Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>To Close or Not to Close
Unregistered 07:17 AM 09-02-2016
I just found out all of my kids will be out on Monday for Labor Day except for one. I told this dck mom the other day i wasn't sure if anyone else would be here on Monday but that I would be open. Since then, everyone has confirmed they will not be coming (my scheduling is out of whack right now, that will be fixed soon) How terrible would I be if I told her no one else will be here so I'm going to close? I'm not that concerned about it because they're leaving soon anyway and if I have a chance to take an extra day off I wouldn't mind! What would you all do in this situation?
Baby Beluga 07:18 AM 09-02-2016
I would close
Melissa67 08:22 AM 09-02-2016
definitely close,it's a holiday, why are you open?
sharlan 08:45 AM 09-02-2016
Close
nanglgrl 09:12 AM 09-02-2016
At this point I would stay open and just ask her if there is any way she could keep him home since you don't have any other children scheduled. If she really does need care Monday this is cutting it close and puts her in a bind. My word is my bond and I don't take into consideration the fact that a client is leaving care soon to determine how I operate. I want clients to leave with a good impression of my program so they can spread the word to possible future clients. Word of mouth is the best advertising.
Rockgirl 09:14 AM 09-02-2016
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:
At this point I would stay open and just ask her if there is any way she could keep him home since you don't have any other children scheduled. If she really does need care Monday this is cutting it close and puts her in a bind. My word is my bond and I don't take into consideration the fact that a client is leaving care soon to determine how I operate. I want clients to leave with a good impression of my program so they can spread the word to possible future clients. Word of mouth is the best advertising.
I agree, since you specifically said you were open. Now, to avoid this in the future, start closing on holidays!
nanglgrl 09:15 AM 09-02-2016
In the future I would add some holidays off. If you decide to do unpaid or paid that's up to you but providers need breaks to decompress and not burn out. The time between January and June is the worst (I'm in Iowa so think cabin fever), I schedule several days off during this time since there are few holidays that fall during this period.
Cat Herder 09:21 AM 09-02-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I told this dck mom that I would be open.
I would do the same thing I'd expect from my clients; I'd keep my word.

I know it is not what you want to hear. I even understand the rationalization. At the end of the day ,that is really what it is; a rationalization for not keeping your word.

Update your contract to include all holidays, paid.
childcaremom 09:28 AM 09-02-2016
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:

I have to agree. I would stay open because I said I would.
Unregistered 09:47 AM 09-02-2016
I think ill just ask her if she can keep her child home and if not I'll stay open for her. The rationalisation is true...i am a littllleee frusterated with everything around them leaving (way it was done, reasons for. Etc) but that's not the whole reason why...I'd really like the day off! Lol i do have holidays in my handbook but memorial day and labor day were just added and havent gone into effect yet. I'll see what happens and keep my fingers crossed!
Play Care 12:10 PM 09-02-2016
For minor federal holidays I used to put up a sign up sheet with a 3 family minimum. This way they would all SEE if I'd be available or not and I wasn't working a holiday for one family.

Though Labor Day is kind of a bigger holiday, most people here have it off.
Claraskids 12:47 PM 09-02-2016
I'm in a similar situation. Didn't even occur to me to take Monday off as I was off all last week. It was my first week's vacation ever!
Anyways, turns out that all my families will be gone except for one. They haven't made a final decision yet. I said I would be open for them, but I would rather not since it is just going to be two kids. Oh well, learned my lesson and will definitely schedule the day off next year.
I'm going to make Monday a very easy going day with just the two and focus on getting my own kids ready for the start of the school year.
Mike 05:45 PM 09-02-2016
I would also suggest stay open, but you can ask if she needs the care that day, but then I think if she does keep her child at home, she might deserve some credit since it is a last minute change.

Myself, not doing daycare yet, but have babysat from 1 to 8 kids at a time and when it's only 1, we always made plans for a fun day. A fun day of course depends on the child's age.
KarenSue 07:07 AM 09-06-2016
I hope you closed. Two years ago I made the mistake not closing and one showed up even though the mom was off. This year I closed and my husband and I flew to Vegas
daycarediva 09:20 AM 09-06-2016
Originally Posted by Play Care:
For minor federal holidays I used to put up a sign up sheet with a 3 family minimum. This way they would all SEE if I'd be available or not and I wasn't working a holiday for one family.

Though Labor Day is kind of a bigger holiday, most people here have it off.
This is what I do around holidays when enrollment will be lower. I also stipulate that a family MUST be working.

I closed yesterday and had one show up! Man was I annoyed. Dcm in pj's, and an hour after their regular drop off time. NO!
Tags:professionalism, provider accountability
Reply Up