in 2009. Twelve of the deaths involved babies younger than four months of age"

http://cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml10/10165.html
thanks for posting that! this is the information that I was aware of. Slings can be a safe option but you need to be careful to know what type you are using, how to use it correctly and if the baby can be safely worn with it. Like the post said, there are some babies that could be at risk due to already existing issues like preemies. there are other carrier options though, besides a sling
LK5kids 03:06 PM 12-28-2012
Nope! I hold and cuddle and talk to them. But I am not wearing them.
kitykids3 03:56 PM 12-28-2012
I tried it once with a screamer when I first started, but not since. Back then I only had a couple kiddos. I won't do it. 1 - I don't feel it safe for the baby, not sure why. 2- my body can't handle it. 3- I still find that it gets in the way of everything I need to do.
My babies still get plenty of cuddle time and interaction with me, I just can't wear them. If it was my own and not doing daycare, then maybe I would. I'd hate to hurt someone else's baby.
renodeb 09:24 PM 12-30-2012
I would have to agree with black cat. I dont wear babies but I do give them lots of love and attention.
Deb
CozyHome 09:36 PM 12-30-2012
Wow, 5 weeks old? That's scary. The youngest child I ever had in care was 4 1/2 months old and I put her in a swing a lot. I even let her sleep there if she drifted off there for naptime because it made me feel more secure than laying her down in the playpen.

No, I don't wear the babies because I have 4 others to care for and that would impede my days. Our limit is 5 children in Ontario. But I would keep the baby safe in a contained space away from the others.
Angelsj 08:02 AM 12-31-2012
Originally Posted by CozyHome:
Wow, 5 weeks old? That's scary. The youngest child I ever had in care was 4 1/2 months old and I put her in a swing a lot. I even let her sleep there if she drifted off there for naptime because it made me feel more secure than laying her down in the playpen.

No, I don't wear the babies because I have 4 others to care for and that would impede my days. Our limit is 5 children in Ontario. But I would keep the baby safe in a contained space away from the others.
Interesting. Here, we can put them in a swing, but we can't let them sleep in the swing. Sigh.
Angelsj 08:04 AM 12-31-2012
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I hated the moby! ACK! wrap wrap wrap, maybe because I'm short, it felt like I was wearing a kimono. LOL!
http://www.thepeanutshell.com/Products/Baby-Slings
LOL, I love the moby, but I hear you. Forever wrapping.
Reply Up