Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
1 2 3 4 
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Are You Worried About Coronavirus?
DaveA 03:38 AM 03-16-2020
IL closed schools starting tomorrow for 2 weeks. Our school district went from closing Tuesday to closing today after a call with public health. They made the announcement call at 1030pm.
Jupadia 04:47 AM 03-16-2020
I was talking to my brother last night, told him to prepare for schools clossings since his got two step kids. He was like ok, I'll so that sarsticly an hour after I hung up with him they announced school and daycare are closed with no restart day announced. This was for Alberta Canada. They did say they have no plans to close home daycares their as they do only have a low amount of children in them.
CenterTeacher20 07:09 AM 03-16-2020
ND closed schools for this week only. Seems pointless to me to do it for only one week...
e.j. 11:14 AM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by CenterTeacher20:
ND closed schools for this week only. Seems pointless to me to do it for only one week...
As the number of cases grows, they'll probably adjust that time frame.
CenterTeacher20 11:28 AM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by e.j.:
As the number of cases grows, they'll probably adjust that time frame.
Yeah, you're probably right. We're still only at one case in the state as far as I know.
Rockgirl 03:03 PM 03-16-2020
In Texas, we’re now required to check every child’s temp upon arrival, and parents may not come inside, unless there’s a legitimate reason. All drop offs and pickups must be done outside.
Cat Herder 03:06 PM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
In Texas, we’re now required to check every child’s temp upon arrival, and parents may not come inside, unless there’s a legitimate reason. All drop offs and pickups must be done outside.
God bless Texas. That is how it's done.
Rockgirl 03:12 PM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
God bless Texas. That is how it's done.
I may continue this way, even after the requirements are lifted! Parents are texting me when they pull up outside, and I’m meeting them at the door with their child. BUH-BYE, now!
Ariana 03:20 PM 03-16-2020
Michael that is crazy

Costco has run out of chicken two days in a row now. If you know Costco chicken we are talking about 100 packs, maybe more leaving the store every day. Insane!

I drove to a town about 25 minutes away and found everything I needed. Even went to the drugstore and bought hair dye for my kids and there was no one there. Will be doing that from now on. Fun drive too
Blackcat31 04:14 PM 03-16-2020
MN just closed all restaurants and bars until March 27.
This includes bowling alleys, movie theaters, fitness clubs/gyms, cafes and bingo halls etc...

https://www.twincities.com/2020/03/1...pickup-are-ok/
CenterTeacher20 04:56 PM 03-16-2020
We aren't required to, but as of this morning have been checking temps upon arrival. Sent 2 kids home today before they even got their coats off. Crazy how parents either don't notice things or think we won't find out. I mean, we would have found out either way after a couple minutes of being with the child regardless. I'm super glad we decided to start doing this this week.
Michael 05:26 PM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
MN just closed all restaurants and bars until March 27.
This includes bowling alleys, movie theaters, fitness clubs/gyms, cafes and bingo halls etc...

https://www.twincities.com/2020/03/1...pickup-are-ok/
All of our reservation plans today for LA were canceled by the restaurants after the mayor’s orders. We ended up eating at a restaurant in Ventura county which is where we live north of LA country. We may not venture out after today.
Blackcat31 05:53 PM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by Michael:
All of our reservation plans today for LA were canceled by the restaurants after the mayor’s orders. We ended up eating at a restaurant in Ventura county which is where we live north of LA country. We may not venture out after today.
I get it but I still think there are too many leaks in the safety net/precautionary measures
The financial fallout will be disastrous for so many.
Too many.
Michael 06:16 PM 03-16-2020
I get it but I still think there are too many leaks in the safety net/precautionary measures
The financial fallout will be disastrous for so many.
Too many.
I get what you are saying- Most people will come in contact with COVID-19. I think as long as we can slow the rate of transmission, the better we have control of its consequences. Placing the travel ban on China in January probably gave us extra time. We would otherwise be the epicenter of coronavirus instead of Europe is now.

I've read where in northern Italy they are now having to considering who should be saved and who should not.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...al-bed/607807/
Blackcat31 06:34 PM 03-16-2020
I get what you are saying- Most people will come in contact with COVID-19. I think as long as we can slow the rate of transmission, the better we have control of its consequences. Placing the travel ban on China in January probably gave us extra time. We would otherwise be the epicenter of coronavirus instead of Europe is now.

I've read where in northern Italy they are now having to considering who should be saved and who should not.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...al-bed/607807/
It’s the small portion of careless people and practices that ruin it for everyone.
Scary times for every aspect of human life

It’s hard to comprehend from different perspectives too as you are so used to huge cities, frequent travel verses my life style for example.. I dont travel more than one state away often (bi-yearly) and see the same people day after day.

The impact in big metro areas is so different than in smaller communities
Ariana 12:03 PM 03-17-2020
The requirement here as well.
Ariana 12:06 PM 03-17-2020
Social distancing, closing restaurants, daycares, schools and any large gatherings is imperative right now. In Canada we are doing as much as we possibly can. In one week Italy went from 300 cases to 20,000. They did nothing to stop it. The idea is not to stop Covid19 but to slow it down so as not to burden the healthcare system. Flatten the curve is what they are calling it here.
flying_babyb 05:05 PM 03-17-2020
Our center in wi got called vital this morning! guess we will likely be open awhile. On that note most of our restraunts are take out only... I walked through the Mc.donalds drive through on my lunch break!
CenterTeacher20 05:51 PM 03-17-2020
This crisis is finally hitting me. Its real. I've had the *moment* and now my anxiety is through the roof!
Josiegirl 04:48 AM 03-18-2020
Headed out to my local supermarket this a.m., they open at 7 and I was hoping to beat most everybody else(and their germs). But the sign on the door says opening at 10. Life is definitely shifting, as we've known it. All state schools are closed now. I can't imagine the planning that has to go into something like that. And that all transfers to centers/daycares/jobs. I still get emails from the state, dc related and they mentioned yesterday, that only essential service families are to be served at the moment. I'm not sure how that will play out or if it'll change.

