Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Who Else Can Commiserate?
Evansmom 01:00 PM 05-21-2013
New DCF, Perfect family! Took first month to transition DCB gradually to a group environment. Everything going awesome until in their 2nd month here (first month full time) they take a week vacation. Now DCB screams all day. I'm at the end of my rope and so is everyone here.

How can a child go from being so happy and perfect to a screaming sad child in one week?

Could this be just from having his schedule messed with? Did he forget about daycare? DCB is 20 months. Thoughts, advice, opinions? Share stories, commiserate please I'm having a rough day and feeling isolated.
Heidi 01:04 PM 05-21-2013
aww....

He'll be ok....just give him a few days.
Evansmom 01:19 PM 05-21-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
aww....

He'll be ok....just give him a few days.
Thanks!

Part of me knows this is probably true and the other part of me (the part listening to the screaming) thinks "this is going to last forrrrrreverrrrr!!!"

But seriously, I did have a long term family who I had their DCG1 for 2 years before DCG2 was born, took on DCG2 and all was well. We closed for Christmas break, they come back and baby screams for 3 months, won't take a bottle!!! It was awful! So I'm kinda scarred by that. That family finally left bc DCM decided to stay home and thank goodness!
Cradle2crayons 01:24 PM 05-21-2013
I agree...l after a vacation I can see where they would be a little confused.... My current kids aren't like that... My drop ins are AWESOME... And my special medical dcg will be gone 10 days in the hospital and that is very traumatic but returns like nothing ever happened. Funny thing is that she won't stay with her grandma or aunt... But loves me lol
Willow 05:33 PM 05-21-2013
Ear infection?
Evansmom 05:37 PM 05-21-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
Ear infection?
Great minds think alike! I thought the exact same thing this morning. I mentioned it to his parents but they think bc he has no fever he's fine.

Or teething? 2 yo molars?

Whatever it is, lordy. If tomorrow is like today I don't know how I'll make it through the week.
Sugar Magnolia 05:39 PM 05-21-2013
Ear infection?
Excellent point!

I'm.so sorry you are in scream-mode. I think he will adjust back. Its.awful being in Screamville all.day.
cheerfuldom 08:49 PM 05-21-2013
One of my families took their little one to Europe for a week and it took several weeks (2 months?) to get her fully back on track. I honestly think she was practically traumatized with the travel, time change, food changes, people, smells, etc, etc. Vacations are very tough on kids, especially busy vacations where every day is jam packed with activities and crowds.
Evansmom 05:49 AM 05-22-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
One of my families took their little one to Europe for a week and it took several weeks (2 months?) to get her fully back on track. I honestly think she was practically traumatized with the travel, time change, food changes, people, smells, etc, etc. Vacations are very tough on kids, especially busy vacations where every day is jam packed with activities and crowds.
This family went out of the country too. I wonder if that's what happened. Then they got back late the day before they came back here. So I agree, it had to have been quite unsettling for the little guy.

Sigh, I hope today is better for my sake and the sake of my group. Plus I have an interview today...this should be interesting Ugh.
Greenplasticwateringcans 07:34 AM 05-22-2013
Originally Posted by Evansmom:
New DCF, Perfect family! Took first month to transition DCB gradually to a group environment. Everything going awesome until in their 2nd month here (first month full time) they take a week vacation. Now DCB screams all day. I'm at the end of my rope and so is everyone here.

How can a child go from being so happy and perfect to a screaming sad child in one week?

Could this be just from having his schedule messed with? Did he forget about daycare? DCB is 20 months. Thoughts, advice, opinions? Share stories, commiserate please I'm having a rough day and feeling isolated.
Aww..that's so hard.

I had one little guy last year who was great until winter break. 2 weeks alone with "fun" Dad and the kid came back as the worst daycare child I have ever had. I tried to stick it out but ended up terming after 4 months. The parents, both equally, were in denial and one day at pick up I said "I'm done, here's your refund".

Most of my daycare kids come back a little out of routine after a break but settle within a few hours.

My thought, with him being so little, is that it's teeth or an ear infection. You don't have to have a fever with an ear infection either.
butterfly 12:55 PM 05-22-2013
Teething?! That's the answer I always get from the parents....

Sorry!
Willow 01:00 PM 05-22-2013
Update?

I hope things are going better for you today!
Evansmom 02:21 PM 05-22-2013
Update?

I hope things are going better for you today!
Thanks for asking!

Well the morning was great! It's seemed like he had remembered us! But after nap DCB is mad and still tired I guess bc everything is making him cry again. The other kids are playing "explorers" right now and looking through play binoculars. Apparently he is feeling super accosted by the play binoculars and screaming....

Interview should be here any minute. Lovely.
Tags:ear infection
Reply Up