Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Many Different Kinds Of Milk Do You Buy?
Country Kids 08:36 AM 06-13-2018
As of last nights newest client I'm up to buying four different kinds of milk and it isn't cheap!!!!

1%-5 Gallons
Almond-1 Gallon
Goat Milk-1 Gallon
Soy-1 Gallon

Is there any other type of milk a child may need? I honestly don't think I could fit anymore in my fridge and need to get a refrigerator just because of all the milk!
Blackcat31 08:52 AM 06-13-2018
I buy 1% as I have ages 2+ only.

I don't have any kids that require substitute milk and honestly if I did, I think soy is the only one I would provide.

Any other type would need to be supplied by the parent.

I don't think my food program accepts almond or goats milk as an credible substitute for cows milk or soy milk but that might have changed, I don't know...I don't have anyone in care currently with special dietary needs
daycarediva 09:14 AM 06-13-2018
I don't provide food for special diets, so those kids would need to come with milk from home, in three separate sippy cups, daily.

I buy whole, under 2's and skim, over 2's.

My current crew ALWAYS chose water, so we use milk for under 2's and in cereal only. I go through about 3 gallons a week for 12 kids.
jenboo 09:36 AM 06-13-2018
I bought while milk. Parents provided their specialty milks.
Febby 10:11 AM 06-13-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I buy 1% as I have ages 2+ only.

I don't have any kids that require substitute milk and honestly if I did, I think soy is the only one I would provide.

Any other type would need to be supplied by the parent.

I don't think my food program accepts almond or goats milk as an credible substitute for cows milk or soy milk but that might have changed, I don't know...I don't have anyone in care currently with special dietary needs
Mine will only accept almond/coconut/hemp/goat/etc. milk if there's a note from a doctor saying the child can't have both cow's milk and soy milk.

I buy 1% for the DC kiddos (all 2+) and almond milk for my DD. When the infant turns 1, I'll get whole milk for her but right now mom supplies formula. I also wouldn't be supplying any alternative milk other than soy.
Jupadia 10:22 AM 06-13-2018
I provide 2% for 2+ ages and 3.5% for the under 2 crowd. Any children that require a different kind I have the parents provide it. For example I have one child that gets lactose free milk so parents bring it. No price change to fees or anything and I'm not a part of any food program so I have no issue if parents want a different kind.
Blackcat31 10:40 AM 06-13-2018
Originally Posted by Febby:
Mine will only accept almond/coconut/hemp/goat/etc. milk if there's a note from a doctor saying the child can't have both cow's milk and soy milk.
I think special diet statements will make non-dairy milk credible or claimable but without a special diet statement almond milk, goats milk and/or coconut milk aren't nutritionally equivalent.
Country Kids 12:01 PM 06-13-2018
For those who have the parents supply the milk how are you reimbursed on the food program?

We can't claim if the parents are supplying items.
Blackcat31 12:11 PM 06-13-2018
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
For those who have the parents supply the milk how are you reimbursed on the food program?

We can't claim if the parents are supplying items.
New food program rules for kids over 12 months (Oct 2017) say you CAN claim meals/snacks where parents supply one component of the meal IF the parent supplied portion is a credible substitute.
hwichlaz 12:31 PM 06-13-2018
Real milk for my family, 2-gal
1 % for daycare, 2 gal
Cat Herder 12:50 PM 06-13-2018
Milk provided: 1%

Infant Formula provided: Parents Choice Infant with Iron - to 12 months

Toddler Formula provided: Parent's Choice Toddlers Beginnings with Iron - to 24 months

All included with tuition.

Parents provide alternatives. Few do this past 6 months.
Country Kids 01:26 PM 06-13-2018
New food program rules for kids over 12 months (Oct 2017) say you CAN claim meals/snacks where parents supply one component of the meal IF the parent supplied portion is a credible substitute.
Talking to my food program just now here is what I found out:

If it is the parents choice to have them on a different milk, they may supply it and you can still claim the meal.

If needing a different milk is due to a disability (allergies, constipation, diarreha, etc) you have to have a doctors note and also supply the milk.
lovemykidstoo 01:37 PM 06-13-2018
My food program drop down menu says "special provision/soy milk (dr statement)

Currently I offer per reg, whole milk to 1 to 2 yr olds and 1% over 2.
Blackcat31 03:06 PM 06-13-2018
Talking to my food program just now here is what I found out:

If it is the parents choice to have them on a different milk, they may supply it and you can still claim the meal.

