Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Some Advice & Prayers
m.kids1301 04:19 PM 07-23-2013
I am so very stressed... don't know if I should continue doing this, but I don't know what else to do. I took care of 2 kids just temporarily for a week while regular provider was on vacation. After about 2 days I could tell the boy (4 yr old) is VERY picky about food.

I try to get the kids to at least eat something during the time they are here and most of the kids will at least eat a bite. This kid wouldn't eat anything one meal and I had him take a bite of lima beans which he got in his mouth and just held there. I told him he needed to chew them up and swallow them then he could get up. He just sat there with them in his cheek, and ended up falling asleep! When he got up he tried to go to the hallway (away from the front room) and I thought he was going to spit out the beans; and he spit them into his hand then they fell on the floor. She apparently thought I was going to feed them back to him! (From what the report said.) I threw them away then since they went on the floor. The aunt that picked him up got upset after they left; she'd even said they'd be back the next day. They came and got the stuff the next day and she was then mad. That was the week before last.

Today a guy came from DCS to do an investigation! In the report she brought up that food incident plus one day when there were a lot of other people here (when my sister's family was here so they could do a birthday party for her grand daughter and some are from out of town). She brought up something about her niece that happened about 15 years ago when she was here! The niece has still been friends with me, and comes over now and then.

I have health problems that come from the way I ate growing up. I've learned to eat a much healthier diet since then and do much better physically when I'm careful with what I eat. I'm 58 and in better shape than a lot of others I know my age. I see children eating so poorly now; a pop-tart for breakfast, or a big glazed doughnut. I've had kids about 4 years old that don't know what a carrot is. It's just so sad and I do try to get children to at least eat a bite of their veggies. I've had some actually start to like them and they gobble them up. But now and then I get a really stubborn kid and all I did was try to get him to chew up one bite. I know I can just put that food in front of them and let them not eat anything, but what they do is not eat here and wait till they get home and get what they want. What is that teaching these kids?

The investigation guy said he still needs to do some more investigating, but I'm not sure what is going to come of this. Seems like I get complaints only about things that parents view as wrong, but very little feedback for all the positive things I try to do.

nannyde 04:48 PM 07-23-2013
Well you just made a mistake but it was not worthy of tax payer money to send a worker to investigate for cryin out loud. In the future don't expect them to try anything or eat. If they have a candy and treat diet they won't eat your food.

I know you care but it's not your job to care. It's his parents job.

I could care less if they eat. My only food concern is if a breast fed baby is completely nipple trained. If they have the ability to eat and they say no... no problem.
m.kids1301 06:43 PM 08-07-2013
Thanks so much for that reply! I never quite thought of it that way and well, I guess even a parent that does complain about their kid not eating will have to just figure out what to do about that too. I'm past the investigation and that's basically what it came to. I'm just not going to concern myself with whether they eat what I make or not. I've got other things to do anyway!
Familycare71 07:18 PM 08-07-2013
Originally Posted by m.kids1301:
Thanks so much for that reply! I never quite thought of it that way and well, I guess even a parent that does complain about their kid not eating will have to just figure out what to do about that too. I'm past the investigation and that's basically what it came to. I'm just not going to concern myself with whether they eat what I make or not. I've got other things to do anyway!
I'm glad it worked out! Keep offering those healthy foods and some of them will learn ... Your a positive role model and even if it doesn't stick now they are learning
GoodKarma 05:58 AM 08-08-2013
What Nan said . I'm glad everything came out ok.
Reply Up