View Poll Results: Do I make a report
Report both scenarios 4 44.44%
Report scenario 1 only 0 0%
Report scenario 2 only 0 0%
Neither scenario should be reported 5 55.56%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Mandated Reporter
Livin4grace 10:34 AM 10-12-2016
Hi all, I'm a newbie with a very pressing question. I'm hoping for advice.

I recognize that we are mandated reporters of suspected child abuse or neglect, but as a provider where do you draw the line on what you report and what you just chalk up to not great choices by the parents?

I currently have two scenarios that are driving me crazy trying to decide what to do:

Scenario 1: child is 9 mos old and she and all her belongings constantly smell overwhelmingly skunk-ish. My teenage son has informed me this is "pot". I have talked the parents and asked them to wash the child's belongings and they have but the child still comes with this overwhelming odor each day. Other than the smell the child appears very well loved and cared for. She never appears "drugged" or anything of that sort.

Scenario 2: parent has two children in my care under two years of age. She definitely has her hands full and frequently allows her children to control her for lack of a better explanation. In the last couple months she has brought her infant daughter with dangerous items such as paperwork and pearl necklaces in her carseat. Her toddler son has also arrived to care on a handful of occasions hugging blankets that stink of urine which she freely admits he peed on (he is aprox 22 mos and not yet potty training but she allows him to sleep completely naked so he pees frequently). Her answer to why he has the blankets or she has dangerous items is: "they cry if i take them away". I have reminded her on several occasions that she is the parent but these situations continue to occur. The toddler also arrived with a series of cuts on his bottom because he was allowed to sit on a razor in the tub while his older sibling (approx 12 y/0) bathed him, apparently without his mother's knowledge.

I want to know these children are in safe and healthy environments. And obviously I'm not looking to destroy families. Are these situations reportable or just irritating? Where do you as a provider draw the line?
Blackcat31 10:45 AM 10-12-2016
Originally Posted by Livin4grace:
Hi all, I'm a newbie with a very pressing question. I'm hoping for advice.

I recognize that we are mandated reporters of suspected child abuse or neglect, but as a provider where do you draw the line on what you report and what you just chalk up to not great choices by the parents?

I currently have two scenarios that are driving me crazy trying to decide what to do:

Scenario 1: child is 9 mos old and she and all her belongings constantly smell overwhelmingly skunk-ish. My teenage son has informed me this is "pot". I have talked the parents and asked them to wash the child's belongings and they have but the child still comes with this overwhelming odor each day. Other than the smell the child appears very well loved and cared for. She never appears "drugged" or anything of that sort.

Scenario 2: parent has two children in my care under two years of age. She definitely has her hands full and frequently allows her children to control her for lack of a better explanation. In the last couple months she has brought her infant daughter with dangerous items such as paperwork and pearl necklaces in her carseat. Her toddler son has also arrived to care on a handful of occasions hugging blankets that stink of urine which she freely admits he peed on (he is aprox 22 mos and not yet potty training but she allows him to sleep completely naked so he pees frequently). Her answer to why he has the blankets or she has dangerous items is: "they cry if i take them away". I have reminded her on several occasions that she is the parent but these situations continue to occur. The toddler also arrived with a series of cuts on his bottom because he was allowed to sit on a razor in the tub while his older sibling (approx 12 y/0) bathed him, apparently without his mother's knowledge.

I want to know these children are in safe and healthy environments. And obviously I'm not looking to destroy families. Are these situations reportable or just irritating? Where do you as a provider draw the line?
Sounds like a majority of the issues are just bad parenting.

I consider reporting when someone's (usually the adult or caregiver) actions or lack of actions impede the health and welfare or another.

If what the parent or caregiver is doing could actually cause death or serious injury, I'd report. If it's just bad parenting choices, I'd try to give resources for education.
Blackcat31 10:49 AM 10-12-2016
I didn't choose an option on the poll because my choice would have been "only you know what's right and wrong in this situation"

We know only what you have stated and what one person considers a healthy environment is different than what another fees is healthy and/or appropriate.

In some states marijuana is legal and simply smelling it doesn't mean anyone was using in front of the children etc..

Too many variables to know if you should report or not.
nanglgrl 10:51 AM 10-12-2016
In our state we're told that when in question report it. It's not your job to decided what is/isn't abuse, it's the states job. If you call something in that isn't abuse they won't investigate.

That said, these wouldn't meet the criteria for abuse in Iowa soni wouldn't report.
Mike 12:16 PM 10-12-2016
Like you, it would be a tough choice for me, but if I have a tough choice, I'd prefer to call and explain, then let them decide if it should be investigated. If they don't think it's abuse, they won't investigate. If I think the parent may be willing to work on changing, I would make suggestions.
Leigh 12:23 PM 10-12-2016
I don't think either situation would constitute abuse or neglect in the eyes of CPS. If there is more to either story, then you might need to report. I understand that the parents here are probably not providing the best care, but the standard of care required of a parent by law is extremely low.

One guide suggests reporting when there is demonstrated harm to the child or a substantial risk of physical or sexual injury to the child.

Neglect occurs when a person responsible for the child deprives or fails to provide the child with adequate food, clothing, shelter, or needed medical treatment. Neglect is also alleged when an adult provides inadequate supervision of a child. This can occur when children are left either unsupervised or in the care of someone unable to supervise due to his/her condition. ANCRA also includes the following when defining neglected child; “a child “who is subjected to an environment which is injurious insofar as (i) the child’s environment creates a likelihood of harm to the child’s
health, physical well-being, or welfare and (ii) the likely harm to the child is the result of a blatant disregard of parent or caretaker responsibilities.” Children can suffer injuries that are the result of “blatant disregard” and are considered neglect. According to DCFS, “Blatant disregard” means an incident where the real, significant, and imminent risk of harm would be so obvious to a
reasonable parent or caretaker that it is unlikely that a reasonable parent or caretaker would have exposed the child to the danger without exercising precautionary measures to protect the child from harm.
daycare 01:42 PM 10-12-2016
I also didn't answer.

i was always taught that it is not up to us to decide if it is abuse or not.

if we suspect that the child's welfare is at risk, we have to report it.
Livin4grace 03:18 PM 10-12-2016
thanks for the guidelines this is super helpful
Reply Up