Activities and services have been cancelled or postponed everywhere here, from small groups to large. I truly hope America doesn't come to the place where we ALL have to self-isolate but maybe that'd be the quickest and best way to confront this. All it takes is 1 person who goes to the movies or a bar, not even knowing they're contagious.

My heart goes out to all those who still have to go into work every day, whether they're in the healthcare field or retail-oriented, or anywhere at all. Just think how many people a grocery store cashier sees every day?? And their pay is never much over minimum.

And Italy is currently showing us what our country could become in a week or 2 if we don't do every single thing we can do NOW to curtail this virus.

Stay healthy everyone!!!
Snowmom 07:01 AM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I truly hope America doesn't come to the place where we ALL have to self-isolate but maybe that'd be the quickest and best way to confront this.
It will.

I give it 3-5 more days. Because the stupid is real in this country.

I had to go to the drive thru to get my prescriptions yesterday and was ASTOUNDED at how many people are out! Teenagers running around the park together. Mom's side by side chatting with their strollers. Parking lots crammed pack full at stores. Restaurants that are closed are still doing pick ups and cars parked there-lined up to pick up dinners just chatting away with each other.

My friends posted in Iowa & WI with pictures of St Patty's celebrations were still happening in her town. She posted pictures of all these people gathered together with their green beer.
A relative (pilot) who JUST got back from a vacation in UK (with their kids) last weekend just had a birthday party Monday for their teenager. Of course, my SIL and her kids are partying it up there too.
Baby Beluga 07:21 AM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
It will.

I give it 3-5 more days. Because the stupid is real in this country.

I had to go to the drive thru to get my prescriptions yesterday and was ASTOUNDED at how many people are out! Teenagers running around the park together. Mom's side by side chatting with their strollers. Parking lots crammed pack full at stores. Restaurants that are closed are still doing pick ups and cars parked there-lined up to pick up dinners just chatting away with each other.

My friends posted in Iowa & WI with pictures of St Patty's celebrations were still happening in her town. She posted pictures of all these people gathered together with their green beer.
A relative (pilot) who JUST got back from a vacation in UK (with their kids) last weekend just had a birthday party Monday for their teenager. Of course, my SIL and her kids are partying it up there too.
I have a feeling it will too. If you (general you - thanks BC for the term ) has been watching they are rolling out restrictions in waves. They can't do it all at once. We get one restriction, then about 24 hours to process and adapt before another comes out. I give it a week before total lockdown, but truthfully I have been hearing Wednesday, today, for about a week now.
Josiegirl 08:36 AM 03-18-2020
I talked with my sister over the phone this a.m., about the grocery stores not opening until 10 today. She said 'what good will that do? More people will be crowded into less time'. And she was absolutely right. I went back down at 9:55 and people were lined up down the street to get into our little local supermarket. So I ventured a few miles down the road to a bigger store. Lots of parking but I could only find a couple things on my list. And forget cleaners, soups, breads, paper products, tuna, rice, that stuff is gone. Lots of wine left; too bad I don't drink wine.
Josiegirl 08:47 AM 03-18-2020
People have just got to stay put, best they can. No more restaurants, libraries, no unnecessary trips to the banks, thrift stores, post office, etc.,don't go anywhere in public unless you absolutely have to. I think my vet might be downsizing their case load as much as possible too because I drove by and there was only 1 car there as opposed to a parking lot filled.
Stay home, clean, play games, bake, call people, email, read, do puzzles, take walks and keep your distance. Stay healthy!!
storybookending 12:10 PM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by flying_babyb:
Our center in wi got called vital this morning! guess we will likely be open awhile. On that note most of our restraunts are take out only... I walked through the Mc.donalds drive through on my lunch break!
One day later and they are now restricting centers to 10 teachers and 50 children. This day by day is nonsense just bite the bullet and shut it all down, we all know it’s coming.
e.j. 01:12 PM 03-18-2020
I just heard the news that MA day cares have to close as of Monday, March 23. A few are staying open to provide care to health care workers but most have to close.

Came back to edit this reply. Got a message from EEC stating we have to stay closed until April 6.
happymom 02:24 PM 03-18-2020
Things are dang crazy.

My children's schools and daycare are closed. My job remains open for now. We had a big earthquake this morning and it's taken a lot of people's focus away from coronavirus. Things just feel so uncertain and it makes me uneasy.

I am feeling so heartbroken for everyone right now.
flying_babyb 04:55 PM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by storybookending:
One day later and they are now restricting centers to 10 teachers and 50 children. This day by day is nonsense just bite the bullet and shut it all down, we all know it’s coming.
Yea we know its comming! im blessed to be at a tiny center that on most days has 7 people and 30 kids. boss told us that if we have to close, she could keep us working at least another 3 days, a day of deep cleaning, a day of shed cleaning and a day to redo the playground
storybookending 07:22 PM 03-18-2020
Yea we know its comming! im blessed to be at a tiny center that on most days has 7 people and 30 kids. boss told us that if we have to close, she could keep us working at least another 3 days, a day of deep cleaning, a day of shed cleaning and a day to redo the playground
Thank goodness this will not affect you. I thought of you right away!
flying_babyb 05:08 PM 03-19-2020
Thank goodness this will not affect you. I thought of you right away!
aww thats so sweet! The state actually asked us today if we would consider going 24/7 to take essential persons kids! Most of the staff actually said they would! I would love to work nights (even overnights) again.
e.j. 06:15 PM 03-19-2020
This day by day is nonsense just bite the bullet and shut it all down, we all know it’s coming.
This is from an article in our local newspaper after the governor of my state (Charlie Baker) visited a lab today with the state's Secretary of Health and Human Services:
Secretary of Health and Human Services Marylou Sudders anticipates the state will have the ability to conduct 3,500 tests per day beginning early next week. Those tests are being done at the state lab and commercial labs, she said. "Our goal is to have as much testing capacity as possible," she said. Baker stressed the need to get to at least 3,500 tests a day at minimum.

