Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Want to change my hours
Unregistered 10:53 AM 03-17-2015
I am coming up on my 1 year mark with my daycare kids and so it is time to renew contracts. Currently my hours are 7:30 to 5:30. I want to change to closing at 5:00. I am up open and ready at 730 because that is what my parents wanted but my parents don't show up until almost 8 and sometimes a little after and don't pickup until 5:30 on the dot. How do I go about stating that I want to start closing at 5:00? I need some guidance on how to let them know.
Annalee 10:56 AM 03-17-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I am coming up on my 1 year mark with my daycare kids and so it is time to renew contracts. Currently my hours are 7:30 to 5:30. I want to change to closing at 5:00. I am up open and ready at 730 because that is what my parents wanted but my parents don't show up until almost 8 and sometimes a little after and don't pickup until 5:30 on the dot. How do I go about stating that I want to start closing at 5:00? I need some guidance on how to let them know.
"Beginning on xxxx date, xxxx child care will begin closing at 5:00 PM." If/when they ask about the change, be non-negotiable..."I understand your view, however, this is how xxx child care will run effective on xxx date." Good luck!
Blackcat31 10:57 AM 03-17-2015
Do you KNOW that none of your patents work til 5 so that the 5:00 closing wont affect their jobs?

I have some advice on how to make this change am doing lunch so when everyone is settled down, I'll come back and post some more...
Unregistered 11:00 AM 03-17-2015
Originally Posted by Annalee:
"Beginning on xxxx date, xxxx child care will begin closing at 5:00 PM." If/when they ask about the change, be non-negotiable..."I understand your view, however, this is how xxx child care will run effective on xxx date." Good luck!
Thank you. I am so nervous because I don't want to cause any hard feelings or lose them. And I am a person who always takes everything to heart and is always concerned with how others feel and what they think of me. Makes doing business hard.
Annalee 11:04 AM 03-17-2015
Thank you. I am so nervous because I don't want to cause any hard feelings or lose them. And I am a person who always takes everything to heart and is always concerned with how others feel and what they think of me. Makes doing business hard.
I have been there as well, been in child care since 1992. Just passing forward some helpful info given to me from my mentor. I actually close at 4:30 now....no, my parents aren't all off at this time but I have learned if a client wants your services, they WILL make it work. Half of the children in my care (licensed for 12) are picked up by someone other than their parents. I have children and realized a few years ago, I have to protect myself...i.e. allow time for my own family. Change is hard! Be professional, do not try to explain, just state what the new rule will be regarding closing time or anything else!
Shell 11:04 AM 03-17-2015
BC definitely knows how to do it, so I won't give any advice because hers will likely be better
I did this after my first year as well. I had to term one family to make it happen, but found I was able to do 8 to 5 with no problems from anyone.
The shorter day makes all the difference!
Unregistered 11:05 AM 03-17-2015
Do I talk with them and say this what I want to do can you make it work or do I just simply say this is what I want and that's that. The parents are at work until pickup but I don't know that they have to be.
Annalee 11:10 AM 03-17-2015
Do I talk with them and say this what I want to do can you make it work or do I just simply say this is what I want and that's that. The parents are at work until pickup but I don't know that they have to be.
I use the non-negotiable approach because it seems when I didn't there were always clients who wanted to compromise which only meant "make the rules for everyone else". There are provider friends of mine whom changed the rules for new clients and then the older gradually aged out. Whatever you are comfortable with. I, personally, am tired of compromise. It took me a LONG time to get where I am now and I DO NOT want to go back!
Indoorvoice 11:25 AM 03-17-2015
Oops, I just wrote a thread similar to this issue! I will be watching for advice. I too struggle with making everyone want to be comfortable but myself.
nanglgrl 11:45 AM 03-17-2015
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I have been there as well, been in child care since 1992. Just passing forward some helpful info given to me from my mentor. I actually close at 4:30 now....no, my parents aren't all off at this time but I have learned if a client wants your services, they WILL make it work. Half of the children in my care (licensed for 12) are picked up by someone other than their parents. I have children and realized a few years ago, I have to protect myself...i.e. allow time for my own family. Change is hard! Be professional, do not try to explain, just state what the new rule will be regarding closing time or anything else!
This is very true. I'm actually quite shocked at the amount of people that say they need later hours but when I explain how my pricing goes up after 3:30 they can suddenly pick up much earlier. I only have 2 families that need care after 3:30, one family has a college student pick up and take them home, they pay her instead of me the other has mom drop off and dad picks up. I prefer getting off earlier to any amount of money.
Annalee 11:49 AM 03-17-2015
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:
This is very true. I'm actually quite shocked at the amount of people that say they need later hours but when I explain how my pricing goes up after 3:30 they can suddenly pick up much earlier. I only have 2 families that need care after 3:30, one family has a college student pick up and take them home, they pay her instead of me the other has mom drop off and dad picks up. I prefer getting off earlier to any amount of money.

Reply Up