Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>STINK of Marijuana
WBee 09:45 AM 02-08-2018
I'm looking for advice regarding a child in my care who comes in stinking of marijuana everyday. When Dad drops off and picks up Dad reeks of it as well. I can't stand the smell of it. At first only dad smelled of it and now as time continues the child and his belongings have been smelling of it really bad. Would you send out a notice to all parents telling them it's not permitted or would you approach the family directly? I also had a grandparent (different family)pick up last week who smelled of it while I had a DHS person here checking in on a state aid child. I do not want the liability of these situations nor do I want the smell in my home.
amberrose3dg 09:48 AM 02-08-2018
Originally Posted by WBee:
I'm looking for advice regarding a child in my care who comes in stinking of marijuana everyday. When Dad drops off and picks up Dad reeks of it as well. I can't stand the smell of it. At first only dad smelled of it and now as time continues the child and his belongings have been smelling of it really bad. Would you send out a notice to all parents telling them it's not permitted or would you approach the family directly? I also had a grandparent (different family)pick up last week who smelled of it while I had a DHS person here checking in on a state aid child. I do not want the liability of these situations nor do I want the smell in my home.
If it is not legal in your state that would be a huge liability.
Ariana 09:53 AM 02-08-2018
Are you licensed? I would contact my licensing rep to ask for advice.
Mom2Two 10:24 AM 02-08-2018
I hadn't even thought of this situation--not legal here but it could still happen. What can we do about second hand smoke? It's dangerous for the child, but will licensing help?
MomBoss 10:44 AM 02-08-2018
I would talk to the family. Maybe let them know that when dhs was visiting, they noticed the child smelled of marijuana?
Its a weird situation. In my state medical marijuana is legal, and i truly believe it doesnt do people any harm. The only thing that would bother me is the smell in my home but otherwise i wouldnt get cps involved or be mad the parent is even smoking it. But thats based on my research, personal opinion, and experience seeing how much it helped a family memebr with their pain and medical situation.
Maybe if you say it like i stated above (dhs noticed) , the parent will be embarrassed and make sure the childs clothes arent near any smoke.
WBee 12:19 PM 02-08-2018
I like the DHS idea. It is medically legal here so I can't assume how/why they're using it but like I said, I don't want the liability or the 'stink". I am licensed
Thank you!
hwichlaz 12:40 PM 02-08-2018
It’s legal in RI for medical use. And if they grow their medicine, especially indoors, everything will stink close to harvest time. It’s not detrimental to the child to be exposed to the pollen. I use it topically and frequently smell like it. But it’s under my clothing (shoulders and ankles) so it’s not enough to make the kids smell.

I’m not sure how a parent smelling like it would be a liability to anyone. But I would be concerned if a child’s belongings smelled like it and I was inspected in a state where it’s not legal. In California you can’t get away from it. My entire neighborhood smells like it.
LostMyMarbles 02:05 PM 02-08-2018
I had a parent who was a heavy smoker. I told her that her daughter's belongings needed to be put and sealed in a plastic bag upon arrival, due to her coat smelling of smoke. I explained that when her coat is near other coats, they picked up the odor and parents were complaining. Embarrassment happened. Mom stopped smoking in the car.

You could do the same, only substitute the word smoke for your dubbie, joint , Mary Jane, a fat one, etc. (I had help with these terms from my bff).
Blackcat31 08:09 AM 02-09-2018
In my state medical marijuana is legal but smoking it is not.
Those that use it medicinally use it in alternative methods that do not include smoking it.

If I smelled marijuana on a DCK and suspected the parent was smoking, as a mandated reporter I would HAVE to report.

My personal feelings about it one way or another play no role in state licensing requirements for mandated reporter.

Smoking cigarettes in a vehicle WITH a child is also illegal in my state.
MomBoss 09:46 AM 02-09-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Those that use it medicinally use it in alternative methods that do not include smoking it.

If I smelled marijuana on a DCK and suspected the parent was smoking, as a mandated reporter I would HAVE to report.

My personal feelings about it one way or another play no role in state licensing requirements for mandated reporter.

