Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Taking Care Of Children With Starband
Aniu 09:32 AM 03-31-2014
Hi

I'm new to this site, but I have been a provider for over 9 years .
Anyways... I've been watching this child for about 5 months now, he's great and the parents are great His doctor recently prescribed him with a Starband (helmet?, I'm not sure what they are called). I have to make sure he doesn't get sweaty and if he does I have to wash his head or wipe it, dry the helmet and his head with a blow dryer.
The first day (tomorrow) I have to keep it on for an hour then take it off a hour and so on throughout the day. Second day keep it on 2 hours take it off 1 hour and so on..It goes on like this all the way to the 5th day..and then it's on for 23 hours. Have any providers cared for a child in a Starband? I feel like it will be too much work (not saying because I'm lazy) I have other children and one more is starting in 2 weeks and with the transformation, adjusting, and trying to keep the mew child on schedule, it takes a lot of work. The children I care to for now are from ages 12 months- 16 months. The new child will be 12 months in 2 weeks. Although this one with the STARBAND is only 10 months and a preemie. He is a lot of work because he is very behind I have given him much of time already that I should of given other kids in fair amount. I think I'm going to have to tell the parent I'm afraid I won't be able to continue the service
Does anyone have any advice before I take this step??
Thank you!
-Aniu
Blackcat31 09:35 AM 03-31-2014
Welcome to the forum!

I have no experience with anything like that but maybe other forum members will have some input/advice for you!
Cradle2crayons 10:07 AM 03-31-2014
Originally Posted by Aniu:
Hi

I'm new to this site, but I have been a provider for over 9 years .
Anyways... I've been watching this child for about 5 months now, he's great and the parents are great His doctor recently prescribed him with a Starband (helmet?, I'm not sure what they are called). I have to make sure he doesn't get sweaty and if he does I have to wash his head or wipe it, dry the helmet and his head with a blow dryer.
The first day (tomorrow) I have to keep it on for an hour then take it off a hour and so on throughout the day. Second day keep it on 2 hours take it off 1 hour and so on..It goes on like this all the way to the 5th day..and then it's on for 23 hours. Have any providers cared for a child in a Starband? I feel like it will be too much work (not saying because I'm lazy) I have other children and one more is starting in 2 weeks and with the transformation, adjusting, and trying to keep the mew child on schedule, it takes a lot of work. The children I care to for now are from ages 12 months- 16 months. The new child will be 12 months in 2 weeks. Although this one with the STARBAND is only 10 months and a preemie. He is a lot of work because he is very behind I have given him much of time already that I should of given other kids in fair amount. I think I'm going to have to tell the parent I'm afraid I won't be able to continue the service
Does anyone have any advice before I take this step??
Thank you!
-Aniu
I have had a few of those and really they sound intimidating at first but they really aren't.

If it's not something you Can accomodate, then have the parents start the process.

Day one they put it on when they get home for an hour... And take it off for an hour starting on a Friday... Then Saturday..on for two...etc... By Monday it should be on when they get to you with only one removal... And the hardest should be over by then...

Just an option....
Childminder 11:17 AM 03-31-2014
I have had two children with them and it was not a big deal. I agree that the child could be acclimated to it by Monday if the parent starts at home on Friday. If it is not done EXACTLY like they say it will NOT be the end of the world. The baby will sweat, some more than others. I just leave the helmet on and the parents do the removal on their time.
mrsp'slilpeeps 11:18 AM 03-31-2014
Both my daughter and son wore a star band. The fist week is just for them trying to get used to them, They can be quite painful for a while. I had to clean their bands with rubbing alcohol, then let air dry for the hour they didn't have to have it on 2 times a day. Its really not all that bad and it just becomes routine.

You can do it.
KIDZRMYBIZ 11:29 AM 03-31-2014
My oh my. How did anyone 40 and over ever survive childhood? lol