If needing a different milk is due to a disability (allergies, constipation, diarreha, etc) you have to have a doctors note and also supply the milk.
Yep! They are correct, you CAN still claim the meal/snack if parent provides one component IF that substitute is nutritionally equivalent to cow's milk. EVEN if it is the parents choice to not drink cows milk. (see the right hand side of the attached flow chart)
Attached: FP Flow Chart.jpg (165.9 KB) 
Jdy2222 07:52 PM 06-13-2018
I buy two milks - whole and 2%. I just had two kids move out of the area but before they did I had seven kids drinking six different things - the 2 milks I provided, soy milk, lactaid, juice, and formula. Parents supply everything but the regular milk.
DaveA 03:57 AM 06-14-2018
I buy 2% milk and Almond milk. I'm not on the food program so no worries there. I've offered the option of soy or almond milk instead of dairy since I opened. My newest family is the first one to take me up on it.
Pestle 05:59 AM 06-14-2018
I buy Aldi whole milk. Parents send in milk alternatives; no nut milks permitted.
amberrose3dg 06:20 AM 06-14-2018
Originally Posted by Pestle:
I buy Aldi whole milk. Parents send in milk alternatives; no nut milks permitted.
whole and 1%.
daycarediva 10:30 AM 06-14-2018
same rules here, regardless of the reasoning allergy or parent preference. They can supply the milk (note on file) and I can claim it.
Country Kids 12:14 PM 06-14-2018
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
same rules here, regardless of the reasoning allergy or parent preference. They can supply the milk (note on file) and I can claim it.
Funny how each food sponsor is different in their rules.
racemom 12:35 PM 06-14-2018
Not on food program, but we offer whole up to age 2 and 1% after. Have only had 1 parent request different said they were doing an elimination diet to find what was wrong with dck, and was told they had to supply, new unopened carton as needed and fresh one every monday morning. Lasted 2 weeks, parent forgot milk monday, director said needed to go home with child and return with carton. Suddenly they decided milk was not the issue. Side note: none of us think dck has anything wrong except Mom and her needing special.
Blackcat31 01:10 PM 06-14-2018
Funny how each food sponsor is different in their rules.
I didn't get the info off of a sponsor site, I got it directly from the CACFP site so if your sponsor isn't following that rule, they are not in compliance.
CityGarden 12:03 AM 06-15-2018
I do not provide milk because each family would likely have a different "milk" preference.... whole, 1%, raw, almond, soy, skim, etc. LOL

Also I personally do not agree that milk is a healthy need in the diet more so than water so I serve water. If I took children under two I would likely serve Organic 1% but since I do not and am not on the food program I serve water only drink wise.
Country Kids 08:39 AM 06-15-2018
I didn't get the info off of a sponsor site, I got it directly from the CACFP site so if your sponsor isn't following that rule, they are not in compliance.
Not sure, but was told ONLY if it is a parent choice can they provide it.

If the child has a disability from dairy the parent cannot supply it but we have to supply it and there has to be a doctors not on file.
Blackcat31 08:55 AM 06-15-2018
Not sure, but was told ONLY if it is a parent choice can they provide it.

If the child has a disability from dairy the parent cannot supply it but we have to supply it and there has to be a doctors not on file.
If the child has a disability then yes, you are required to provide the substitute the doctor says to use.

If the parent simply chooses to serve their child something different not based on a disability then the parent can supply the substitute but the substitute item must meet the same nutritional requirements of the item being substituted and thus allowing you to claim the meal.

If the parent brings a substitute item that is NOT nutritionally equivalent to the requirement than you CAN NOT claim the meal.

I think you are misinterpreting what I am saying or I am not understanding what you are saying

In some cases you CAN claim the meal and in some cases you can not.

The deciding factor is whether or not the substitute item is equivalent to original requirement.
Here are some examples of what I mean:

Scenario #1 Parent wants child to drink almond milk instead of cows milk. Parent brings almond milk. You supply the remaining components of the meal.

You CAN NOT claim this meal. Almond milk does not meet the same nutritional requirements as cows milk.

Scenario #2 Parent does not want child to eat meat. Parent supplies beans or tofu. You supply remaining components of the meal.

You CAN claim this meal because the substitute parent brings DOES meet the nutritional requirements of original meal component.
Country Kids 09:12 AM 06-15-2018
Can you link me to what milks aren't approved?

I looked on the CACFP site but not finding a list of approved non approved milks and I would like to have one so I can put with my food program binder.

For my two that have a disability, I'm allowed to serve goat and almond milk with no issues as long as I have a note.

Are you allowed to serve any type of milk with a doctors note?
Blackcat31 09:44 AM 06-15-2018
Can you link me to what milks aren't approved?

I looked on the CACFP site but not finding a list of approved non approved milks and I would like to have one so I can put with my food program binder.