But would a parent smoking marijuana be abuse or neglect to a child?
Even if they werent smoking inside the car with the child, that smell takes up a whole house and gets into everything. I dont do daycare in my home, but my home is a twin home and we are attached by the garage. The neighbor smokes marijuana in his garage. I can smell it INSIDE my car! Its aweful. Im glad im moving soon.
Blackcat31 09:52 AM 02-09-2018
Originally Posted by MomBoss:
But would a parent smoking marijuana be abuse or neglect to a child?
Even if they werent smoking inside the car with the child, that smell takes up a whole house and gets into everything. I dont do daycare in my home, but my home is a twin home and we are attached by the garage. The neighbor smokes marijuana in his garage. I can smell it INSIDE my car! Its aweful. Im glad im moving soon.
Not my decision to make.

Smoking marijuana is illegal so if a child's reeks like it, I must report. CPS will decide if it's worth investigating or not.
hwichlaz 11:32 AM 02-09-2018
Many medical uses that do not involve smoking, still stink. Including growing. Growers and their kids...stink. It's a very pungent plant when it matures. Topical use reeks more than smoking it too.
Blackcat31 12:27 PM 02-09-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
Many medical uses that do not involve smoking, still stink. Including growing. Growers and their kids...stink. It's a very pungent plant when it matures. Topical use reeks more than smoking it too.
So far with those I've had contact with have not smelled at all. I have a current family who's pre-K (not enrolled here) child uses medical marijuana for a severe form of epilepsy.
The child nor the family has ever even remotely smelled.

I would also think there is a distinctive difference between the actual odor of the plant or topical use and the small of marijuana smoke.

I mean if you sniff a pack of unlit cigarettes, there is a smell or odor too but its a much different odor when it's from actual smoke.
CityGarden 12:39 PM 02-09-2018
I’m not sure how a parent smelling like it would be a liability to anyone. But I would be concerned if a child’s belongings smelled like it and I was inspected in a state where it’s not legal. In California you can’t get away from it. My entire neighborhood smells like it.
I am glad we are not in the same neighborhood

People do it where I am but it seems they do not do it or want to smell of it - especially in front of their children.

If it is legal I would send a note to all families saying you do not want the odor of smoke of any kind (marijuna, vaping or cigarette smoke, etc.) in the area children are in.
hwichlaz 12:53 PM 02-09-2018
So far with those I've had contact with have not smelled at all. I have a current family who's pre-K (not enrolled here) child uses medical marijuana for a severe form of epilepsy.
The child nor the family has ever even remotely smelled.

I would also think there is a distinctive difference between the actual odor of the plant or topical use and the small of marijuana smoke.

I mean if you sniff a pack of unlit cigarettes, there is a smell or odor too but its a much different odor when it's from actual smoke.
When used for epilepsy they use a few drops of oil under the tounge. And the oil doesn’t smell or have THC in it at all.

When used to stimulate appetite or for pain....it usually stinks. Depending on delivery method. When used topically for joint pain....it reeks.
Blackcat31 01:13 PM 02-09-2018
When used for epilepsy they use a few drops of oil under the tounge. And the oil doesn’t smell or have THC in it at all.

When used to stimulate appetite or for pain....it usually stinks. Depending on delivery method. When used topically for joint pain....it reeks.
This little one takes a pill.
The epilepsy is a rare form so maybe the difference ?
I don't know. I just know I've never smelled anything on the child or family.

In MN medical cannabis is provided to patients as a liquid, pill, topical or vaporized delivery method that does not require the use of dried leaves or plant form.
MomBoss 01:24 PM 02-09-2018

In MN medical cannabis is provided to patients as a liquid, pill, topical or vaporized delivery method that does not require the use of dried leaves or plant form.
My aunt vapes for chronic pain. It comes in an oil or wax i think. It doesnt smell as bad as the neighbor, but doesnt have a good smell either. Im sure the parent in question uses a joint if it smells that bad.

