Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Late Pick Up During Trial Period
JenNJ 03:15 PM 08-28-2012
No text, no phone call, no email. Parent was 20 minutes late and NO APOLOGY. I am considering terminating care. We are still in the 2 week trial period, so I can terminate care for any reason.

Anyone have any experience with this?
daycarediva 03:28 PM 08-28-2012
What is your late policy? I would definitely make a copy of the handbook and highlight that policy and say that from that day on, they would be expected to follow the rules. I had this happen with one dcf, but Mom put the time she got out of work on the forms, not the actual pick up time. Problem solved!
nanglgrl 03:37 PM 08-28-2012
That's what my trial period is for. If they don't put on their best face and respect you then they are never going to. If they had called ahead of the pick up time to say they were running late or apologized profusely when they arrived I would talk with them and probably give them a second chance in your case she didnt even say she was sorry so neither should you be when you terminate her.
providerandmomof4 04:08 PM 08-28-2012
I have a hard time if parents are nice by calling or giving me a sad story, then I always bend. However I did have one family that I termed because they were cont late. At first dcd would say he was sorry and give me a story. My late notice letter was given to him. Then, he started being late and not saying sorry, just swooshing the kids out the door with a thank you. And the very best was one day when he was two hours late and told me he was taking a nap and overslept. Wow...my dcd had to miss gymnastics because you were late and you were taking a nap? I told him that too... in a term letter....
cheerfuldom 04:51 PM 08-28-2012
Do you have a clear late policy that was outlined and discussed in your contract/interview? Did you go over your expectations again when they showed up late?

I wouldnt term over one late show....but I would be very clear that it was not to happen again.
JenNJ 05:03 PM 08-28-2012
They returned the signed contract last week. My late policy is clear and the termination policy outlines that lateness is a cause for immediate termination. I sent the late fee email.

I have had families here for 3+ years that have NEVER been late. So really this is unacceptable to me. I had somewhere important to be for my children and I missed it because of them. I

f I do not get an apology, I will terminate. I am not walking into a relationship where I and my time are not respected. Thanks for the clarity ladies, I appreciate it.
daycare 05:34 PM 08-28-2012
Originally Posted by JenNJ:
They returned the signed contract last week. My late policy is clear and the termination policy outlines that lateness is a cause for immediate termination. I sent the late fee email.

I have had families here for 3+ years that have NEVER been late. So really this is unacceptable to me. I had somewhere important to be for my children and I missed it because of them. I

f I do not get an apology, I will terminate. I am not walking into a relationship where I and my time are not respected. Thanks for the clarity ladies, I appreciate it.
I had a family do this one time during trial period. I quickly reminded them right away of my policy. I did not get an apology, instead I got oh I didn't think you were serious. ok I let that one go. Two days later, late again, with phone call but 15 minutes late. I hand DCM a late slip. She looks and me and said I called. Yup I know, but you were still late. She got mad at me. I said can I ask you a question? Sure she says. What would you do if you had to work over time one day, missing out on your precious family time and then your boss says they are not going to pay you. ( not saying that she is your boss) The dcm says enough said, I get it. She paid me and was not late again.

This family is still here after two years, but It took me putting my foot down the first second things got out of line.

Perhaps you need to let the DCM know that you are serious and next time there will be a late fee and if it becomes a habit, you may terminate care.....
Crazy8 06:40 PM 08-28-2012

That sucks!! Tomorrow morning I would hand them a slip with the late fee for tonight and a copy of your late policy and I would let them know that it will not happen again. Did you call them?? I would have been calling at 5 min. late if I had somewhere to be!!!

I'm a little wimpy with confrontation so I often use my dc fb page for stuff like this - just reminding them that my kids have practices, etc. in the evenings and I need to be out the door right behind them and that late pick ups are not tolerated.
Blackcat31 08:14 AM 08-29-2012

Have they addressed it yet?

I agree with you....no apology, no acknowledgement or explaination WITH the full late fee and I would term IMMEDIATLEY.

NOT a good way to start out. I also have had parents here for years...who have never been late so it isn't asking too terribly much.
Meyou 09:24 AM 08-29-2012
I would term unless they apologized when they paid the late fee.
JenNJ 11:18 AM 08-29-2012
Nothing said about it yet. Late fee is due with payment on Friday. I am emailing out the written late notice this evening. We shall see.
Reply Up