3500 tests per day?! Maybe I'm showing my ignorance here but I'm wondering why our goal isn't to AVOID having to conduct 3500 tests per day!! Like you said, "Bite the bullet, shut it all down" and maybe we can all get back to some form of a normal life sooner rather than later.
Michael 12:36 AM 03-20-2020
We just found out today that governor Newsom is shutting down all nonessential businesses in the state of California. He also mentioned that up to 50% of those living in California could contract coronavirus over the next 8 weeks if they done stay at home. If that’s the case, it would be Armageddon here.

On a more positive note, I’ve been hearing that a common drug used to treat malaria named chloroquine looks very promising in treating COVID-19. Since it is already approved by the FDA, it doesn’t need testing. Supposedly doctors need guidelines from the CDC to protect them selves from liability before they can prescribe it. Here’s an article: https://www.bing.com/amp/s/www.nytim...quine.amp.html

Also, since this virus could overwhelm ICU and respirators, here is a video of a nurse that shows how one respirator can be used to treat up to 4 patients: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uClq978oohY
Josiegirl 03:09 AM 03-20-2020
You never realize how much you depend on your local services until they're no longer available. My vet called yesterday to cancel an upcoming appt. I had scheduled; only emergencies now. My dog has a couple chronic issues and I'd been holding off until she could be seen next week. So now I'm worried sick she'll need care and I won't be able to see anyone. I think I'm more worried for her than myself.
Jupadia 05:29 AM 03-20-2020
It's not daycare related but 8m keeping my fingers crossed ordered my kids new bed yesterday from IKEA for delivery. Had to do delivery since they closed the stores, and they dont accept gift cards for their click and collect. But right now with no kids comming had to use gift card even though delivery was extra. Of course we had just took apart my other kids crib / toddler bed and gave him the bigger boys twin bed. We are now painting the bigger ones room and he was sleeping camped out in our movie room. We planned to go get the bed in another week or so, but everything started closing, just bad timing. Of course I told my hubby just to go get it last monday or tuesday he put it off till Wednesday and bam the stores shut.
I just want my guy to have his new loft bed. As well if we all end up stuck at home I want my movie room back, and him to have his own space.
I know beds are needed but I hope they dont cancel delivery too at least before Sunday.
CeriBear 05:36 AM 03-20-2020
We are doing this as well. Parents are allowed to come to the door and a staff member will walk the child to the parent. We’ve been doing this for the past few days and most parents are very understanding.
We are also going to start checking temps as each child arrives. Upon arrival each child will be checked for a fever and anything close to 100 will be sent home even before entering. Staff members must also be checked.
MyAngels 10:40 AM 03-20-2020
I read this article yesterday. Based on what they're saying we've got a long way to go, and we may be going in the wrong direction with the whole social distancing rather than ramping up testing capacity so that everyone can get tested.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...avirus/608389/
flying_babyb 10:06 AM 03-21-2020
Originally Posted by CeridwenLynne:
We are doing this as well. Parents are allowed to come to the door and a staff member will walk the child to the parent. We’ve been doing this for the past few days and most parents are very understanding.
We are also going to start checking temps as each child arrives. Upon arrival each child will be checked for a fever and anything close to 100 will be sent home even before entering. Staff members must also be checked.
Good policy but it may be worth noting that some people run at a cooler temputure normally, like my normal is 97.6. If I hit 100, Im half dead. May be worth noting what is normal for each child.
dolores 11:08 AM 03-21-2020
I was informed today by one of my families that mom has the coronavirus and dcb has sniffles . We have been closed since Monday however the CDC says the virus is contagious 2-14 days after exposure. We are in a densely populated city which is being called the epicenter of the virus. It seems to me that once we leave our home or someone comes into ours, exposure is inevitable. As for kids in our care, social distancing and hands off face are impossible. Stay safe everyone
e.j. 11:25 AM 03-21-2020
Originally Posted by dolores:
I was informed today by one of my families that mom has the coronavirus and dcb has sniffles . We have been closed since Monday however the CDC says the virus is contagious 2-14 days after exposure. We are in a densely populated city which is being called the epicenter of the virus. It seems to me that once we leave our home or someone comes into ours, exposure is inevitable. As for kids in our care, social distancing and hands off face are impossible. Stay safe everyone
Oh, wow! That has to be weighing on your mind. I hope you and your family defy the odds and stay healthy. Is it just certain areas of NY that have been told to shelter in place or has the entire state been told?
Michael 11:33 AM 03-21-2020
Oh, wow! That has to be weighing on your mind. I hope you and your family defy the odds and stay healthy. Is it just certain areas of NY that have been told to shelter in place or has the entire state been told?
I believe like us here in California, New York has also closed down all nonessential business and gatherings.
https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/coro...soars/2335762/
Josiegirl 12:07 PM 03-21-2020
I believe like us here in California, New York has also closed down all nonessential business and gatherings.
There are way too many gaps everywhere, too many people still not heeding how contagious this is and how sick a person can get, how it can affect the compromised.

A former dcm posted a picture of her and her family on the beach. In Aruba. It took everything I had to not reply nastily back to her. It's like my niece and her dh; she just returned from flying to Texas, going through Logan while her dh flew to Sweden. Come on, it's way past the time to start hunkering down and getting serious about this. All of that will only serve to possibly expose more people.
dolores 12:33 PM 03-21-2020
The Mayor announced yesterday that nonessential businesses are required to close- grocery stores, gas stations can remain open. Interestingly, the State has not mandated family daycares to close and are actually encouraging us to remain open to take care of children of police officers, firefighters, healthcare workers etc and has suspended license capacity so it is ok if we take in more children than our license says we should. I chose to close when public schools did last Monday because the contagion is very real here.
e.j. 01:03 PM 03-21-2020
Thanks, Michael. I wish my state would follow suit before even more people get sick.

