Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>The Baby Fell
dreamer 08:13 PM 12-12-2018
Today the baby I care for rolled off of the couch. I wasn’t watching him as close as I should have because I was trying to make eye contact with the father, who I was speaking to. The baby is not hurt or bruised, but feel so terribly guilty. I just started this nannying job this week, if you can believe my luck. I feel like the worst person on the face of the earth. Anxiety has been eating at me all day long, even now as I try to sleep...

Please tell me stories of similar things that happened to you so that I know I’m not alone.
lovemykidstoo 05:26 AM 12-13-2018
Originally Posted by dreamer:
Today the baby I care for rolled off of the couch. I wasn’t watching him as close as I should have because I was trying to make eye contact with the father, who I was speaking to. The baby is not hurt or bruised, but feel so terribly guilty. I just started this nannying job this week, if you can believe my luck. I feel like the worst person on the face of the earth. Anxiety has been eating at me all day long, even now as I try to sleep...

Please tell me stories of similar things that happened to you so that I know I’m not alone.
So that happened in front of the father? How did he react? I did have that happen with my son when he was a baby. I have not had that happen with a dc child. Thank goodness the baby is ok and now you'll be extra careful in the future.
Pestle 05:33 AM 12-13-2018
I don't put any kids in a spot they can't reach themselves. How "baby" is baby?

One of my toddlers just took a gulp of the paint-with-water water, so I'm off to a bad start today.
Jupadia 05:45 AM 12-13-2018
My husband let our oldest roll off the bed, and our youngest off the couch. Both times they were fine. My brother that was 11 ish dropped our youngest brotherc1 year old fall on his head. Then my mom had him checked out by a doctor cause of the direct hot to his head. He was fine thankfully but that time it was a real concern about how he hit himself. It dose happen to people but you have to make sure it dose not happen again.
What was the parents reaction when it happened?
lovemykidstoo 06:10 AM 12-13-2018
Originally Posted by Pestle:
I don't put any kids in a spot they can't reach themselves. How "baby" is baby?

One of my toddlers just took a gulp of the paint-with-water water, so I'm off to a bad start today.
I'm really sorry, but I got a little giggle over that imagining the childs yuck face haha
Pestle 06:12 AM 12-13-2018
Slightly stunned, and I think a little came out the nose.
dreamer 08:15 AM 12-13-2018
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
So that happened in front of the father? How did he react?
Originally Posted by Jupadia:
What was the parents reaction when it happened?
He ran over and picked the baby up and tried to console him. We both checked the babies head and tried to calm him, rubbing his head etc. I told the baby that I’m sorry. The father had to leave very soon afterward, he didn’t say much to me at all. He handed the baby back to me after a while and made a bottle for the baby telling me to give that to him to help him calm down. He told me he had to go to work, and he left.

Thank you all for sharing those stories, if anyone has more please do share
Unregistered 09:13 AM 12-13-2018
Accidents happen. Do not beat yourself up about this. I fell down half a flight of stairs with a baby in my arms. I subconsciously did all I could to protect baby as I fell. Somehow I did and neither of us was hurt. Another time when I worked at a center I had a baby in my arms and as I was trying to squat down to pick up his paci he fell out of my arms. I was sick about it. The baby was totally fine. Things happen. I don't give a crap if you follow every single rule in the book. Stuff happens. Period. I am glad the baby is ok. Everything will be fine!
Ariana 09:54 AM 12-13-2018
In my opinion with the dad there it is just as much his fault as it is yours! Why did he leave the baby on the couch?

Anyway accidents do happen! My own child rolled off a dresser that we were using as a change table. She was about 6 months old and no worse for wear! Babies have pretty thick skulls . I on the other hand nearly had a heart attack and thought I was the worst mother on the planet
dreamer 11:16 AM 12-13-2018
Originally Posted by Ariana:
In my opinion with the dad there it is just as much his fault as it is yours! Why did he leave the baby on the couch?

Anyway accidents do happen! My own child rolled off a dresser that we were using as a change table. She was about 6 months old and no worse for wear! Babies have pretty thick skulls . I on the other hand nearly had a heart attack and thought I was the worst mother on the planet
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Accidents happen. Do not beat yourself up about this. I fell down half a flight of stairs with a baby in my arms. I subconsciously did all I could to protect baby as I fell. Somehow I did and neither of us was hurt. Another time when I worked at a center I had a baby in my arms and as I was trying to squat down to pick up his paci he fell out of my arms. I was sick about it. The baby was totally fine. Things happen. I don't give a crap if you follow every single rule in the book. Stuff happens. Period. I am glad the baby is ok. Everything will be fine!
Thank you both so much for these comments. Seriously. It is hard to see the truth sometimes when you have anxiety. I just couldn’t get out of the pit of guilt! You all are a blessing, I’m so happy I wrote something here.

Today when I went to the family’s house, the father didn’t even mention the fall. He was in a good mood. I brought it up, telling him that I will never let any harm come to his baby and that I am so grateful that he and his wife have not lost faith in me. He seemed surprised that I would even consider he wouldn’t forgive me for it. They both apparently have gotten over the baby’s little tumble long ago, while I was still beating myself up over it hahaha. I’m so glad they can see that it was just an accident and that they don’t think any less of me.

I will continue to remind myself that mistakes happen, and I’ll keep my chin up!
sharlan 04:19 PM 12-13-2018
Not baby, but my almost 3 yo rolled out of the stroller face first on Monday. The whole left side of his face has road rash from the sidewalk. No he was not strapped in.
flying_babyb 07:58 PM 12-13-2018
Last week: we have a loft in our classroom. The kids are really not good when on it and this class was just nuts (16 kids, biting, hitting, pushing) one kid pushed a little girl off the loft. She knocked out two teeth and a chunk of her gums. Mom was livid we didnt call 911. Kid was fine, moms cussing. Mom applozied the next day for looding it on me.
Josiegirl 03:33 AM 12-14-2018
Originally Posted by flying_babyb:
Last week: we have a loft in our classroom. The kids are really not good when on it and this class was just nuts (16 kids, biting, hitting, pushing) one kid pushed a little girl off the loft. She knocked out two teeth and a chunk of her gums. Mom was livid we didnt call 911. Kid was fine, moms cussing. Mom applozied the next day for looding it on me.
Yikes! That's scary!

Yes, accidents do happen. They teach us to be more vigilant in the future; so glad you've kept the lines of communication open with the parents OP!! Time to forgive yourself because it sounds like the parents have moved forward from this and that they trust you! Just wanted to add that often times we are much harder on ourselves than other people are.
Jupadia 06:12 AM 12-14-2018
Originally Posted by sharlan:
Not baby, but my almost 3 yo rolled out of the stroller face first on Monday. The whole left side of his face has road rash from the sidewalk. No he was not strapped in.
I see this happening with my own about to be 3 year old. I do strap him in my dk quad stroller but never our umbrella stroller cause he wants in and out all the time at this age.
Tags:accident, accident report, safety issues, safety of children, supervising kids, supervision, supervision - active vs. passive, supervision - inadequate
Reply Up