Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>OT- Feeling Like My World Is Crumbling. Prayers Please!
SunshineMama 07:10 AM 07-01-2014
After a month long interview process, dh was offered a new job, which he accepted. He bought a new car (against my wishes, but that's besides the point), and has since had to put 4,000 of work into the car. This all occurred during his 2 week notice time period. Our ac broke, so that was another 1000 to fix.

Dh was supposed to start his new job today. This job was our ticket to the next level of life. To me weaning out of daycare, and the end of financial insecurity. Well, they called him yesterday and told him not to come in today. Apparently his background check wasn't clean.

When he was 16, he was with a group of boys who broke into a cat and stole a fire extinguisher and a tow hitch. They were caught, and he was charged with larceny counts and breaking and entering. It was stupid. He was 16 and bored, and with the wrong group of people.

We had it completely expunged. I have the court paperwork to prove it. Now, hr said if they can see it, it isn't expunged. We sent the paperwork and they said too bad.

Dh called their hiring manager and explained. They are in the process of a second review today.

Please pray for my family. As of right now, dh is jobless, and we owe all of our bills and mortgage, and extra repair costs. If this second review doesn't go through, I don't know what we will do.

Dh broke down and cried, a rare occurrence. He feels like a failure. I'm not mad at him it was 16 years ago.

Please pray for us and send good will. Thanks for listening.
Blackcat31 07:12 AM 07-01-2014
Keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Hoping things work out for you all.
momofsix 08:14 AM 07-01-2014
Praying it all gets worked out for you and your family
Kabob 08:18 AM 07-01-2014
We'll be praying for you too. How frustrating!
cara041083 08:25 AM 07-01-2014
Just Will Keep Your Family In My Thoughts today.
midaycare 09:17 AM 07-01-2014
Oh man! I'm thinking of and praying for you guys!
mamamanda 09:30 AM 07-01-2014
I am praying for you too. For peace through this time & for the job situation too.
My3cents 10:30 AM 07-01-2014
Originally Posted by SunshineMama:
After a month long interview process, dh was offered a new job, which he accepted. He bought a new car (against my wishes, but that's besides the point), and has since had to put 4,000 of work into the car. This all occurred during his 2 week notice time period. Our ac broke, so that was another 1000 to fix.

Dh was supposed to start his new job today. This job was our ticket to the next level of life. To me weaning out of daycare, and the end of financial insecurity. Well, they called him yesterday and told him not to come in today. Apparently his background check wasn't clean.

When he was 16, he was with a group of boys who broke into a cat and stole a fire extinguisher and a tow hitch. They were caught, and he was charged with larceny counts and breaking and entering. It was stupid. He was 16 and bored, and with the wrong group of people.

We had it completely expunged. I have the court paperwork to prove it. Now, hr said if they can see it, it isn't expunged. We sent the paperwork and they said too bad.

Dh called their hiring manager and explained. They are in the process of a second review today.

Please pray for my family. As of right now, dh is jobless, and we owe all of our bills and mortgage, and extra repair costs. If this second review doesn't go through, I don't know what we will do.

Dh broke down and cried, a rare occurrence. He feels like a failure. I'm not mad at him it was 16 years ago.

Please pray for us and send good will. Thanks for listening.
I am thinking good thoughts for you but I want to thank you for sharing..... I will be sharing this with my teen as encouragement to not make mistakes that can later come back to bite you in the butt. We all make mistakes and we need to move on esp if it has been years and rectified. Hug your hubby, it will be ok. When one door closes a window opens.......or another door opens, think positive good things will come of this-
SSWonders 10:32 AM 07-01-2014
I will be thinking of your family and keeping you in my prayers.
melilley 10:54 AM 07-01-2014
I will be thinking of you and your family! I hope the review goes well!
SunshineMama 11:14 AM 07-01-2014
So here's the update: it has been escalated, and is in the hands of 1 woman in HR. We will find out tomorrow. This 1 woman holds the future of our family in her hands. It's terrifying.

Please keep up the prayers, and share with your teenagers! Dh made 1 mistake with a bunch of teenage boys. He wasn't even the one who did it, he was just there. And we are suffering 16 years later, with 3 kids of our own. A word to the wise: behave you young'uns! It WILL come back to bite you!
NightOwl 11:20 AM 07-01-2014
Wow, I thought juvenile records were sealed.
SunshineMama 11:56 AM 07-01-2014
Originally Posted by Wednesday:
Wow, I thought juvenile records were sealed.
It IS sealed. We paid a lawyer to expunge it and we have the court paperwork to prove it. Apparently, there are 3rd party companies who have the old information on file and aren't required to update their databases. If the hiring company uses the old background company, then it shows up.

But juvenile records are not automatically sealed, as you might think.

Keep sending the positivity! Thanks everyone!
AmyKidsCo 12:09 PM 07-01-2014
Oh no! I'm so sorry you're going through this and hope the HR lady has common sense and sympathy. IMO dumb teenage stunts like this should disappear after a certain number of "good" years. I hope it all works out!
MOM OF 4 12:44 PM 07-01-2014
I hope that they have enough sense to realize he was a teenager, as dumb as he was then, but that now he's an adult. 16 years ago? Heck, I believe even healthcare workers can still get a job with the record you posted he had.
Country Kids 12:48 PM 07-01-2014
Keeping you in thoughts and hope she really thinks about this and itsn't some power hungry personl

I was watching "Next Food Network Star" and there is a guy on there who was dishonorably discharged from the service because of doing drugs and stuff. He got out continued on with the drugs, being homeless, etc.. Then he decided to get serious, changed his life, everything is on the right path. He took everything back to the military and proved he has changed his life and they changed his discharge to HONORABLE!

