Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Black Heritage Month
flying_babyb 06:25 PM 01-10-2019
So were doing black heritage at the end of this month, beginning of next. I am the ONLY white teacher. I have a group of 1 year olds. Any project ideas? Also we have to do a door decorating thing. I did penguins. its going to say "Penguins for peace, equality for all" and i plan to add the kids hand prints. Am I going to offend anyone? I am totally at a loss (Ive only known one other African american in 31 years of life)
dreamer 07:42 PM 01-10-2019
Hi! I don’t think that you not knowing many black people personally should hinder you from doing something relevant to the topic of Black History Month. Don’t worry about that!

What made you choose penguins? The reason why might shed some more light on whether or not it will offend, lol. I do like the message of peace and equality, that is great.

Maybe you can pick a black person who made an impact on history, and do a project related to it... like, Garret Morgan, who created the modern automated traffic light. Maybe you can paint the colors green, yellow, and red on images of a traffic light. Or, maybe you can play the game Red-Light Green-Light. Good luck and have fun!
Cat Herder 08:59 AM 01-11-2019
This is a great place to start lesson planning:

https://shop.scholastic.com/parent-e...istory%20month

https://www.orientaltrading.com/blac...istory%20month
flying_babyb 08:38 PM 01-11-2019
The penguins came about before i was informed our door had to go with the theme ( which they told us thursday). I spent at least 3 hours on these dang penguins. There going up. Lol. I have young ones who totally dont get black hertaige as s concept. We talked about carver the peanut butter guy and betsy ross ( boss suggested that no one teaches about thw flag). They want us to dress up on family fun night too. I lauged. Im going as betsy ross ( going with the teaching about the flag
Tags:all about me, black history month, diversity, winter crafts
Reply Up