Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>School Age Drop in Question, School Bus Question
WImom 08:08 AM 07-15-2010
I have a few people looking for before school only care. I'm thinking I should do it as drop in only right? I'm new so having some kids is better then none and actually these are kids my own children already know and I know. I don't plan on being full this year and these kids would be on the bus by 8:00am anyway (None of them need after school or days off since they all have older siblings in middle school)

Questions is - should I do as drop in or regular contract? Or is there a such things as a school age contract?

Also for these kids and any others I might have in my childcare that attend our school. I'm on our School bus line (my kids ride the bus) so normally would these kids be able to ride even if they don't live on the bus line but go to the school? Do I call the bus company or is it the parents responsibility to find out? I'm trying to word it in my contract which is why I ask.
GretasLittleFriends 08:44 AM 07-15-2010
IMO there is a difference between drop ins and regulars. If this child/ren is going to be at your house in the mornings on a regular schedule I'd put them on a regular contract. Now what you charge them considering it sounds like they are not full time (30 or whatever hours a week), may be at a drop-in or part-time rate.

As far as the bus ride goes, I'd call the bus garage and let them know you are a day care home and that there may be extra children getting on and/or off the bus at your home. Hopefully it's a regular schedule that would make life easier for everyone. It is the parents duty to specifically inform the school and/or bus garage what their intentions for their children are.

One other thought. You may want to get clarification, if you haven't already, where these school aged children would go on an early release day (such as closing for inclement weather). If the parents' intentions are that the child should come to your home it should be listed in their emergency packet at school at the beginning of the year.

It can be very frustrating when: the temps are in the single digits and a huge storm is coming, wind chill is <0, school decides to close at 10am, you're expecting Johnny to get off the bus at your house with your kids as his parents are at work but he doesn't get off the bus because the school sent him home as that's what the emergency sheet said to do. You are torn, do you have someone come watch your kids and rescue Johnny from the frigid dangerous weather, do you call the school and inform them that Johnny's parents are at work and he is going home to a locked house. Of course all this is after you immediately call the parents and inform them about the situation. (Personal experience)

Sorry for the tangent, but hope this helps.
AfterSchoolMom 04:35 PM 07-15-2010
At the beginning of each school year, the school usually sends out or requires paperwork regarding how each child will be arriving and leaving school. Our school gives it out on "meet the teacher day" (generally a week or two before school starts). Each parent should fill out a form stating your bus route number or bus number and neighborhood, and send it in to the school. Make sure that the parents are all aware of this. On the first day you can give the bus driver a heads up, but other than that, I wouldn't worry about it too much!
WImom 04:55 PM 07-15-2010
Thanks. Not sure how this whole bus thing works. We are moving next week and now my kids will ride the bus (We were across the street from the school before).
momofboys 05:04 AM 07-20-2010
Originally Posted by WImom:
I have a few people looking for before school only care. I'm thinking I should do it as drop in only right? I'm new so having some kids is better then none and actually these are kids my own children already know and I know. I don't plan on being full this year and these kids would be on the bus by 8:00am anyway (None of them need after school or days off since they all have older siblings in middle school)

Questions is - should I do as drop in or regular contract? Or is there a such things as a school age contract?

Also for these kids and any others I might have in my childcare that attend our school. I'm on our School bus line (my kids ride the bus) so normally would these kids be able to ride even if they don't live on the bus line but go to the school? Do I call the bus company or is it the parents responsibility to find out? I'm trying to word it in my contract which is why I ask.
At my school at meet the teacher/orientation day for students the school bus drivers are there so you can meet them & let them know your child will be riding to the childcare proivder's home. Also, as another poster mentioned typically the school will have parents fill out a form noting that child is to be dropped off or picked up from the provider's home. I would make sure your parents know that it is THEIR responsibility to notify the school.
TGT09 05:20 AM 07-20-2010
I have different prices for drop-in's and before/after school care.
Tags:drop in care, school-age
Reply Up