If the service can do it anyone can-
cheerfuldom 01:03 PM 07-01-2014
I hope everything works out for you! It is very stressful to depend on daycare income and be struggling with young ones of your own. I completely understand. Hang in there. We are here for you!
daycarediva 01:19 PM 07-01-2014
My husband did something similar, and did a LOT of unity service. we had the records sealed and it came up during my daycare initial registration. We had to prove it was SEALED and then they approved his background check.

I hope they're reasonable. He was 16 for crying out loud!!!
SunshineMama 01:31 PM 07-01-2014
Thanks everyone! I will update tomorrow. In the meantime, he went to his aunts 2 states away to paint her deck for some extra cash to get us by. I'm proud of him for doing whatever he can at this moment for our family, and no matter the outcome, at this point our marriage is stronger bc I see what he is willing to do for us, and he sees the support I am giving to him.

Thank you ladies for being here-i can't come out and discuss this with my friends right now, and it helps having people to tall to!
proudmommyofthree 02:02 PM 07-01-2014
Praying it all gets this all gets worked out!
e.j. 03:23 PM 07-01-2014
Will say a few extra prayers for you and your husband. Hopefully, the HR woman will take a chance on your husband.
SunshineMama 12:34 PM 07-02-2014
So update: dh's potential boss called him and told him that dh needs to call the HR lady (the one who had the final say). Dh called and left a message 2 hours ago, and she never called back. He called again and she didn't pick up.

I was feeling confident up until theb. If it was good news, wouldn't the boss have just told him? I feel like I'm going to vomit. I don't know know what to do now. My day care income isn't enough for a single mortgage payment.

There's still a chance... but why aren't they calling him to say either way?
Blackcat31 12:41 PM 07-02-2014
So update: dh's potential boss called him and told him that dh needs to call the HR lady (the one who had the final say). Dh called and left a message 2 hours ago, and she never called back. He called again and she didn't pick up.

I was feeling confident up until theb. If it was good news, wouldn't the boss have just told him? I feel like I'm going to vomit. I don't know know what to do now. My day care income isn't enough for a single mortgage payment.

There's still a chance... but why aren't they calling him to say either way?
Breathe....

Focus on the positive!

Positive energy will net you so much more than negative.

Don't stress about something that has not happened yet.

Breathe....

starz0123 01:02 PM 07-02-2014
Hopefully HR lady is just very busy today, but your husband needs to call one last time and then ring his future boss & advise situation.

What a horrible situation for your Dh being discriminated against for something that happened when he was a child, very unfair.

I hope it's resolved soon.
SunshineMama 02:34 PM 07-02-2014
She never called. He text his boss and was told that he would tell her to contact him. The business day is over. We will have to wait another day.

I am trying soooooo hard to be strong.
midaycare 03:58 PM 07-02-2014
She never called. He text his boss and was told that he would tell her to contact him. The business day is over. We will have to wait another day.

I am trying soooooo hard to be strong.
Oh that is frustrating! I'm sorry you didn't hear today. Sending good vibes and positive thoughts!
llpa 04:06 PM 07-02-2014
Wow so sorry you are going through this! Not very nice to make you wait even longer and he was sixteen!!! Geez! Sending a prayer and positive thoughts your way!
SilverSabre25 05:34 PM 07-02-2014
Thinking of you and your family
ACH247 06:30 PM 07-02-2014
I really hope he gets it. I'm praying for your family.
racemom 06:46 PM 07-02-2014
Sending prayers your way. Sometimes people don't realize you are sitting on pins and needles waiting for their call, you are just part of there to do list. So not hearing doesn't necessarily mean bad news!
SunshineMama 06:56 AM 07-03-2014
Still no word. We received paperwork in the mail last night stating that he won't get the job by he falsified his criminal history, and he was convicted of an act of dishonesty and/or money laundering.

According to our state, you are legally supposed to check "no" in the box asking about any criminal history when you have an expunged record. Also, it is illegal for a company to ask about juvenile records. I contacted the labor rights board and they advised me get a lawyer. So thats what we are doing.

We still never received a call back from the HR lqdt about the second review.
NightOwl 07:10 AM 07-03-2014
I'm holding out hope for you that this lady ends up hiring your husband today. Surely they can't think you guys will let this go. If she doesn't, this is plain and simple discrimination and misuse of personal SEALED records. Your case would be open and shut as far as any judge is concerned.
SunshineMama 07:34 AM 07-03-2014
Originally Posted by Wednesday:
I'm holding out hope for you that this lady ends up hiring your husband today. Surely they can't think you guys will let this go. If she doesn't, this is plain and simple discrimination and misuse of personal SEALED records. Your case would be open and shut as far as any judge is concerned.
Thanks! I would absolutely prefer him to get the job and we can move on. In the meantime, I've contacted our expungment lawyer and a trial lawyer for advice.
midaycare 11:51 AM 07-03-2014
I'm sorry. Still thinking of and praying for you guys.
NightOwl 03:27 PM 07-03-2014
No phone call again today?
Josiegirl 03:49 AM 07-04-2014
Hoping everything works out for you guys. I believe in these 2 mantras/ cliches, whatever ya call 'em, This too shall pass and life will get better. Hang in there until it does. In the meantime, keeping fingers crossed!
Tags:husband issues
Reply Up