Originally Posted by dolores:
The Mayor announced yesterday that nonessential businesses are required to close- grocery stores, gas stations can remain open. Interestingly, the State has not mandated family daycares to close and are actually encouraging us to remain open to take care of children of police officers, firefighters, healthcare workers etc and has suspended license capacity so it is ok if we take in more children than our license says we should. I chose to close when public schools did last Monday because the contagion is very real here.
Given what's happened in China and Italy as well as other countries, I'm a little surprised the US isn't moving faster to stop the spread. FWIW, I think the decision to close was a good one.
dolores 01:04 PM 03-21-2020
Yep .
Unregistered 03:51 PM 03-21-2020
Originally Posted by Valerie928:
I am trying not to be. But social media has inflated this and made it so scary. Is stopping the virus/containing the spread worth it? Should we accept it into our lives and stop trying to stop it? To me, it seems like another flu virus or similar. Some people infected will recover quick, some not so much, some pass away. Just curious as to what you folks are thinking?
They are saying they are worried about not having enough space and supplies in the hospitals and that is why they are trying to stop the spread. That and all who are vulnerable who cannot handle this virus.
Valerie928 07:43 PM 03-21-2020
I often wonder if this virus has actually been here in the United states much longer than just the past few weeks? Being flu season, I wonder how many folks simply felt under the weather and dismissed it as a cold/flu. Think about it. A lot of people traveled to China in January/February.
Michael 10:02 PM 03-21-2020
This is junk science but I have a "theory" about this virus. I grows in the lower intestines. It's a bottom up infection as opposed to the normal top down illness like the cold or flu. It gains a foothold in the gut and quietly generates there in the perfect environment. The mucus buildup happens which prevents the intestines from absorbing water and protein. Dehydration occurs that is why people have a dry cough lacking mucus in the pathway. That usually the indicator that we are sick. But this virus does the opposite.

The mucus is propagating in the lower intestine and ultimately helps to overwhelm and bring down the lungs. That is why I believe Italians are getting hit harder. Many are living with gluten intolerance, which does what? It creates mucus, inflation and creates havoc in the gut.

One of the earliest signs of the virus is indigestion.

Coronavirus is finding the perfect host in obese, gluten-intolerant Italians. Look at the Italian family that got wiped out in NJ? They were hugely overweight.

I've cut out the gluten and sugar totally. I am doing the salt water flush when I can. https://www.healthline.com/health/salt-water-flush
Ariana 11:05 PM 03-21-2020
This is junk science but I have a "theory" about this virus. I grows in the lower intestines. It's a bottom up infection as opposed to the normal top down illness like the cold or flu. It gains a foothold in the gut and quietly generates there in the perfect environment. The mucus buildup happens which prevents the intestines from absorbing water and protein. Dehydration occurs that is why people have a dry cough lacking mucus in the pathway. That usually the indicator that we are sick. But this virus does the opposite.

The mucus is propagating in the lower intestine and ultimately helps to overwhelm and bring down the lungs. That is why I believe Italians are getting hit harder. Many are living with gluten intolerance, which does what? It creates mucus, inflation and creates havoc in the gut.

One of the earliest signs of the virus is indigestion.

Coronavirus is finding the perfect host in obese, gluten-intolerant Italians. Look at the Italian family that got wiped out in NJ? They were hugely overweight.

I've cut out the gluten and sugar totally. I am doing the salt water flush when I can. https://www.healthline.com/health/salt-water-flush
I think any kind of food intolerance can lower our ability to fight off virus so you definitely are on to something there. If the Ph of your gut is too low, it will not kill a virus. When the body is inflamed it is a perfect host for pathogens. Many obese people suffer from autoimmune disorders which in my opinion is food intolerances in disguise. They don’t absorb nutrients properly so feel hungry all the time and continue to eat. I myself am gluten intolerant and it took me a long time to figure it out. I have been gluten free since October. I also cut out sugar, alcohol and dairy. Dairy is a huge mucous contributer in the lungs.

The Italian population has a lot going on, aging population and huge smokers. Everyone in Europe smokes heavily and they smoke the kind of cigarettes without filters. Especially the older folks. I don’t know how much dairy they consume.
Ariana 11:08 PM 03-21-2020
Now it seems they are limiting groceries and people with big families are not allowed to do their typical grocery runs. A mom who is a vegetarian with 4 kids said she couldn’t buy more than one head of celery and lettuce etc.

I have not been out of my house since last Saturday and I am seriously dreading going out. It sounds like pandemonium. I have had a dry cough since last Sunday (no fever) so I really need to stay home.
Michael 01:50 AM 03-22-2020
Originally Posted by Ariana:
myself am gluten intolerant and it took me a long time to figure it out. I have been gluten free since October. I also cut out sugar, alcohol and dairy. Dairy is a huge mucous contributor in the lungs.
I would agree with all of this and dairy that is homogenized and pasteurized. But I eat raw dairy with all of the live enzymes. Raw dairy is good for me.

Now it seems they are limiting groceries and people with big families are not allowed to do their typical grocery runs. A mom who is a vegetarian with 4 kids said she couldn’t buy more than one head of celery and lettuce etc.

I have not been out of my house since last Saturday and I am seriously dreading going out. It sounds like pandemonium. I have had a dry cough since last Sunday (no fever) so I really need to stay home.
I had to go out to several grocery stores yesterday. They are wiping down everything in the store. Most a rationing certain foods like meats, milk, eggs etc. They are also letting in so many people and you have to wait in line until someone checks out and them you can go inside and shop. I see older people, Asians and some young people wearing face masks but most are not. Some people make an effort to stay away from you. It is rather odd but people are scared here. The Governor asked the President to place one of the Navy's floating hospitals to be docked outside LA. I guess they feel the sick could overwhelm the hospitals here.
Josiegirl 08:38 AM 03-22-2020
I've given up trying to find hand sanitizer and disinfectant wipes. But I haven't been able to find bread for 10 days anyplace. Not even frozen bread dough. I might have to start baking it.
I guess I'm extremely lucky in that most everything else seems to be in 'good enough' supply still. They are cutting down hours in most stores but have yet to limit # of customers at a time, etc. I feel so bad for all the shelf stockers, cashiers, etc., and you KNOW they're not earning what they should be getting paid.

