Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Failed ASQ Communications Again
daycare 10:57 AM 04-13-2017
I have a child that has been with me for over a year. He was my very last of the part time under two crowd. He started at 18months 3 days a week MWF and was cared for by grandmother on other days. Grandmother speaks a different language. Child transitioned to full time back in November.

child will be 3 tomorrow

the child is still barley talking and says one word here and there, mostly just repeat what we say and again only one word. AND it's really hard to understand what is being said.

I am required to conduct ASQs every 3 months. So far the child has scored VERY VERY low and has not passed this section so to speak..

I talked to the parent about it back in December and told DCM that I was concerned, because we should be using more words. Child is my only one that still takes things or hits, not often, but it happens. We should be seeing less of this, with the expectation of vocabulary increase. However, DCM said she is not concerned at all. Also, DCM said he does not talk much at home either.

So I conducted the ASQ Monday and again scored super low, almost lowest you can possibly score.

My question is, taking into consideration that the child is exposed to other languages, (which he CAN NOT speak) how much longer would you wait to require the family to seek an evaluation?

My staff and I are feeling at a loss because we struggle with being able to communicate with the child.
Tags:milestones - speech, speech - milestones, speech issues
Up