Yes, absolutely, they need to wait till Friday to start the process, or use some of those PTO days and (here's the kicker, are you ready?) keep the child home. Why in the world would they think they can load the worst part of it off on their DC provider?!?! Give me a break...
butterfly 11:30 AM 03-31-2014
I've had one child with this. It's really not a big deal. Sounds intimidating, but really not much work. I look at it like having to put on/take off a child's shoes or another article of clothing. It doesn't require a lot of time on my part.
mrsp'slilpeeps 11:37 AM 03-31-2014
Here is my daughter in 2002 and my son in 2006 with their star bands. It was so funny when I would take my sons off, he would scratch and rub his own head, till his eyes rolled in the back of his head because it felt so good!
Attached: star band.jpg (28.2 KB) star band 2.jpg (32.5 KB) 
melilley 11:47 AM 03-31-2014
Excuse my lack of knowledge, but what are these used for? I have never heard of them.
mrsp'slilpeeps 11:56 AM 03-31-2014
They are for children that have flat spots on their head. It keeps pressure off of the flat spot so it can round out again. This is more common now because babies are supposed to sleep on their backs. Tummy time is highly encouraged but some times it's not enough. Or for my kids it was part genetics and they hated tummy time and refused to stay on their tummies long enough .
melilley 11:58 AM 03-31-2014
Originally Posted by mrsp'slilpeeps:
They are for children that have flat spots on their head. It keeps pressure off of the flat spot so it can round out again. This is more common now because babies are supposed to sleep on their backs. Tummy time is highly encouraged but some times it's not enough. Or for my kids it was part genetics and they hated tummy time and refused to stay on their tummies long enough .
Oh, I see, thank you.
sahm1225 06:25 PM 03-31-2014
@lilpeeps - one of my dcb needs the homer but insurance won't cover it. Are you familiar with any tips to help the dcf get it approved?

Then I was also wondering - what would've happened to your two kiddos if they didn't want the helmets? Would their heads eventually round out with them sitting & crawling?

Your kiddos are adorable by the way!
Aniu 08:05 PM 03-31-2014
Originally Posted by mrsp'slilpeeps:
Here is my daughter in 2002 and my son in 2006 with their star bands. It was so funny when I would take my sons off, he would scratch and rub his own head, till his eyes rolled in the back of his head because it felt so good!

Hehe they are simply too cute!
Aniu 08:09 PM 03-31-2014
Originally Posted by KIDZRMYBIZ:
My oh my. How did anyone 40 and over ever survive childhood? lol

Yes, absolutely, they need to wait till Friday to start the process, or use some of those PTO days and (here's the kicker, are you ready?) keep the child home. Why in the world would they think they can load the worst part of it off on their DC provider?!?! Give me a break...

I really wish they would wait until Friday, but what am I to do. I Mean can I ask the parents if they can wait until Friday? I think they should just wait out of consideration. .I'd feel weird asking them too:/
Actually they started last Friday..Although on either Saturday or Sunday he ran a fever and they had to take it off...and start over(
sahm1225 08:37 PM 03-31-2014
I really wish they would wait until Friday, but what am I to do. I Mean can I ask the parents if they can wait until Friday? I think they should just wait out of consideration. .I'd feel weird asking them too:/
Actually they started last Friday..Although on either Saturday or Sunday he ran a fever and they had to take it off...and start over(
You should tell them that you are not comfortable doing it. I'm jot sure why you feel Weird telling them NO. They didn't feel weird asking you to do it. They are the parents, let them do the hard work.
SilverSabre25 08:42 PM 03-31-2014
they definitely need to do it on their own time

that's just silly to ask you to. surely another few days won't make that much of a difference.
Sunshine74 09:24 PM 03-31-2014
A little OT, but I just read a story about an artist who paints these. I thought it might be of some interest http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_4988631.html
Cradle2crayons 04:26 AM 04-01-2014
Sounds like they can wait and start again this coming Friday.
CraftyMom 06:11 AM 04-01-2014
Originally Posted by Sunshine74:
A little OT, but I just read a story about an artist who paints these. I thought it might be of some interest http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_4988631.html
Those are awesome!
LadyPearl 07:29 AM 04-01-2014
I am not familiar with the helmets but I'm the type of parent who would want to do this myself in my own home.
drseuss 07:46 AM 04-01-2014
One of my infants is in one right now. The schedule for the first day or two is just something you have to do, then you really won't have to deal with it again. It is a non-issue.
drseuss 07:50 AM 04-01-2014
I hope that my reply didn't come out wrong. When I say it is a non-issue, I mean that there is nothing to worry about and that it is not a difficult thing to deal with at all. The baby will get used to it after a few days. If it is adjusted properly, the baby's head should not sweat and you should not have to deal with the cleaning, blow-drying, etc. I have to wonder if the dcp's aren't making a bigger deal out of it than it really is.
Tags:head support, starband
Reply Up