OP did you talk to the parent?
hwichlaz 02:04 PM 02-09-2018

Vape doesn’t stink as much as smoke...but topical sure does.
hwichlaz 02:09 PM 02-09-2018
I also have to say....if I as legally using cannibas, and my CCP turned me in for it without ever even asking me about the odor...the lack of trust would send me elsewhere. Trust goes both ways. The OP hasn’t mentioned any other issues with the family that would lead her to believe neglect or abuse might be an issue.
Blackcat31 02:35 PM 02-09-2018
Vape doesn’t stink as much as smoke...but topical sure does.
I did a bit of research (lightly) and found that generally there isn't an odor with high quality brands. It is dependent on the ingredients and the general consensus seems to be that those that use topically like the medicinal benefits but don't like the odor for many reasons and therefore choose options that have ingredients that mask the smell or don't smell at all.

fwiw~ that wasn't scientific research.... just a bunch of googling and reading on a medical marijuana forum board.

I also have to say....if I as legally using cannibas, and my CCP turned me in for it without ever even asking me about the odor...the lack of trust would send me elsewhere. Trust goes both ways. The OP hasn’t mentioned any other issues with the family that would lead her to believe neglect or abuse might be an issue.
I specifically discuss with ALL my families my legal obligations to report anything illegal. This discussion includes an opportunity for the family to share that type of thing with me. Trust goes both ways.

...and to clarify, I did not advise OP to report. I only said that I would IF I suspected the parent was smoking.
Smoking marijuana in my state is illegal. If I suspected medicinal use via legal methods, I wouldn't report.
MomBoss 03:12 PM 02-09-2018
Thats kinda what I was getting at. Reporting because they smoke doesnt seem neccesary. If the child is happy, healthy, has all their needs met, and their are no signs of abuse, then I dont think there is anything you need to report. Burglary is also illegal, but i wouldnt call cps about it...
What parents do in their free time is none of my business, unless it harms the child.
I looked up a mandated reporters responsibilty and this is all it says on substance abuse
"
chronic and severe use of alcohol or a controlled substance by a parent or person responsible for the care of the child that adversely affects the child's basic needs and safety; ...
or prenatal exposure."

If the parent smoking affects the childs basic needs and safety, then yes report!
Otherwise..
Like I said before, approach the parent. Maybe let them know that you are a smoke free zone and the smell of smoke from their child is bothering you and the children. They will probably be so embarrassed they will be more careful.
I agree that your house smelling of smoke could be a liability because DHS may think its you and that would affect your license.
Country Kids 03:25 PM 02-09-2018
Another issue is the parent using then driving with the child in the car? No different than drinking and driving. Since it has become legal in my state the number of DUI's have gone up.

I have never been around it nor know what it smells like. I'm thinking though if it's in the child's clothing, hair, and the parents there probably is a lot of smoking going on around that child. Would it affect the child in anyway being around all the smoke?

Does the smell wash out or is it like cigarette smoke where it stays in your clothes? I'm wondering if a child went to school smelling like this if the teacher would meet with the parents about it? Especially if it started smelling the classroom up?
hwichlaz 03:33 PM 02-09-2018
I did a bit of research (lightly) and found that generally there isn't an odor with high quality brands. It is dependent on the ingredients and the general consensus seems to be that those that use topically like the medicinal benefits but don't like the odor for many reasons and therefore choose options that have ingredients that mask the smell or don't smell at all.

fwiw~ that wasn't scientific research.... just a bunch of googling and reading on a medical marijuana forum board.

I specifically discuss with ALL my families my legal obligations to report anything illegal. This discussion includes an opportunity for the family to share that type of thing with me. Trust goes both ways.

...and to clarify, I did not advise OP to report. I only said that I would IF I suspected the parent was smoking.
Smoking marijuana in my state is illegal. If I suspected medicinal use via legal methods, I wouldn't report.
High quality brands don’t work any better...they just stink less and cost 3 times more. I can’t afford them myself. But it’s the only thing that takes away my joint pain. I usually only stink for my 530am kids, lol. I put them back to bed then go take my shower. I use it at night. But my bedroom smells distinctly of cannibas. And if I’m having a bad spell I occaisonally need to use it during the day as well.
hwichlaz 03:39 PM 02-09-2018
This 2 oz jar of stinky but effective salve is nearly $30.
hwichlaz 03:42 PM 02-09-2018
Stinky $30 salve in 2oz container.
Attached: image.jpg (1.82 MB) 
hwichlaz 03:56 PM 02-09-2018
Ok, I think we got off track on this. So back to the OP.

