Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Term A Toddler with No Notice?
spedmommy4 02:43 PM 08-31-2016
Dcb1 is on his third day. It has been the worst day ever. Mom fudged on his skills a bit. He's not really self-feeding, takes a "bottle to bed," and he's only happy when running back and forth across the house. (If redirected, he screams at the top of his lungs)

Today he slept 30 minutes and woke everyone up. He has spent most of the day crying or screaming. I've called all the contact numbers but no answer, and no return call. Hands down, this is turning in to the longest day of my life. I am not sure I can take another day but I'd feel awful terming mid-week. What would you all do?
KiwiKids 02:58 PM 08-31-2016
I would term. The fact that you can't get in touch with anyone would do it for me.
Blackcat31 02:59 PM 08-31-2016
Originally Posted by spedmommy4:
Dcb1 is on his third day. It has been the worst day ever. Mom fudged on his skills a bit. He's not really self-feeding, takes a "bottle to bed," and he's only happy when running back and forth across the house. (If redirected, he screams at the top of his lungs)

Today he slept 30 minutes and woke everyone up. He has spent most of the day crying or screaming. I've called all the contact numbers but no answer, and no return call. Hands down, this is turning in to the longest day of my life. I am not sure I can take another day but I'd feel awful terming mid-week. What would you all do?

....that is the whole point of a trial period though... you can term at will with no notice.

I fail to see the logic in finishing out the week when you don't want to keep him permanently.

I understand putting mom/dad in a tight spot but like I said, that is the point of a trial period....to see if it;s going to work. They had to have understood that termination DURING the trial period would be a possibility. kwim?

Sometimes when you know, you just know.
KiwiKids 03:00 PM 08-31-2016
I also say that as someone who rarely has parents with an "office job" mine can be hard to track down but they've always returned calls.
Mike 04:00 PM 08-31-2016
Can't contact anyone and no return calls within an hour = termination
Josiegirl 04:06 PM 08-31-2016
Originally Posted by Mike:
Can't contact anyone and no return calls within an hour = termination
Yes this. What if it had been an emergency? You're 3 days in and these are the problems you're having already? Not working out IMO.
spedmommy4 04:26 PM 08-31-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Yes this. What if it had been an emergency? You're 3 days in and these are the problems you're having already? Not working out IMO.
Dcm called back a little over an hour later. She was in a meeting. Sister picked up immediately. I've never been so happy at pick up. I literally wanted to celebrate. I have to call mom in a bit. The thought of two more days of wailing . . .
Mike 06:10 PM 08-31-2016
Originally Posted by spedmommy4:
Dcm called back a little over an hour later. She was in a meeting. Sister picked up immediately. I've never been so happy at pick up. I literally wanted to celebrate. I have to call mom in a bit. The thought of two more days of wailing . . .
What if it was an emergency? What about the other numbers? Does she not have a backup for cases like that? I can understand having a delay in picking up on occasion, but on day 3? I'd be very worried about future problems.

If I had a single mom who just moved to the area and doesn't have anyone else as backup, I might consider it, but otherwise, I'd expect to be able to get someone quickly at any time while the child is in care.
Reply Up