PLEASE, all of you...if you're sick, get well and if you're not, stay healthy!! Wishing all the care-givers during this crisis, extra patience, understanding, love, and time to take care of yourselves too!! The work you're doing right now, is especially important in keeping many people at their jobs, to keep everything running as smoothly as possible. And may you all have enough toilet paper to see this through.
flying_babyb 09:28 AM 03-22-2020
I went out yesterday to the book store (totally not a need but the bookstore i like is taking huge percations), dollar tree and big lots. Big lots was still pretty well stocked, saw lots of the stuff I usally buy (but no tea tree oil shampoo the whole reason i went there). Dollar tree still had most stuff. Cvs had diapers and wipes and so did big lots. The only thing I couldnt find? Hydrogen Peroxide. (I got a wicked nose ring infection).
Ariana 03:44 PM 03-22-2020
I've given up trying to find hand sanitizer and disinfectant wipes. But I haven't been able to find bread for 10 days anyplace. Not even frozen bread dough. I might have to start baking it.
I guess I'm extremely lucky in that most everything else seems to be in 'good enough' supply still. They are cutting down hours in most stores but have yet to limit # of customers at a time, etc. I feel so bad for all the shelf stockers, cashiers, etc., and you KNOW they're not earning what they should be getting paid.

PLEASE, all of you...if you're sick, get well and if you're not, stay healthy!! Wishing all the care-givers during this crisis, extra patience, understanding, love, and time to take care of yourselves too!! The work you're doing right now, is especially important in keeping many people at their jobs, to keep everything running as smoothly as possible. And may you all have enough toilet paper to see this through.
Good luck finding flour if you want to bake it. Everyone is having to bake bread now and we were lucky that we had a big bag from Christmas break. We can make about 6-8 loaves with what we have. Sooooo annoying. We keep getting the message that the food supply chain is strong and that grocery store clerks are “heroes” for doing nothing more than stocking shelves...so why isn’t the food on the shelves
flying_babyb 06:28 PM 03-22-2020
Try your local big lots for flour! I got a 5 pound bag for under $3 and they had about 5 more. Plus my coworker got me 2 of the 2 pound bags at the grocery. I plan to make bread and do my easter baking
Josiegirl 03:18 AM 03-23-2020
I did manage to find a little bit of flour; made peanut butter cookies. All this stress eating and staying in isn't helping anything.

I asked the cashier when the best time to catch the bread on shelves and she said it's been hit or miss; delivery has been very inconsistent. I went to Price Chopper yesterday and as I drove in, the bread truck was driving out. I thought for sure I'd time it perfectly. By the time I got to the bread aisle, it still had zero on it.

Talked with my sister last night and she and her dh are still going to a whole bunch of places. She said she probably shouldn't be but............yeh, really?? She's 75, her dh is 80 with a whole host of health issues. Seems everybody is in denial in one way or another. I have offered repeatedly to get her stuff so she doesn't have to go into public places.
Baby Beluga 08:16 AM 03-23-2020
It is super scary out. I have not ventured out in about 7 days. I have to go out either Tuesday or Wednesday for produce, and have to admit I am leery of doing it. That's IF I can even find any produce.

I am both interested and scared to see how this is going to change society as it amps up and then settles down.

Good luck finding flour if you want to bake it. Everyone is having to bake bread now and we were lucky that we had a big bag from Christmas break. We can make about 6-8 loaves with what we have. Sooooo annoying. We keep getting the message that the food supply chain is strong and that grocery store clerks are “heroes” for doing nothing more than stocking shelves...so why isn’t the food on the shelves
Flour, yeast and baking powder are so hard to come by!
I am part of a FB group with people from all over the world. They are mailing yeast to one another if they find it
Blackcat31 08:40 AM 03-23-2020
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
It is super scary out. I have not ventured out in about 7 days. I have to go out either Tuesday or Wednesday for produce, and have to admit I am leery of doing it. That's IF I can even find any produce.

I am both interested and scared to see how this is going to change society as it amps up and then settles down.

Flour, yeast and baking powder are so hard to come by!
I am part of a FB group with people from all over the world. They are mailing yeast to one another if they find it
The lack of certain things in other areas has me more freaked out than anything as my community hasn't really had a major issue with not being able to buy items but that means people are traveling from ALL over to come here to buy things they can't get at "home".

I get it, but it makes me scared that they are bringing germs etc from elsewhere and it makes the people in my own community to want to stock up on things when we don't yet know if it's necessary. kwim?

I stood in line yesterday at my local grocery store next to a man from Ohio. He said he traveled up here to buy things for several of his neighbors back home. He literally had 2 full carts of basics. My thoughts are so conflicted on that.
Baby Beluga 09:05 AM 03-23-2020
The lack of certain things in other areas has me more freaked out than anything as my community hasn't really had a major issue with not being able to buy items but that means people are traveling from ALL over to come here to buy things they can't get at "home".

I get it, but it makes me scared that they are bringing germs etc from elsewhere and it makes the people in my own community to want to stock up on things when we don't yet know if it's necessary. kwim?

I stood in line yesterday at my local grocery store next to a man from Ohio. He said he traveled up here to buy things for several of his neighbors back home. He literally had 2 full carts of basics. My thoughts are so conflicted on that.
I absolutely agree. I read on FB that one person's spouse went to 5 different stores looking for yeast. I understand the need for yeast, BUT one person going to 5 different stores is a lot of exposure. The person traveling. The family that person is going home to. The employees at the stores and whoever they are returning home to as well as the patrons in the stores and the people in their household.
Michael 11:10 AM 03-23-2020
Had to go to 4 stores here yesterday here in Westlake Village and a Thousand Oaks, CA to find what I needed. Some stores have waiting lines to get in. Only so many are allowed in at a time and certain food items are rationed to two. There is usually a worker sitting outside that wipes down your shopping cart with sanitizer. Inside workers are constantly cleaning the check-out stations including the moving product strip and the dividers we use to separate our goods from the person in front of you, credit card station and everything that you would touch there.

None of the workers are using gloves or face masks.