I think not caring for the smell is reasonable. So you don’t want someone you are giving close personal care to all day to stink. That’s an appropriate thing to bring up with a parent.

What liability do you feel it’s causing you if an adult smells of it? People who smoke it regularly smell like it even when they aren’t smoking. So odor is no indication of intoxication.
BrynleeJean 05:28 PM 02-09-2018
OO yea i wouldn't want my home smelling suspicious. I've had parents come in and smell cigarette smoke on a diaper bag and comment to me. and i don't smoke. so yea that would be an issue. Legally id be required to report it to licensing maybe id talk to my licensor first so it wasn't so formal just things would get real serious real quick.
hwichlaz 05:32 PM 02-09-2018
Originally Posted by BrynleeJean:
OO yea i wouldn't want my home smelling suspicious. I've had parents come in and smell cigarette smoke on a diaper bag and comment to me. and i don't smoke. so yea that would be an issue. Legally id be required to report it to licensing maybe id talk to my licensor first so it wasn't so formal just things would get real serious real quick.
How does anyone know what you personally smell though? Honestly....I can smell cigarette smoke, but I don't even smell poopy diapers anymore unless they are really bad. Thank goodness. Though if the child smells of it, that can make your home smell. But not just someone dropping off smelling like it.
Denali 05:47 PM 02-09-2018
It’s legal in my state. Medical and personal use. I would call licensing to check what you should do.

Personally I think it fine to pertake - as long as you are treating it like booze. To me (because it’s legal here) it’s no different then drinking. If you are smoking a joint (or high by other means) and driving with your child (or without honesty) I’ll be making a phone call.

I know people who have greatly benefited from it. As long as people are being safe and responsible then good for them.
Tigerlilly 06:27 PM 02-11-2018
It's legal here so I wouldn't make a stink about it. Chances are the parent is probably a grower and that is why the smell is so strong. I know too many people that use it and have normal productive lives so unless you see some indication or abuse or neglect there isn't anything to report. You can terminate them for stinking if it is a major issue.
Mike 06:40 PM 02-11-2018
Originally Posted by Tigerlilly:
It's legal here so I wouldn't make a stink about it. Chances are the parent is probably a grower and that is why the smell is so strong. I know too many people that use it and have normal productive lives so unless you see some indication or abuse or neglect there isn't anything to report. You can terminate them for stinking if it is a major issue.
I would have to. I hate the smell and get headaches from it. Legal or not, marijuana will never be around me. A friend even recommended it because I live on pain pills. I said no thanks, the pills work just fine.
MelissaP 07:16 PM 02-11-2018

Nope, it's not illegal in Minnesota to smoke in a car with a child. They tried to pass it but they can't control what your doing in your personal property. You can't smoke with your daycare kids in the car, but that's a whole other situation.

I am not a smoker, I used to be. I hate when people spread around misinformation.

https://smoking.uslegal.com/smoking-...-in-minnesota/

Cat Herder 06:01 AM 02-12-2018
When Dad drops off and picks up Dad reeks of it as well. I can't stand the smell of it.
"DCD, Thanks for meeting with me. I need to make you aware that the smell of pot on your kids clothes, hair and belongings is really becoming a problem for me. I need you to handle it as soon as possible. It cannot continue."

Fyi: I had to do the same for rose scented essential oils recently too. A person can only take so much. The local middle school has an Axe body spray ban, too.
Blackcat31 06:12 AM 02-12-2018
Originally Posted by MelissaP:
Nope, it's not illegal in Minnesota to smoke in a car with a child. They tried to pass it but they can't control what your doing in your personal property. You can't smoke with your daycare kids in the car, but that's a whole other situation.

I am not a smoker, I used to be. I hate when people spread around misinformation.

https://smoking.uslegal.com/smoking-...-in-minnesota/
I don't have minor children and don't transport DCK's and I don't smoke at all so am definitely not up to date on which laws passed and then got rescinded in those departments.... so definitely not spreading misinformation purposely.

