Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Peanut Allergy
bklsmum 09:56 AM 09-05-2016
So I had an interview set up with a prospective DCF this week. Mom and I talked before hand and she asked questions and all was well until she showed up for the interview and THEN told me her child had a severe peanut allergy. UGH! How do you not lead with that when asking questions BEFORE the interview?! I told her I couldn't accommodate a peanut allergy safely and apologized and sent her on her way.
Pestle 12:53 PM 09-05-2016
How severe is severe? Did she tell you that the child can't be in the house with peanut products?

My child has a severe peanut allergy, but it's only triggered by contact or ingestion. So she did fine in family day care; the providers just agreed to make sure nobody sent in any peanuts, and they only fed her what I sent in.

Of course, any day care provider should have training on epinephrine injection, but I also reviewed with them using the trainer. They were all comfortable with it.
mommyneedsadayoff 01:23 PM 09-05-2016
Did she bring the child too? If so, that's a dangerous thing to do I have seen others ask about this same situation, so it's not totally uncommon. I think they don't say anything bc when they do, they probably get turned away more quickly, but withholding important info about your child is also not the best idea either.
Unregistered 01:47 PM 09-05-2016
I start a conversation about eating during the phone interview. That helps me find the self-diagnosed allergy parents too. BTDT and I am not interested in going down that road unless they are willing to submit a proper allergy plan.
bklsmum 04:23 PM 09-05-2016
She said he couldn't be anywhere near it and had to have an epi-pen with them at all times. Fortunately we were having the interview on the porch so he could play outside while we talked.
Pestle 05:39 PM 09-05-2016
That's odd, yes.

I have a difficult family and am working to get them in line--in small doses so they don't leave in a huff. It took two months to get the immunization records out of them. This week we're working on a biting game plan. Then it'll be time to deal with "Oops. Can I pay next week?"

So the following week is going to be, "When I said no outside food because of allergies in the house, I really did mean it. Please don't send in any food they didn't finish from breakfast."
spedmommy4 05:53 PM 09-05-2016
Originally Posted by bklsmum:
She said he couldn't be anywhere near it and had to have an epi-pen with them at all times. Fortunately we were having the interview on the porch so he could play outside while we talked.
That might be a little dramatic. The allergy could be both contact and ingestion, but he's not going to have air contact with peanuts.

I have a little guy with a serious tree nut allergy. Mom supplies the food and I make sure that the children don't share. I also have an epipin on site. So far, it hasn't been as big an issue as I thought it would be.
lblanke 03:42 AM 09-06-2016
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
Did she bring the child too? If so, that's a dangerous thing to do
Yes dangerous to withhold from your prospective provider but not dangerous for most to attend an interview.

Most kids with peanut allergy can do anything that other kids can do except ingest peanuts. My child has a severe life threatening peanut allergy but plays in parks, inflatables, flies on commercial airlines, has been on Disney Cruises, has attended preschool from the age of 18 months (no incidents so far). We rarely eat out but otherwise live a normal life.

We were not turned away from any daycare, although we were most comfortable with the one we chose. Parents send in all food. She eats what we send. Her room is peanut & tree nut free but not the school. They have a common playground. I send her own treats for birthdays and a safe snack box for surprises (music teacher brought marshmallows that may contain nuts so she had a safe snack from her stash).

Home day care might be hard if meals included because checking labels can be tricky due to labeling laws & inconsistent labeling. Preschool has worked great (1 snack, 1 meal 5 days per week for 3 years so far).

You are exactly right that mom should have lead with that though. I had one director say I didn't ask at all about safety after peppering her with food questions (I asked about 15 questions about food prep & service) looked at 1 month of menus) & I thought food safety is my # 1 priority.
mommyneedsadayoff 06:11 AM 09-06-2016
Originally Posted by lblanke:
Yes dangerous to withhold from your prospective provider but not dangerous for most to attend an interview.

Most kids with peanut allergy can do anything that other kids can do except ingest peanuts. My child has a severe life threatening peanut allergy but plays in parks, inflatables, flies on commercial airlines, has been on Disney Cruises, has attended preschool from the age of 18 months (no incidents so far). We rarely eat out but otherwise live a normal life.

We were not turned away from any daycare, although we were most comfortable with the one we chose. Parents send in all food. She eats what we send. Her room is peanut & tree nut free but not the school. They have a common playground. I send her own treats for birthdays and a safe snack box for surprises (music teacher brought marshmallows that may contain nuts so she had a safe snack from her stash).

Home day care might be hard if meals included because checking labels can be tricky due to labeling laws & inconsistent labeling. Preschool has worked great (1 snack, 1 meal 5 days per week for 3 years so far).

You are exactly right that mom should have lead with that though. I had one director say I didn't ask at all about safety after peppering her with food questions (I asked about 15 questions about food prep & service) looked at 1 month of menus) & I thought food safety is my # 1 priority.
OP said mom said he can't be anywhere near it. Is she exaggerating? Maybe, I don't know. But if my child had a life threatening allergy and could not be anywhere near the cause of it, I would not go into a perfect strangers house without finding out more info and alerting them so they can warn me if there is an issue. For all i know, they are growing peanuts in their backyard.
Second Home 12:13 PM 09-06-2016
I have a friend who's child can not eat or come into contact with peanuts . Just touching something that has peanut oil on it will cause a severe reaction ( epi-pen and er) .
CityGarden 10:12 PM 09-06-2016
My child has a peanut allergy and my program is 100% peanut free. We do not keep peanut products in the home period. There are so many people with peanut allergies I would not want to risk it in a group setting --- this was the same policy my dd's university preschool had as well. Dd is now school age and she goes to a school that allows them, I am fine with that now that she is older and can be more responsible for her own actions with regard to food.
nannyde 04:08 AM 09-07-2016
So I had an interview set up with a prospective DCF this week. Mom and I talked before hand and she asked questions and all was well until she showed up for the interview and THEN told me her child had a severe peanut allergy. UGH! How do you not lead with that when asking questions BEFORE the interview?! I told her I couldn't accommodate a peanut allergy safely and apologized and sent her on her way.
Read this entire thread:

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...ghlight=butter
Pestle 10:45 AM 09-07-2016
One of my families keeps sending in food and bottles when I've told them there's a "No outside food" rule due to a peanut allergy. It's in the signed handbook, too. Today they sent in sippy cups. One had peanut butter smeared on it.

Who's the patron saint of finding a replacement day care family?
LysesKids 10:51 AM 09-07-2016
If you discover one let me know lol I could use some help filling my spaces that will be empty come January
Tags:peanut allergy
Reply Up