I went by my local police and fire departments offering to donate two large boxes of n95 masks. They said they were fully stocked and didn’t need them.
Valerie928 11:36 AM 03-23-2020
Had to go to 4 stores here yesterday here in Westlake Village and a Thousand Oaks, CA to find what I needed. Some stores have waiting lines to get in. Only so many are allowed in at a time and certain food items are rationed to two. There is usually a worker sitting outside that wipes down your shopping cart with sanitizer. Inside workers are constantly cleaning the check-out stations including the moving product strip and the dividers we use to separate our goods from the person in front of you, credit card station and everything that you would touch there.

None of the workers are using gloves or face masks.

I went by my local police and fire departments offering to donate two large boxes of n95 masks. They said they were fully stocked and didn’t need them.
Wait......they didn't need them? I thought there was a mass shortage.
Michael 11:55 AM 03-23-2020
Wait......they didn't need them? I thought there was a mass shortage.
I guess the governor had asked the President for help and he said they got everything they needed. Maybe the masks were supplied to the state. The first states that had the problems are probably in good shape supplywise since they were the ones that got all of the attention.
e.j. 12:12 PM 03-23-2020
By any chance are you willing to ship them to MA if you can't find anyone who can use them locally? My brother is a paramedic who no longer works on the ambulance but does work in some type of management/training position. His wife is a nurse who works in a relatively small hospital. He told me on Saturday things are getting stressful where they both work because they're running out of supplies and having to reuse masks.
Cat Herder 12:41 PM 03-23-2020
By any chance are you willing to ship them to MA if you can't find anyone who can use them locally? My brother is a paramedic who no longer works on the ambulance but does work in some type of management/training position. His wife is a nurse who works in a relatively small hospital. He told me on Saturday things are getting stressful where they both work because they're running out of supplies and having to reuse masks.
Same on medical helicopters.
e.j. 01:00 PM 03-23-2020
Same on medical helicopters.

I'm not sure if they've received more supplies by now but a couple of large hospitals in Boston were on the news because their supplies were getting to critical levels. One larger hospital closer to me said they had about a 2 day supply left. That was as of Saturday. Not sure what their status is right now.
Michael 01:27 PM 03-23-2020
Yes, Private Message me the information.
Ariana 03:08 PM 03-23-2020

Exactly! We are doing this right now. I have a cold so my asthmatic husband is having to do the grocery shopping. We figure the town 30 min away is a safer bet for exposure AND product in stock. We tried doing the click and collect in town but the wait is a week and they don’t have certain stuff in stock. I haven’t had a salad in 5 days because I am avoiding the stores. I am really hating the stress from all of this and think the grocery food chain could be doing more to stock shelves.

I feel guilty asking volunteers to help . Why did I have to get sick right now. So stressful.
Cat Herder 04:25 PM 03-23-2020
My state just went to no more than 10 people on the premises for home providers. That includes DCK's, family members and providers, total.

This includes the centers that just took in school-agers. No more than 10 people per room "self-contained". Age ratios still apply. Seems a lot of people will be out of childcare tomorrow at lunchtime.
e.j. 05:09 PM 03-23-2020
Yes, Private Message me the information.
Thanks so much, Michael! I checked with my brother just now. His company just got a shipment in just today and it sounds as though my sil's hospital also got one in, too. I would imagine if they got supplies in, the larger hospitals probably did, too. Maybe CH has some info on the medical helicopters she mentioned. Thanks, again. Offering those masks is such a generous thing to do.
Cat Herder 05:11 PM 03-23-2020
Thanks so much, Michael! I checked with my brother just now. His company just got a shipment in just today and it sounds as though my sil's hospital also got one in, too. I would imagine if they got supplies in, the larger hospitals probably did, too. Maybe CH has some info on the medical helicopters she mentioned. Thanks, again. Offering those masks is such a generous thing to do.
That I do. My husbands bases are desperate.
Valerie928 05:30 PM 03-23-2020

I live in NY, the worst state by far for infection...but, I have a family to feed so grocery shop I must. My near by grocery store was pretty bare last week 1/2 ago when all the panic began. But as people around here have come to realize, we are not going to run out of food and the world is not going to end, there was a big change today in the store. Things were stocking up nicely, the parking lot was normal.
A kind lady was disinfecting carts. It still creeps me out but I guess it is what it is right now.
Michael 07:36 PM 03-23-2020
Here is my take on this crisis. Again, this is my "opinion". I've been watching this virus since January. There are several drugs that are very promising for "treating" COVID-19. Many have been very successful especially hydroxychloroquine which is used for Malaria, lupus and arthritis and is already approved by the FDA. The president has been pushing hard to get these into hospitals but the scientists and health officials have been trying to take the slow and safe path to study it with clinical trials and peer review. Someone must have gotten through to the CDC and FDA because New York will now start using it on Tuesday in hospitals on those who have been admitted with the virus. https://www.forbes.com/sites/lisette.../#487cb1c54203

That's a game-changer in my opinion. I believe over the next week we will see in real-time whether this combo of drugs will be very effective in "treating" the virus. That alone will give hope that there is a path forward. We will then have time to get a vaccine to the public.

In Trump's press meeting today he basically said -we have these new drugs that are being used in New York. If they are shown to be effective, we are going to go back to business as usual in a couple weeks and manage it as we would the flu. Yes, people will die but it’s not gonna be any different than the flu or any other disease that kills people in America. Those that are going to die, will die. We can now treat this. Let's get back to work.
Jupadia 05:26 AM 03-24-2020
Ontario Canada is now closing all non essential business as of tonight.

But they are listing home daycares both lincened who are allowed 6 kids and the unlicensed ones who are allowed 5 kids to remain open. We may care for clients of our chosse. Also daycares that have been reopened by city / province to provide care for emergency personnel children. These centers are a couple government / city run ones.

Though in parts of eastern Ontario the regional authorities have ordered home daycares to close.