Law or not, it's still not a very healthy or appropriate thing to do in my honest opinion.
MomBoss 07:14 AM 02-12-2018

Law or not, it's still not a very healthy or appropriate thing to do in my honest opinion.
It makes me so mad seeing people smoke in the car, windows up even, with their kids! How selfish!
I saw a very pregnant woman smoking a cigerette and wanted to slap it out of her hand. I just cant believe people.
hwichlaz 07:43 AM 02-12-2018
Originally Posted by MomBoss:
It makes me so mad seeing people smoke in the car, windows up even, with their kids! How selfish!
I saw a very pregnant woman smoking a cigerette and wanted to slap it out of her hand. I just cant believe people.
It's almost as bad to smoke in your car or house without your kids. You shouldn't smoke anywhere that it's going to build up if you're kids are going to be using that space. Nicotine on the carseat is not safe or healthy for children.
daycarediva 10:58 AM 02-12-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
"DCD, Thanks for meeting with me. I need to make you aware that the smell of pot on your kids clothes, hair and belongings is really becoming a problem for me. I need you to handle it as soon as possible. It cannot continue."

Fyi: I had to do the same for rose scented essential oils recently too. A person can only take so much. The local middle school has an Axe body spray ban, too.
This is what I would do, too.

LMAO at the Axe ban. Our schools have an essential oil ban. Teachers sending kids home due to odor. I have the same ban. Eucalyptus, peppermint, lemongrass, tea tree, lavendar,etc ALL on the same day (different kids) OH MY. Everyone's clothes got bagged, everyone had a 'ho bath' and parents were told NO MORE that day.
Claraskids 01:12 PM 02-12-2018
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
This is what I would do, too.

LMAO at the Axe ban. Our schools have an essential oil ban. Teachers sending kids home due to odor. I have the same ban. Eucalyptus, peppermint, lemongrass, tea tree, lavendar,etc ALL on the same day (different kids) OH MY. Everyone's clothes got bagged, everyone had a 'ho bath' and parents were told NO MORE that day.
I have a big sign on my front door and it's in my handbook - "No Essential Oils!" Just the scent of it on someone while grocery shopping will set off a migraine. I will absolutely not tolerate it in my home. Ironically I have no problem with MJ. We are hoping that eventually MN will allow migraine sufferers to use it medicinally. The few times I had access to cbd oil or edibles, it kicked my migraine to the curb within 20 minutes. Obviously never done during daycare hours.
MelissaP 11:17 AM 03-22-2018
I don't have minor children and don't transport DCK's and I don't smoke at all so am definitely not up to date on which laws passed and then got rescinded in those departments.... so definitely not spreading misinformation purposely.

Absolutely! Nasty habit and makes everyone sick and smell like @ss. (p.s. I used to smoke, but not around my kids, in my house or my car).

Melissa
daycarediva 11:28 AM 03-22-2018
Originally Posted by Claraskids:
I have a big sign on my front door and it's in my handbook - "No Essential Oils!" Just the scent of it on someone while grocery shopping will set off a migraine. I will absolutely not tolerate it in my home. Ironically I have no problem with MJ. We are hoping that eventually MN will allow migraine sufferers to use it medicinally. The few times I had access to cbd oil or edibles, it kicked my migraine to the curb within 20 minutes. Obviously never done during daycare hours.
YES! I haven't smoked since my I had kiddo #1, but it is literally the ONLY thing that stopped a migraine dead in it's tracks, and I was able to be fully functional. When it's legalized for medical use, I'm on board.

I loathe pharmaceuticals, and have tried everything. The only close second was maxalt, not covered by insurance, combined with oxycodone. NOT a pretty combination for regular use.
Claraskids 03:18 PM 03-22-2018
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
YES! I haven't smoked since my I had kiddo #1, but it is literally the ONLY thing that stopped a migraine dead in it's tracks, and I was able to be fully functional. When it's legalized for medical use, I'm on board.

I loathe pharmaceuticals, and have tried everything. The only close second was maxalt, not covered by insurance, combined with oxycodone. NOT a pretty combination for regular use.
Have you tried straight CBD Hemp oil (No THC)? I've been using it for about six weeks now and my daily migraines are gone! I also had a long-standing prescription for Maxalt and oxy, but the side effects made it impossible to function.
Tags:marijuana, smokers
Reply Up