Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>P/T Paid Holidays
Wondering 02:57 PM 11-17-2011
In my contract I charge for a holidays but only if the child is supposed to be in my care. My pt dck comes on Thursdays and Fridays and is angry that they need to pay (Thanksgiving and day after) since I won't be caring for their child. They asked to switch days...

I can't give the example of her boss not paying her on holidays because she is self employed and does not get paid on holidays.

What do all of you do for part timers? Do you charge them on the holidays when they are supposed to be here and charge for the extra days or swap days since they are part time?

Just curious what other people did since the dcm thought it was very unfair.
misspollywog 03:03 PM 11-17-2011
Originally Posted by Wondering:
In my contract I charge for a holidays but only if the child is supposed to be in my care. My pt dck comes on Thursdays and Fridays and is angry that they need to pay (Thanksgiving and day after) since I won't be caring for their child. They asked to switch days...

I can't give the example of her boss not paying her on holidays because she is self employed and does not get paid on holidays.

What do all of you do for part timers? Do you charge them on the holidays when they are supposed to be here and charge for the extra days or swap days since they are part time?

Well... ... I kinda also think it's unfair so no, I don't charge for holidays or days the children aren't in my care. I know many here do, but I just personally feel awkward asking to be paid for services not rendered. Maybe if I ran a large center and had tons of overhead and employees, etc. I'd feel differently, but really, this is my home and I am self employed so I don't feel like I *deserve* paid holidays or vacation days.

At least not yet.
MyAngels 03:04 PM 11-17-2011
I wouldn't worry about giving her any justification - it was in the contract, she signed it, so she needs to abide by it.

I would not switch days unless it is convenient for you, and if you normally charge for extra days attended I would charge for the days she wants to switch.
AnneCordelia 03:09 PM 11-17-2011
Is it in your contract?

In my contract I state that parents pay for statutory holidays when they fall on a date that is regularly scheduled for them.

Can you show her a copy of her contract?
Crazy8 03:35 PM 11-17-2011
In my contract it states that they pay for any holidays that fall on their scheduled days, and if they'd like any extra days it would be at my daily rate.

BUT, that said, just today parent came in and paid me $90 for her two days next week (Wed. & Thurs) - no questions asked about the holiday next Thursday. I decided to offer her Tues. & Wed since I'm closed Thurs. Now that was NOT in my contract, but I have the space on Tuesday and this is a nice family who appreciates all that I do. I do things like that for my families - they do not expect it, and they know it is a "gift" and I've never once been taken advantage of for doing things like this.

If your contract spells this out there is no reason for your dcm to complain that it is "unfair".
mac60 03:11 AM 11-18-2011
Amazes me how parents think they can switch up their schedule to their advantage. I get paid holidays. I find this is typically a problem with part timers. It is stated in my handbook that if you are normally here 3 days per week, and one of those days is a holiday and you switch, you will then be charged for 4 days. Not getting out of paying the holiday pay. I am sure their employer doesn't make them work an extra day with out pay so they can have a holiday off.
***, I hate parents who try to manipulate always to their advantage.
Meyou 03:36 AM 11-18-2011
It's not unfair at all since it's in your contract.

She CAN switch days if she wants, she just has to pay for them like the contract states.
Cat Herder 04:19 AM 11-18-2011
In my contract I charge for a holidays but only if the child is supposed to be in my care.
It is in the signed contract. Period. No wiggle room, black and white.

Agreeing to terms of service then trying to weasel out of it when it does not go your way is childish. I would not care if she was upset.... I'd be upset she was treating ME that way.

I would not apologize, or reason with her. I would tell her she has known for as long as she was enrolled this was going to be the case... it will be next year, too. Thanksgiving is ALWAYS on a Thursday...

This is not a difficult concept and she needs to get over it. "Suck it up buttercup".
Kaddidle Care 04:28 AM 11-18-2011
It's all included in one low price! You'd think she was paying you a million dollars!

Did any of your other clients complain when a Holiday fell on a Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday? Probably not.

Of all Holidays - MOST people are home on Thanksgiving although the retail world is breaking into it the last couple of years. I'm sure she can find a family member to watch her little darling those two days if she is working herself.

BTW - nothing like waiting for the last minute. Thanksgiving is less than a week away. She's self employed and should be better at planning.
DCMom 05:33 AM 11-18-2011
I do feel a little guilty...I have four part time families. Two families, one is MThF and the other is WThF. It seems like a lot of my paid holidays and paid days off fall on Fridays, so they always end up paying when the MTW and TWTh families don't. They never complain about it, but I feel bad.

So I do allow those two families to switch at no charge, if space is available. They rarely ask. I also have been taking some Mondays instead of Fridays as paid days to kind of even things out.

The one family that complains/comments? The TWTh family...the one who is rarely affected by holidays and days off. She specifically works those days to AVOID paid days off.
DaycareMom 11:25 AM 11-18-2011
Ok So I did it! At drop off, I bucked up and asked dcd if they needed me next week and either way I needed to be paid.
He said ok and that he would bring money when he came to pick her up.

Well, mom picked up dcg and knew nothing about needing to pay me.

We will see what happens when they come next time.

It is so aggravating! I feel like the mom and dad don't communicate at all!

Where do I go from here???
Cat Herder 11:51 AM 11-18-2011
Originally Posted by MissChristie:
Where do I go from here???
Do not allow another drop-off until you are paid.

Stand firm. It will be hard, but if you don't you will be dealing with this on every vacation.

Also, know it is possible they may not come back. I would not make any major purchases until this wrinkle is ironed out.
e.j. 12:05 PM 11-18-2011
In my contract I charge for a holidays but only if the child is supposed to be in my care........ What do all of you do for part timers? Do you charge them on the holidays when they are supposed to be here and charge for the extra days or swap days since they are part time?

As many here pointed out, it's not unfair if your policy is clearly outlined in your contract or handbook or if you told her verbally what the expectation is for holiday pay.

I have the same policy you do - I charge for holidays if the child is supposed to be in my care that day whether they are full or part time. In the interest of good customer relations, though, I will let them switch days at no extra charge if they ask, if it's convenient for me and if I have the space. The extra money for a switched day would be nice but my primary concern is maintaining my income and keeping my families happy.
Tags:paid holidays, part time care
Reply Up