For my two that have a disability, I'm allowed to serve goat and almond milk with no issues as long as I have a note.

Here is the CACFP Crediting Handbook. Milk info starts on page 14. https://www.cacfp.org/files/9914/424...nghandbook.pdf

The following as well as the links at the bottom are milk substitute info shortened up in an easier reading format:

As of February 16, 2017 these milk substitutes are creditable.As of October 1, 2017, flavored non-dairy beverage may only be served to children 6 years old and older.

https://dpi.wi.gov/sites/default/fil...nt_handout.pdf

http://www.k12.wa.us/ChildNutrition/...yBeverages.pdf

https://fns-prod.azureedge.net/sites...P17_2016os.pdf

http://www.cmautah.net/forms/NonDairyBeverages-Milk.pdf
Blackcat31 10:05 AM 06-15-2018

This is not entirely true. Goat's milk is not an equivalent substitute for cows milk as far as I've ever read or been told. Even with a disability the doctor is required to list an acceptable substitute if the child's unable to have cows milk. However, I do believe almond, rice, coconut milk or whole, reduced fat (2%), lactose free whole or lactose free 2% cow’s milk.

"Fluid milk substitutes may be served in lieu of fluid milk due to medical or other special dietary needs which are not a disability, such as lactose intolerance. Fluid milk substitutes must be nutritionally equivalent to milk and meet the nutritional standards for fortification of calcium, protein, vitamin A, vitamin D, and other nutrients".

No, only milk substitutes meeting the USDA criteria for milk substitutes can be used for reimbursable meals. If a fluid milk substitution is served that is not on the official list, the meal is not reimbursable on the CACFP even with a doctors statement.
Ariana 10:44 AM 06-15-2018
The problem with substitute milk is protein, as they have little to no protein except for soy milk (likely why it is approved by the food program). Soy however has a lot of phytoestrogens so it is not recommended for growing bodies, especially boys. Substitute milks are usually fortified to be nutritionally the same as regular milk, escept for protein.

I often put vegan protein powder in my kids milk if I feel they have not consumed enough protein throughout the day. As a provider I do not provide milk (but infants here are 12 months and older so it really is a non issue). I serve water only and milk is drank at home.
Jamie 04:18 AM 06-18-2018
Nobody here drinks milk except for me, so I just buy skim because that's what I like best.
If they drank milk, I would buy whole milk for them and nothing else. If that's not good enough, they can drink milk at home.
I firmly believe that the very best thing to drink is and will always be water.
mommyneedsadayoff 05:31 AM 06-18-2018
Originally Posted by Jamie:
Nobody here drinks milk except for me, so I just buy skim because that's what I like best.
If they drank milk, I would buy whole milk for them and nothing else. If that's not good enough, they can drink milk at home.
I firmly believe that the very best thing to drink is and will always be water.
I'm the same, except I prefer almond or goat milk, but the kids all drink water. My kids just dont care for it much, except in cereal sometimes. Dck's seem to get PLENTY of milk at home. It seems that when parents switch to cows milk, they keep the bottle and the formula routine, so the kid is getting 8 ounces every few hours and it is just too much! Offering water is my attempt to offset all that milk they get at home!
nannyde 07:44 AM 06-18-2018
Here is the CACFP Crediting Handbook. Milk info starts on page 14. https://www.cacfp.org/files/9914/424...nghandbook.pdf

The following as well as the links at the bottom are milk substitute info shortened up in an easier reading format:

As of February 16, 2017 these milk substitutes are creditable.
  • 1. 8th Continent Soymilk; Original and Vanilla
  • 2. Pacific Natural Ultra Soy; Plain and Vanilla
  • 3. Kikkoman Pearl Smart Chocolate
  • 4. Walmart Great Value original Soy milk (red carton)
  • 5. Silk Original Soy Milk
  • 6. Kirkland Signature Organic Soymilk Plain (purple carton)
As of October 1, 2017, flavored non-dairy beverage may only be served to children 6 years old and older.

https://dpi.wi.gov/sites/default/fil...nt_handout.pdf

http://www.k12.wa.us/ChildNutrition/...yBeverages.pdf

https://fns-prod.azureedge.net/sites...P17_2016os.pdf

http://www.cmautah.net/forms/NonDairyBeverages-Milk.pdf
I'm surprised the Great Value organic soy milk isn't credible. That's what I drink. Wonder why?
hwichlaz 08:34 AM 06-18-2018
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I'm surprised the Great Value organic soy milk isn't credible. That's what I drink. Wonder why?
It is creditable if it’s nutritionally equivalent. You just have to submit the label to your program to get it approved.
Tags:milk
Reply Up