Right now this would have been good news but all my kids are already out so I'm already closed since no one is comming.
Annalee 05:54 AM 03-24-2020
We receive an email every day since this started from the State and mine yesterday said to move forward as usual unless someone is diagnosed with the virus within our program. So I look for us to remain open as the curve seems to be under control. I'm hoping everything gets back to normal soon. I do not see the schools going back this academic year but we shall see.
Snowmom 06:32 AM 03-24-2020
Before disinfecting procedures on Princess Cruise Ships (Diamond & Grand), CV19 survived on cabin surfaces for 17 days!
The science of this virus is going to be quite amazing for researchers.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/23/cdc-...GNcNoDvGQQH0WE
Annalee 06:59 AM 03-24-2020
Here is my take on this crisis. Again, this is my "opinion". I've been watching this virus since January. There are several drugs that are very promising for "treating" COVID-19. Many have be very successful especially hydroxychloroquine which is used for Malaria, lupus and arthritis and is already approved by the FDA. The president has been pushing hard to get these into hospitals but the scientists and health officials have been trying to take the slow and safe path to study it with clinical trials and peer review. Someone must have gotten through to the CDC and FDA because New York will now start using it on Tuesday in hospitals on those who have been admitted with the virus. https://www.forbes.com/sites/lisette.../#487cb1c54203

That's a game-changer in my opinion. I believe over the next week we will see in real-time whether this combo of drugs will be very effective in "treating" the virus. That alone will give hope that there is a path forward. We will then have time to get a vaccine to the public.

In Trump's press meeting today he basically said -we have these new drugs that are being used in New York. If they are shown to be effective, we are going to go back to business as usual in a couple weeks and manage it as we would the flu. Yes, people will die but it’s not gonna be any different than the flu or any other disease that kills people in America. Those that are going to die, will die. We can now treat this. Let's get back to work.

Valerie928 07:35 AM 03-24-2020
Here is my take on this crisis. Again, this is my "opinion". I've been watching this virus since January. There are several drugs that are very promising for "treating" COVID-19. Many have be very successful especially hydroxychloroquine which is used for Malaria, lupus and arthritis and is already approved by the FDA. The president has been pushing hard to get these into hospitals but the scientists and health officials have been trying to take the slow and safe path to study it with clinical trials and peer review. Someone must have gotten through to the CDC and FDA because New York will now start using it on Tuesday in hospitals on those who have been admitted with the virus. https://www.forbes.com/sites/lisette.../#487cb1c54203

In NY here, my fingers are crossed!
MomBoss 09:40 AM 03-24-2020
I really think the medicine is going to work! Africa has fewer cases and I believe its because most are on the medication already. When my husband lived in Africa he had malaria many times and said the drug is super powerful.
Annalee 09:42 AM 03-24-2020
Originally Posted by MomBoss:
I really think the medicine is going to work! Africa has fewer cases and I believe its because most are on the medication already. When my husband lived in Africa he had malaria many times and said the drug is super powerful.
Praying the meds work
Ac114 02:17 PM 03-24-2020
I just came dropped by to say hi! We’re in a shelter in place order here in Ohio. Any and all
Daycares, in home; licensed and licensed must apply for a pandemic license which allows children of essential workers only. 6 children per room, period. And parents have to have paperwork from work stating they are an essential employee. I decided to close this week and next week and not apply for the license. Everyone stay safe and healthy!!
Josiegirl 02:19 PM 03-24-2020
Let's hope that article is right Michael and it does become the miracle drug for this illness.
I'll remain skeptical until proven.

In the meantime, I'm glad the state of Washington is going to make all non-essential workers stay home, starting in about 36 hrs. My dd lives in Seattle and I've been worried sick about her. She said her job isn't easily done from home but hopefully she can manage, at least for a short while.
Michael 02:38 PM 03-24-2020
Originally Posted by MomBoss:
That’s fascinating info. Thank you. I posted about it on Facebook. https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...11&ref=m_notif
Michael 03:31 PM 03-24-2020
That I do. My husbands bases are desperate.
He’ll get them on Thursday
flying_babyb 04:34 PM 03-24-2020
Well were on shelter on place now. Daycare is considered essential. Were staying open. So far I'm staying healthy, did go home w a migrange
Michael 07:56 PM 03-24-2020
Well were on shelter on place now. Daycare is considered essential. Were staying open. So far I'm staying healthy, did go home w a migrange
They should be considered essential. We have an article published on Daycare.com about it. https://www.daycare.com/news/daycare...ronavirus.html
Jo123ABC 08:38 PM 03-24-2020
I talked to my cousin, an actual human in the medical field. She is a pediatric nurse practitioner and works in the PICU at our largest children's hospital here in my city. I asked her if she is worried about the virus. She said compare it to the flu minus a vaccine. Just wash your hands and do your best to stay healthy.
I personally don't think all this quarantine stuff is worth it. It's just delaying the spread.
I disagree and think the social distancing is worth it. There need to be doctors, nurses, and equipment ready for those who need it. If everyone gets sick at the same time medical professionals won't be able to keep up.
Michael 10:43 PM 03-24-2020
I talked to my cousin, an actual human in the medical field. She is a pediatric nurse practitioner and works in the PICU at our largest children's hospital here in my city. I asked her if she is worried about the virus. She said compare it to the flu minus a vaccine. Just wash your hands and do your best to stay healthy.
I personally don't think all this quarantine stuff is worth it. It's just delaying the spread.
Originally Posted by Jo123ABC:
I disagree and think the social distancing is worth it. There need to be doctors, nurses, and equipment ready for those who need it. If everyone gets sick at the same time medical professionals won't be able to keep up.
I agree with both of you. It important that we slow the spread. If we could manage this disease with medicine and healthcare like any other treatable disease we could get back to living life normally. Everyone in the world has contracted the cold or flu by a young age, this should be no different. Currently it is our boogeyman. There is hope that the trials which started yesterday in New York using hydrochloraguine will be one of the drugs which will be effective. These next two weeks will tell us a lot.

If the flu did not have a vaccine, and we were counting every death and infection, it would look similar. We need treatment and a vaccine.

