Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Something Wrong?
Unregistered 01:10 PM 06-19-2020
Signed out for privacy.

I have a 4.5 yo that has been in my care for around 3 years. She started when she was just over 1 year old. She's really smart and kind. There is something off maybe though. I'm afraid to say anything to her parents because I'm not a Dr and it could be nothing and I don't want to scare them over something that is possibly nothing nor do I want to make them mad. It doesn't feel like my place but i keep wondering when/if they're going to notice. Here are the things that are off/different from the many other children I've cared for:

1. Spacing out frequently (like she is staring off in space daydreaming)
2. Drunk-like walk (this has gotten better with age! She used to sort of sway and roll/bounce off the walls on her way through the house. Not like stumbling or falling really just a foot dragging slow gait that's erratic. She still walks different... Sometimes she still walks into walls because she's spacing out while walking)
3. Lack of fine motor skills (she has trouble with zippers, holding small things, using silverware, etc)
4. Tremor (this is my biggest red flag. She shakes while picking at her food with her hands. She shakes while holding silverware. She shakes while holding small toys but especially little bugs, etc.
5. Slurring speech (also trouble with r, s, ch sounds. It sounds like she has something in her mouth while she talks. Often her mouth is open a little and she "rests" her tongue out a bit)
6. Concentration problems (she can only count to 3 and doesn't know her ABCs even though we practice ABCs every time she washes her hands so at least 10xs per day 5 days per week. And she does remember to start the abc song on her own and wants to know it but can never get past g. Yet she can tell you some crazy science facts like the proper name of a specific dragonfly

Is it just her personality or should I be concerned?
Cat Herder 01:23 PM 06-19-2020
At this point, the school system can and will be involved. She will be tested during her kindergarten assessment for placement. They can then get her the services if she needs.
Snowmom 03:17 PM 06-19-2020
Yes, I'd be concerned too.

You mentioned she's 4.5. What are the plans for the upcoming school year? Have the parents mentioned if she'd be going to kinder or preschool? Are they planning another year with you?

That would be my first discussion with the parents. Most schools want to do an eval around age 3 within the school district. They would likely catch on to any obvious disabilities that they could qualify for assistance with. Has she done one?

Beyond that. I would possibly do a preschool evaluation with her. There are many formats you could do. There are some basic ones out there for free. Some more extensive ones you can buy too. Reach out to me if you want mine. This would at least call attention to the areas she needs assistance in.
LittleExplorers 06:29 PM 06-19-2020
Have you asked the parents about the tremors? I would do that. Kids often times spend more hours awake in care than at home. When my kids were in daycare I would have wanted to know. I would ask ablur the stupor walk too. Just a simple, have you noticed this...

They may have and be in denial, asked their doctor who isn't concerned, or they may not have noticed.
e.j. 08:32 PM 06-19-2020
Originally Posted by LittleExplorers:
Have you asked the parents about the tremors? I would do that. Kids often times spend more hours awake in care than at home. When my kids were in daycare I would have wanted to know. I would ask ablur the stupor walk too. Just a simple, have you noticed this...

They may have and be in denial, asked their doctor who isn't concerned, or they may not have noticed.
I'd be concerned, too. I would ask the parents if they've observed the things you've mentioned and if they haven't noticed it or they have and never mentioned it to their pediatrician, I would suggest they do that. It may be nothing but it would probably be best just to have it checked out. I'd also try to take a video of the walk you described so you not only have it to show them what you're talking about but, they can also use it to show their pediatrician.
284878 06:24 AM 06-20-2020
First, record her. Second make a clear plan on how to talk to the parents. Third schedule a conference with them.

As I read through your post, several conditions pop into my head. Like focal epilepsy, head trauma, or other brain conditions.

Not to be mean, but If you wait for the school to catch it, word may get around that you missed these things, even though you didn't.
CeriBear 07:03 AM 06-20-2020
I think you should mention your concerns to the parents. The dragging gait and the tremors would have me very worried too.
Unregistered 10:14 AM 06-22-2020
It sounds to me like she could have autism. In some autistics the motor skills are slow to develop and some of them have speech difficulties. The reason I have a feeling this girl might be autistic is the random scientific fact she shared with you, not a lot of children her age would know the scientific name for a dragonfly. She obviously would have to be assessed for it. Hope this helps you.
mooseriot 06:59 PM 06-29-2020
Yes something is definitely off. I would ask if her pediatrician has recommended any therapies like OT or speech to help her out. Many of my kids have issues and they were screened through their peds and they would have their sessions at their house or in my space.

I have had Autistic children who needed OT to help find their bodies in a way since they’re not really aware of where their bodies are in the beginning and they flop around and maybe she needs that kind of help.
Tags:asq, assessment checklist - kindergarten, assessment sample, milestones - questionaire, milestones - questionnaire, milestones - speech
Reply Up