Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Looking Ahead
Country Kids 09:36 AM 12-26-2012
Next year Christmas Eve/Christmas will fall on Tuesday/Wednesday. Same for New Years Eve/New Years. How many of you will take Monday the 23rd off? I'm toying with the idea because it makes sense to have a good chunk of time off then have two days off/work a day/have two days off work/then work two just to repeat it the following week. I'm going to really look at next years calendar this week and get my days off figured out for next year.
Fruitloops1 09:50 AM 12-26-2012
A Few large centers in my area are all closed from Christmas eve to Jan. 2nd. I am considering doing the same. I wonder what they do when it falls in the middle of the week....
It seems like a great time to focus on the up coming tax season and organizing everything and just relaxing for a whole new year. I know this being my first year I could of really used all the time.

BUT a part of me wonders if I would really use it to be productive or just be a lazy bum
MarinaVanessa 10:17 AM 12-26-2012
I won't be taking Monday off just Tues and Wed for Christmas Eve and Christmas like I normally do. All of my clients work the other days so it would really be a hassle for them if I close. I don't feel I need to close anyway, we don't go far and the holidays are never at my house so I don't have any preparations to do for the holidays.

As for New Year's Eve and New year's ... I'm not sure just yet. I get both days off and if I do take them off I won't be taking off any other added days either. We found out that I'm expecting so this year I won't be going anywhere to celebrate New Year's so we decided just to stay open. Most of my clients don't get either day off and if I was just going to stay home bored I prefer to stay open (I like to stay busy and miss my DC kids when I'm closed ). I might just take New Year's Eve and New year's off next year or who knows ... with a 4mo infant I won't be able to stay up late or celebrate by having drinks so I may stay home again like this year. New Year's Eve isn't really big deal to me however.
momofboys 10:27 AM 12-26-2012
I will likely close Dec 23 - Jan 1st. All my clients are teachers so they will all be off.
e.j. 10:29 AM 12-26-2012
According to my current policies, I will be open the 23rd, close early (at noon) on the 24th and remain closed for vacation until after New Year's Day.
MamaG 10:53 AM 12-26-2012
I don't close for any holidays. My current family is an emt/firefighter couple. They don't always get holidays off and I prefer to provide consistent care all year because stability is important to small children.
BumbleBee 11:39 AM 12-26-2012
I was just writing out my 2013 calendar for parents when I saw your post. Despite having a small Christmas I have felt that the day after is so much more helpful, to me, to have off rather than the day before. Don't know if this will help but this is what I'm doing:

December 25th-29th & January 1st I am closed. So I will be open Monday, Tuesday, closed for Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday (always), Sunday (always), open Monday & Tuesday, closed Wednesday, open Thursday & Friday.

This year I simply closed for Christmas, day after Christmas, & New Years Day. I will tell you I regret doing it that way. As it turns out I will have 1 kid on Thursday 7:15-5:45, 1 kid Friday 6-3 & 2 on Monday. I am soooooo not ready for tomorrow-the house is a mess & I have no motivation to clean it up. All I wanna do is munch on leftovers & take a nap.

If I had to do it over I would've just closed this whole week & Monday/Tuesday next week.

Bottom line is you need to do what is best for you and your family. I didn't go anywhere this Christmas but it's been nice to have my home be my home for longer than 2 days at a time. Not having to mop the floor twice a day, vacuum every night, pick up & sanatize mouthed toys every evening etc etc.
SilverSabre25 12:56 PM 12-26-2012
I have decided that I will close the whole week of Christmas--Dec 23 to Dec 27th. The following week I will only take off New Year's Day. It's gonna be awesome.
Reply Up