Every year the common flu mutates as a killer of up to 40,000 a year in the US. We manage it even with those mortality rates.
Cat Herder 03:42 AM 03-25-2020
He’ll get them on Thursday
Thank you!!! It will make such a huge difference here until the supply chain gets re-established.
e.j. 08:30 AM 03-25-2020
Originally Posted by Jo123ABC:
Dr. Fauci has said that COVID-19 is 10 times more lethal than the seasonal flu and that it spreads faster:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/11/top-...in-the-us.html

Since we don't have a vaccine or a cure for Coronavirus yet, it seems well worth it to me to take social distancing seriously.
Second Home 10:41 AM 03-31-2020
Yesterday it was announced that a one month old baby has tested positive , this is in addition to the 10 month old and 5 yr old.
daycarediva 10:49 AM 03-31-2020
Speaking with the local department of health agent this week after I had to chase them down to notify them of possible spread. This is NOT 'the flu' it is a viral pneumonia.

She said that the local health offices opinions are that since they are only tested the worst case scenarios, the mortality statistic is skewed a bit. There aren't enough tests to administer unless the person needs medical intervention. Many people are not even seeking treatment/diagnosis because they are asymptomatic or have mild symptoms.

My friend's 12 year old with severe asthma spent one night under observation after she tested positive and went home the next morning. She's recovering nicely. Same thing happens every time she gets the flu, too. Now Mom thinks it's 100% media hype and I have to tell her I'm too busy to chat because she is straight conspiracy theory crazy rn.

That being said, I'm still not taking any chances as a young-ish healthy adult. Social distancing is an easy thing to do. I'm already 80% hermit anyway. (Cancelled plans? YAY)
Valerie928 01:14 PM 03-31-2020
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Speaking with the local department of health agent this week after I had to chase them down to notify them of possible spread. This is NOT 'the flu' it is a viral pneumonia.

She said that the local health offices opinions are that since they are only tested the worst case scenarios, the mortality statistic is skewed a bit. There aren't enough tests to administer unless the person needs medical intervention. Many people are not even seeking treatment/diagnosis because they are asymptomatic or have mild symptoms.

My friend's 12 year old with severe asthma spent one night under observation after she tested positive and went home the next morning. She's recovering nicely. Same thing happens every time she gets the flu, too. Now Mom thinks it's 100% media hype and I have to tell her I'm too busy to chat because she is straight conspiracy theory crazy rn.

That being said, I'm still not taking any chances as a young-ish healthy adult. Social distancing is an easy thing to do. I'm already 80% hermit anyway. (Cancelled plans? YAY)
I had to laugh when you said "cancelled plans, yay".........I am the exact same. I like being home. I only go out 1× week now because I have to buy food for my family. But now that the virus is everywhere I may do online/grocery pick up.
Josiegirl 02:46 PM 03-31-2020
Originally Posted by daycarediva:

Ugh there are *still* people who don't believe this virus is more of a killer than anything else that's ever passed across the planet? Stupid stupid. Yes, the whole world has been upended for no reason.
And I'm a hermit too. I love it when there are no people around. It's very stressful when there are. Actually, there are maybe 3-4 people, besides my 3 adult kids, that I love spending any time with. The rest of humanity can lengthen that social distance wayyyyy out.
Michael 03:31 PM 03-31-2020
Ugh there are *still* people who don't believe this virus is more of a killer than anything else that's ever passed across the planet? Stupid stupid.
EBOLA is a mind-blogging killer and far more deadly. It is contagious when it is apparent. COVID-19 is spreading because its not apparent. At some point this will be managed as any other disease is. It is more virulent than the flu but its structure is consistent which means each year's vaccines will be able to project and control it. The advances we see now against COVID-19 are coming from our previous successes with SARS. https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1...882v2.full.pdf
Valerie928 03:51 PM 03-31-2020
Ugh there are *still* people who don't believe this virus is more of a killer than anything else that's ever passed across the planet? Stupid stupid. Yes, the whole world has been upended for no reason.
And I'm a hermit too. I love it when there are no people around. It's very stressful when there are. Actually, there are maybe 3-4 people, besides my 3 adult kids, that I love spending any time with. The rest of humanity can lengthen that social distance wayyyyy out.
This is not the deadliest thing humans have encountered. There are other far more devastating things.
Michael 10:04 AM 04-01-2020
Same store, same meat display two weeks later. Everyone had panicked here and overbought. At the time I thought that these stores, two weeks later, would have food sitting on the shelves that no one needed. Now, No more restrictions on how much you can buy. I can understand people needing more food since they are home and not going to restaurants but someone needs to explain why there is no toilet paper or any other paper products. I’m fortunate bought enough supplies for several months back when life was normal.
Attached: F1315BD6-DD97-414F-8FB1-37E8FF1AC6B1.jpg (198.0 KB) B538DC9D-CC0F-4E99-9975-017AD27C6E37.jpg (187.2 KB) 
Blackcat31 12:37 PM 04-01-2020
Holy cow! $4.99/lb for ground beef?

It’s about $3.25 here for same
Blackcat31 12:41 PM 04-01-2020
Our grocery stores in my area are locally owned. The family that owns them are hoarders in a way so they’ve managed to keep all the shelves full. Thank goodness
Michael 12:52 PM 04-01-2020
Holy cow! $4.99/lb for ground beef?

It’s about $3.25 here for same
You should be a detective. You have an inquisitive mind. Don’t get me going on how expensive everything is here. They tax “everything”. Gas is still $3-$4 a gallon.
Josiegirl 03:14 AM 04-02-2020
This is not the deadliest thing humans have encountered. There are other far more devastating things.
Ok fine, that's true but we haven't seen the end of it either.
Blackcat31 06:13 AM 04-02-2020
Gas is still $3-$4 a gallon.
Gas here is less than $2/gallon.
I think today it's $1.85

Things are definitely more expensive over your way.... I am floored at some of the prices I've seen in photos of empty store selves people have posted.
Tags:bats, cdc, coronavirus, covid-19, infrared, medical terminology, mers-cov, mrsa, pandemic, pandemic - contract, sars-cov-2, world health organization, zoonosis
1 2 3 4 
Reply Up